how much maintenance and work is involved with a dirt bike?

Sportsman500Rider

Reaction score
I am going to get a job soon and thinking of buying a dirt bike. i was wondering what kind of work is invloved with a dirt bike? I would just be trail riding, so how often would i need to check/adjust valves, do an oil change etc.?

machinehead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The four strokes definately require more maintenance than the 2 strokes. Some manufacturer's want you to check valve clearances every 50 hrs, which to me seems like overkill , unless you are racing and bouncing off the redline regularly. This doesn't seem to apply to yourself, as per your post.
I have a CRF250x, and when it starts being hard to start, warm or cold, this is a good indication that the valve clearance needs to be adjusted. Like any other ATV, you need to clean and check wheel and steering bearings, chains, sprockets etc.
Wheel spokes are also necessary on a two wheeler as well. Stuff wears out, as you are usually riding in fairly adverse conditions . Change oils religiously, clean air filters , and you should avoid any major trouble, or trail inconvienences.
I find the one wheel drives to be a blast, and if you get hooked, you will never regret it. I have ridden in almost every terrain, dunes, mud , muskeg rocky, rain, water to the bars, and have enjoyed every minute.
On this site LadyDirt has great reccomendations on some entry level and competetive bikes. I believe she started off with a smaller cc bike and progressed up from there.
Remember the value of good advice, from riders with experience. It can save you a headache down the dusty road.

Top Bottom