How to not toss your cookies?

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My GoPro skills suck! New to the game, just bought a Hero Black 9... what are you using for settings to make videos posted to IG not herky jerky? Any tips on mounting for snowmobiling so can see part of sled yet part of where you're going? Is it a setting issue to get a deeper view? Old dog trying to learn new tricks... with no kid in the house to help.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh boy, here I thought you were talking about how to puke lmfao

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With my old Hero, i had the app on my phone, was able to check the view in the staging area. Don't know how the new ones work if there's a similar way of checking and controlling the camera. Handy on the trail to delete garbage and show off the good stuff to buds!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My GoPro skills suck! New to the game, just bought a Hero Black 9... what are you using for settings to make videos posted to IG not herky jerky? Any tips on mounting for snowmobiling so can see part of sled yet part of where you're going? Is it a setting issue to get a deeper view? Old dog trying to learn new tricks... with no kid in the house to help.

with a hero9 it has unreal image stabiization you shouldnt have to do anything to it. Should be butter smooth right from the camera

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure if it's mounted on the bars it will shake. On your helmet not so much.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found a chest mount to be much better. Your body moves around less than your head, and the angle to the snow is better. If you want to show your bars with a helmet mount it'll be at too steep an angle to see much of anything else ahead of you.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The good angles show very little of the helmet/visor/bars/sled. People are interested in where you are going and seeing the snow/trees whipping by. 1/4 and/or 1/3rd of the screen with helmet/sled isn't what you want, IMHO. Cut it way back so people see "the scenery"! Set up, I find, is by trial and error but it is pretty easy.

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
with a hero9 it has unreal image stabiization you shouldnt have to do anything to it. Should be butter smooth right from the camera

When I look at the video on the camera the stabilization is great, just when posted to IG it seems jerky from frame to frame. Wondering if there's a better setting in terms of picture quality (e.g. 4K at 60 frames per second) or something that's causing it?

crazy_cappa

Reaction score
I just got a chin mount to try. I like the go pro recording where my eyes are looking but also being able to see the ski's a bit so you can tell how your manipulating the sled, ski lift and whatnot.

Complexd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just when posted to IG it seems jerky from frame to frame.
What are you recording it in right now? Maybe IG cannot handle that type of resolution to upload? I know when 720/60 first came out Windows Media Player couldnt even play 60fps without lagging.

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are you recording it in right now? Maybe IG cannot handle that type of resolution to upload? I know when 720/60 first came out Windows Media Player couldnt even play 60fps without lagging.

2.7K/60/wideview

Complexd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2.7K/60/wideview
Quick google search says they recommend a minimum 720/30 but cant seem to find maximums. I'd suggest trying 1080/60. I also used the Superview on my Hero 5 (maybe the same as wideview on the 9) which I prefer for sledding.

Also I second Cappa, the chin mount which I called the Crimson Chin Mod works awesome. You look a little goofy, but you can point it far enough ahead you can see your line and the terrain but still get the handle bars and hood in it

longtrack 156

Reaction score
I have had a tried to use Go Pro for years, the only way I can get anything is set it in 90 deg wide angle and I still have to use lens correction to get a decent scene. Action is impossible as at 90 deg. setting the image stabilization is not good enough.
This is the best I can get;

Go Pro 3.jpg

This is what I see typically on youtube - difficult to see if you are on flat ground because of the lens distortion;

Go Pro 1.jpg Go Pro 2.jpg

Top Bottom