how reliable is the 5.0 litre f150 been

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This engine in versions 2011/14 have they been holding up well.anyone have fairly high kms?

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They knock and burn oil in reasonably high numbers on the forums. Age doesn't seem to matter but the older they are the more prevalent. That said companies eat em up and they don't all obviously have problems. Kind of like the active fuel management ls gm engines. Some go forever trouble free and some don't last 50000 kms. Core shift seems to be an issue with resulting piston to wall issues

Realistically almost every engine that someone builds has a fault of some kind. The ones at work are over 100000 k company bags and they seem to be just fine.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My old boss (dick) drove the **** out his 2011 5.0 tough truck man he should have been on tv. So far so good

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ours has 85,000km on it, ( 2011 4X4 SuperCrew with tow package) has never missed a beat or been to a shop for issues. It has had Amsoil synthetic since new, and worked hard with a combination of my wife"Mariette Andretti" driving it, and me towing stuff at it's max GCWR. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another, heck there isn't even any squeaks / rattles yet, and it is a solid 4X4 off-road. Only gets about 13-14 MPG when towing though...maybe 17 MPG highway when empty at 120+ km/hr

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most are lasting well and going strong. I've seen a couple with 200K km plus and have no problems. Other than the odd lemon, it's fair to say that most people that are having failures are doing so from a lack of maintenance or abuse.

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the motors are fine. Its the rest of the truck thats junk. I drive for work a 2012 F150 extended cab long box. I dont drive it hard at all. only 37000 kms. Has had tons of issues, recently rear diff trouble. power windows not working, etc. but they are cheaper than chev and dodge so i guess you get what you pay for.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the motors are fine. Its the rest of the truck thats junk. I drive for work a 2012 F150 extended cab long box. I dont drive it hard at all. only 37000 kms. Has had tons of issues, recently rear diff trouble. power windows not working, etc. but they are cheaper than chev and dodge so i guess you get what you pay for.

I don't how your getting that fords are the cheapest, last i saw dodge 1\2 tons were by far the cheapest trucks on the market. Everyone i have talked to with a 5.0 has loved it and there haven't been to many failures that we have seen given the amount of them out there, but as i type this i am pulling the engine out of one with 355 000km on it and it has low compression on one hole. Lets just say they are lot better than the 5.4 was in every aspect.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't how your getting that fords are the cheapest, last i saw dodge 1\2 tons were by far the cheapest trucks on the market. Everyone i have talked to with a 5.0 has loved it and there haven't been to many failures that we have seen given the amount of them out there, but as i type this i am pulling the engine out of one with 355 000km on it and it has low compression on one hole. Lets just say they are lot better than the 5.4 was in every aspect.

They were giving the 13's and 14s away is likely why. I mean I bought my XLT to the tune of 39% below MSRP brand new as an example. I mean that's a years depreciation accounted for. My FX4 was still around 30% off and the one I did the deal for my mother took was around 32%. I think the 11-14s were all kind of that way. It's not so now with the 2015 models but I am sure the discounts will come lol. They better.... the price on them is retarded and currently no incentives.

Last edited:

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know the paint isnt very good at 30km the bottom part of the truck was starting to rust between the front and back tire...rocker panels and fenders. The truck was all stock. So i traded it in on a 250 and it sits higher and no paint or rust yet. At 55km.

VanceM

Moose

Reaction score
old mad has a 2011 with 240000km it has never missed a beat

Top Bottom