How to buy a used sled - Tips and Advice

Fahrns

Reaction score
Hello S&M community!

I'm a first time sled buyer and I'm looking for advice on what to look and ask for when buying used. I have been building my knowledge reading the forums and I've narrowed my search down to an 09-11 M8 Sno Pro. Ideally low milage and at least a year of warranty left.

What should I be looking for when viewing sled? What signs should I be looking for in the following:
Track
Engine
Instruments
Body
Suspension
Oil
Ease of start-up
Controls
Brakes
Drive system
Electrical

What kind of questions should I be asking?
Has anyone here ever had a used sled inspected prior to purchase? How much should that cost?

Thanks for your advice and comments.
Looking forward to joining you out in the mountains!

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look at amount of miles, track condition and overall condition.
I ask to see records if they have them, every part I buy I keep the receipt but do the work myself.

I prefer sleds with little or no modifications, I don't want someone else's turbo or big bored junk that they are trying to dump.

Depending on your budget look at new sleds, places like T&T Powersports have some new in crate 09's. I drove from Brandon MB to pick up a sled in Bonnyville from T&T. Tell Terry I sent you his way, and you want the same smokin deal I got last year.

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f261/new-non-currents-arrived-today-52124.html

http://www.ttpowersports.com/products.cfm?catid=4636

Last edited:

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every sled is different and picking the one for you depends on your experience and where you plan to ride.
The
track should not have much ware if its low milage but check for missing lugs,clips,etc.
engine check forn aftermarket bolt ons tells you abit about who owned it. You can have a mech. check it for comp.
instruments not an issue
body look to see if its straight such as the tunnel.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
suspension shouldnt sag.
oil see if it has any
the rest should be self explanatory

If it looks like it has been through ww11 then it probaly has

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends on the age of the machine and where it was ridden. Some of the machines here in Manitoba get thousands of miles a year. Mine on the other hand is a 2007 and has less than 400 miles, bought it in Dec 2010 and was a noncurrent machine from T&T. Only got one trip to the mountains and a few flatland days in last year. Maxwell on the other hand has over 7000 km on his ski doo and its only a few years old.

Take a look in the classifieds here and see how many miles some of the machines have on them, anywhere from 900 to 1000 a year is average.

Last edited:

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd say if your really want the sled get someone who knows there stuff about sleds to come with you then you also wont get it just cause you like the looks or something like that opinion good luck

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take someone with you. Bolt ons are ok, overall condition of sled is more important. If the machine has been living outside or trailered on an open trailer - look for signs of salt corrosion in engine compartment. Clutches should be clean, chaincase or diamond drive oil clean, the sled shouldn't be an oily mess under the hood. Look for signs of grease / oil on belt guard and on PTO side of engine - bad news if you see this. Should see grease on suspension pivots - ask for maintenance records. Get promises and warranty in writing, and if buying from a dealer, pick a good one, such as T&T Powersports in Bonnyville. Don't fall in love with a paint job or add on bling items - focus on the mechanical and functional items.

ratpak

Reaction score
If you find one online, make sure you ask for current pictures before you go to see it. A few years ago, a guy on S&M was selling a "near mint" sled and the pictures looked awesome. It turned out the pics were taken right after he bought the sled 2 years earlier.

When I drove an hour to the middle of nowhere to buy it, with cash in hand, I found the guy living in an old beat up travel trailer in the woods and the sled was beat to hell and obviously NOT taken care of.

I drove back to the city and bought a new one instead. Lesson learned...

Fahrns

Reaction score
Clutches should be clean, chaincase or diamond drive oil clean, the sled shouldn't be an oily mess under the hood. Look for signs of grease / oil on belt guard and on PTO side of engine - bad news if you see this. .
What do you need to open up to inspect the clutches, chaincase and diamond drive? Does someone have pictures of what covers should come off?

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My advice, buy new or take someone with you that knows sleds, than budget for some repairs.

Fahrns

Reaction score
take someone with you that knows sleds

That was my plan, but I'm hear to learn. I'd like to educate myself so I know what to look for.

Does anyone have basic instructions on what to open up to view some of the components I listed above and what to look for when I have them open?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Give Cyle a call. He'll set you on the right track........................................................................................:D

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
look at and check everything ask what or if anything has broke before hopefully theres enough snow when you go look at one to test ride it, good luck

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That was my plan, but I'm hear to learn. I'd like to educate myself so I know what to look for.

Does anyone have basic instructions on what to open up to view some of the components I listed above and what to look for when I have them open?

If you are still considering an M8, give T&T a call, noncurrent is the best way in my opinion.

Sleds are a lot like trucks, buy one that isnt beat up and covered in grease. Most parts are hard to do anything more than visual inspection.

Clutches can be a visual, make sure the surfaces are clean and dont have big knicks in them, give them a shake to make sure they arent lose. Fire the sled up, lift the back end and watch the clutches work.

Diamond drive is pretty hidden and its the internals that have problems(bearings mostly), if you buy used set away some cash for some bearings, they are cheap from a bearing shop.

Also, dont call Cyle, that little snot should try tasting my exhaust fumes to see if the mixture is correct.

Last edited:

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The more you get F'd over the more you learn....And there's lots to learn!...Good luck, take someone that knows the sled you are hoping to buy.;)

Top Bottom