how safe is the road side camping along hwy 11

subzero

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is it safe to camp along hwy 11 west of rocky mountain house?
or on the cow lake road ?
has anyone ever had stuff stolen in these areas ?
maybe around Saunders area ?
around horburg area ?
around the big horn dam area ?
anyone else camping the last week of june or the first week of july in this area ...

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Overall I think it is fairly safe, however in the past I have heard of qaud theft in the Chambers Creek and Horburg areas . Not sure in the other spots but I'm sure it can happen anywhere , not common that I have heard of yet!!

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is it safe to camp along hwy 11 west of rocky mountain house?
or on the cow lake road ?
has anyone ever had stuff stolen in these areas ?
maybe around Saunders area ?
around horburg area ?
around the big horn dam area ?
anyone else camping the last week of june or the first week of july in this area ...
Saunder, Horburg, and BigHorn are all near (ish) to reservations. Draw your own conclusions. We've never had a problem, but we're generally in a group of 3 to 6 RV's and there's always somebody still at camp when we're out riding. Keys out at night...quads parked close to RV's. Cow Lake and Southfork: no issues. There's lots of other people out there doing the same thing we are. If we're gone for the afternoon quadding we generally lock up the RV's and put the gennys out of sight...common sense stuff.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Saunder, Horburg, and BigHorn are all near (ish) to reservations. Draw your own conclusions. We've never had a problem, but we're generally in a group of 3 to 6 RV's and there's always somebody still at camp when we're out riding. Keys out at night...quads parked close to RV's. Cow Lake and Southfork: no issues. There's lots of other people out there doing the same thing we are. If we're gone for the afternoon quadding we generally lock up the RV's and put the gennys out of sight...common sense stuff.

ya we do the same.... i run the winch cable from one quad and run it through all of them and lock the cables together.... if they want it they will take it no matter what tho...

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya we do the same.... i run the winch cable from one quad and run it through all of them and lock the cables together.... if they want it they will take it no matter what tho...
Good idea...never thought of that. Built-in safety chain.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good idea...never thought of that. Built-in safety chain.

ya they have to cut the cable..... like i said if they want it they will take it....

just keeps the more open theves away

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
If you are worried park near you camper buy one of these set it on the a-arm pointing at the tire so no people,anmials, birds, etc set it off if the tire turns on the bike moves the alarm will go off if you ever heard one of there personal alarms they are louder than he!!. You can also buy cheaper ones than have a wrist strap than rings when you pull the strap out (magnetic connection) you can mount under your trailer or truck and put a piece of fishing line from the bike to the strap if it moves the will break the connect and ring.

Now that I gave away one of my secrets don't be snooping around my bike at night cause the last thing you will see is me flying outta a trailer with a bat and trust me you don't wanna see that

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are worried park near you camper buy one of these set it on the a-arm pointing at the tire so no people,anmials, birds, etc set it off if the tire turns on the bike moves the alarm will go off if you ever heard one of there personal alarms they are louder than he!!. You can also buy cheaper ones than have a wrist strap than rings when you pull the strap out (magnetic connection) you can mount under your trailer or truck and put a piece of fishing line from the bike to the strap if it moves the will break the connect and ring.

Now that I gave away one of my secrets don't be snooping around my bike at night cause the last thing you will see is me flying outta a trailer with a bat and trust me you don't wanna see that
NOT IF YER IN YER GINCH ESPECIALLY!:eek:

crmxgirl

Reaction score
We have camped at horburg, jackfish, and most of the places along 11. Never had a problem with anything going missing, but we also have 3 dogs that work like a car alarm to any suspiscious noises. They might be small but dog teeth in your ass tend to scare some away.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Loaded shotgun is my method of choice..And i bring my quad right beside my window,,,and i am a real light sleeeper.
But the alarm like murray said is a nice idea,and a dog would bark before a person heard anything..

Last edited:

Kelzon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
x2 on the Loaded Gun...........but my choice is a 22 semi auto.......not as big a mess...lol.

Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats a good idea Medler as long it's not just after you went to bed after Rye paralizers either you would miss or shoot your self:beer:

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca

Now that I gave away one of my secrets don't be snooping around my bike at night cause the last thing you will see is me flying outta a trailer Nakedwith my bat hangin' out and trust me you don't wanna see that

I wouldn't wanna see that either :eek:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or they can just put the winch in freewheel.

my quads free wheel is falked up........... so no freewheel there..... but yes on a regular one yes.... but i also have a pinch lock that ties the 2 cables together..... u have to cut the cable on either side or cut the lock pin...

SwanHills

Reaction score
We do a lot of camping and quadding in those areas and in the last five years have never had a problem. We do make sure that every thing is put away. So far we have been lucky

Top Bottom