How to find a cat

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the site and really enjoy all of the information. Thank you. My husband and I purchased sleds this year. His is a summit 700, and mine is an arctic cat powder special 600efi. We spend all of our riding from home out her in the mountains by Creston. Nothing fancy but unlimited trails that go on forever. At least 4times per week we take the kids a few kms up to an awesome tobogganing hill. We load up the skimmer, 4 small kids, 2 adult kids, toboggans, hot chocolate etc. The other days we go play on the trails and in the powder. My husbands sled has been a bit disappointing. Handles like a tank. We have been trying to find another powder special, but can not find any, auto trader, kijiji, craiglist, snow and mud classified are the ones I have looked at. I think there was one in Saskatchewan, but one closer to home, even in Calgary would be great.
does anyone know where else to look?

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the Classified section right here in the website. It's been a while since I was on it, but there might be one there. You can always post a want ad on there. I'm sure your husband's machine just needs some adjustments to make it handle better. Good Luck with your search.

CATPRIDE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let me know how much you want to spend, year, make, model etc... I can check things out here for you.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much. For a Powder Special he was thinking about paying around 3500-3700. We were looking at the classifieds and there are a few that could work. My husband has done some adjustments on his sled to try to get it back to a stock like feel. Limiter straps and stuff. The guy who had it spent alot of money on it enhancing it's hill climbing abilities. He lengthened the track, raised the handlebars, lowered the windshield etc. Things that are cool, but not exactly what he wants. It is a beautiful, reliable, 2 pull start from cold sled. In all honesty we feel "old!" Just looking for an easy rippin around sled. Do you think wider ski's would make a difference?

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what your husband riding , I had a 2000 700 with a 136" track , handled great , set up is key , get suspension set up for riding style will make a world of differnce

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We used to run our summits with the limiter strap on the last bolt "longest". But a little more info might help, which year,track lenth etc

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My husband says. " it has a 144" track, handle bars were raised 2", the previous owner set the clutch spring so it would gear up faster." He says it is just very hard to steer. It seems to fight constantly so you have to work very hard to keep it in line. It feels literally like a tank. Runs super strong though, easy start. Thanks for your help. If he can get the balance back into his sled it would be the perfect machine.

spike7ss

Reaction score
What year are you looking for? I have one, dont know if I would want to sell, but know of a couple other ones out there.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what your husband riding , I had a 2000 700 with a 136" track , handled great , set up is key , get suspension set up for riding style will make a world of differnce
Hi, I am still figuring out this posting thing... Hope this works. He has a 2000 700 summit. The person he bought it from put a 144" track on it, raised the handlebars 2" and adjusted the clutch to give it a quicker response of the start. He was tailoring it to hill climb and snow drags. Not the greatest for trails. Overkill also brought to our attention that it has skis on it that may not be stock. Too narrow to give him a comfortable ride. Thanks to his advice my husband is out there right now checking the ski alignment and ski type. You guys are awesome with the information. He is pumped for it runs so great and has so much power!

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tell your husband to lengthen the limitor strap on the suspension , it is found at the front of your rear suspension , this will relieve some spring pressure , it may done with bolts or it may have a large plastic nut you can back off , sit on the bumper for him and it will allow him to do this easier , keep us posted

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My husband says. " it has a 144" track, handle bars were raised 2", the previous owner set the clutch spring so it would gear up faster." He says it is just very hard to steer. It seems to fight constantly so you have to work very hard to keep it in line. It feels literally like a tank. Runs super strong though, easy start. Thanks for your help. If he can get the balance back into his sled it would be the perfect machine.

There is too much pressure on the ski's, have your husband adjust the limiter strap a little more so it eases up on the pressure on the ski's.

The clutching and handle bar risers are normal for running in the mountains and will not effect the handling.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am still figuring out this posting thing... Hope this works. He has a 2000 700 summit. The person he bought it from put a 144" track on it, raised the handlebars 2" and adjusted the clutch to give it a quicker response of the start. He was tailoring it to hill climb and snow drags. Not the greatest for trails. Overkill also brought to our attention that it has skis on it that may not be stock. Too narrow to give him a comfortable ride. Thanks to his advice my husband is out there right now checking the ski alignment and ski type. You guys are awesome with the information. He is pumped for it runs so great and has so much power!

If they are not stock skis and the carbid runners are dull have your husband look at the double carbide runner from Stud Boy, this will help keep the skis from darting around so much and add control for him.

I found 2 powder specials in the Edmonton area that are for sale in the rv trader.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He's going to ease the tension on his limiter straps even more and He's going to check out the runner suggested too, thanks dale dalueg! Very very grateful for the information.
Thanks again!

inthemnts

Reaction score
living in creston has its advantages have you checked craigs lists spokane lots of great deals on sleds close and very easy to bring home for you
just phone the border they fax the papers to you give them 48 hours notice they check the vin to see if it s stolen you pay gst and a riv fee then pozniak inspects you are good to go (if you bring a skidoo acros they want recall letter to register BRP wants 250 for the recall letter you can get around this by having a skidoo dealer playmore sports did it for us print a service history and send it as your recall letter)
good luck

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was looking on craigslist before I bought mine. . I was so excited one night I found a Powder Special with the Mellinium hood. It was a scam. I couldn't believe all the scams. There were others that were on the up and up and great to deal with. I have a P.O. Box in Porthill, so I can get parts and stuff in cheap. There was a dealer in Montana Bear Paw Motor sports?) who had a powder special I just about bid on ebay. Would have worked out to the same as what we paid. Our dollar really is not very good now though. Haven't been ebaying it up lately.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
living in creston has its advantages have you checked craigs lists spokane lots of great deals on sleds close and very easy to bring home for you
just phone the border they fax the papers to you give them 48 hours notice they check the vin to see if it s stolen you pay gst and a riv fee then pozniak inspects you are good to go (if you bring a skidoo acros they want recall letter to register BRP wants 250 for the recall letter you can get around this by having a skidoo dealer playmore sports did it for us print a service history and send it as your recall letter)
good luck

Sounds like you know the area. My husband workes with guys who have bought sleds in Idaho. I think one guy tried to fudge the value and got in trouble. But overall it seems to be an easy process. Do you know where the best place to buy gear, and parts close by? Been to a shop in Nelson when my husband was servicing his Kawasaki Vulcan. There are a couple in Cranbrook, but I want to find fun things like No fog masks and blue tinted goggles with a quick strap, and nice pants that don't leak.

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a line on TWO powder specials right now which are private deals in my home town. I'm trying to get one for the Fiancee, but I don't think I'll be able to swing it this year. A good friend has a 98 600 EFI, New clutch and stator...good shape aside from a tear in the seat....$2500.00.

Another friend has a 99(I think)500 PS that is EFI, new top end last year,clutc and stator as well.....(must be a common thing those stators)The first one is BLK and the 2nd is white. The 500 looks mint with no problem's, and I think he is asking around the same $ for his. Pm me if your intrested and I will contact them for you. Sad I can't get one for the ol' lady....just bad time of the year for cash right now.:mad:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you know the area. My husband workes with guys who have bought sleds in Idaho. I think one guy tried to fudge the value and got in trouble. But overall it seems to be an easy process. Do you know where the best place to buy gear, and parts close by? Been to a shop in Nelson when my husband was servicing his Kawasaki Vulcan. There are a couple in Cranbrook, but I want to find fun things like No fog masks and blue tinted goggles with a quick strap, and nice pants that don't leak.

Lots of people travelling from big cities through Creston. If you find something that is available here, just post up a thread about anyone going to the Kootenays, usually someone is. I'm going home to Castlegar from Calgary this week (Thurs) and I usually make 5-6 trips a year. I sent you a PM.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a line on TWO powder specials right now which are private deals in my home town. I'm trying to get one for the Fiancee, but I don't think I'll be able to swing it this year. A good friend has a 98 600 EFI, New clutch and stator...good shape aside from a tear in the seat....$2500.00.

Another friend has a 99(I think)500 PS that is EFI, new top end last year,clutc and stator as well.....(must be a common thing those stators)The first one is BLK and the 2nd is white. The 500 looks mint with no problem's, and I think he is asking around the same $ for his. Pm me if your intrested and I will contact them for you. Sad I can't get one for the ol' lady....just bad time of the year for cash right now.:mad:

Everyone on this site has been so helpful with my husbands sled he is no longer thinking about a sled like mine. The out cry from all the doo guys was really funny! His sled is running and handling much better now, if he gets a different one he saw a 2004 mountain cat on the site that he is strongly considering. For me I am so thankful for my sled and the way that it handles for me. They are very user friendly easy to handle. Thanks.

Top Bottom