how many sleds

Brad62

Reaction score
I haven't done a lot of posting but lots of reading on this site and it's great.

My riding partners have got themselves an enclosed trailer, it was a good deal. It may seem like a crazy question but we were wondering how many mtn sleds you guys think you could stuff in there.

The trailer is a wells cargo with 22' of straight wall, no wheel wells inside, and 5 foot nose. I know it will fit four 155 -162 mtn sleds nose to tail, but we were going to try five angled in. What do you guys think??

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have put 5 in a 28' , pretty much everything touches and it is a pian to walk around in

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
make sure there is tydowns for all the sleds they check trailers for that the guy that hit the ditch 2 years ago piled all the sleds into the front of the trailer a real mess

GRD

Reaction score
I haven't done a lot of posting but lots of reading on this site and it's great.

My riding partners have got themselves an enclosed trailer, it was a good deal. It may seem like a crazy question but we were wondering how many mtn sleds you guys think you could stuff in there.

The trailer is a wells cargo with 22' of straight wall, no wheel wells inside, and 5 foot nose. I know it will fit four 155 -162 mtn sleds nose to tail, but we were going to try five angled in. What do you guys think??

Be careful not to be overweight. Probably be tight!:rolleyes:

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you weld up a cross member in the roof and sintch up the rear end to the roof you could get 6 in there! like dominoes. they need to build a double decker trailer lol

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you weld up a cross member in the roof and sintch up the rear end to the roof you could get 6 in there! like dominoes. they need to build a double decker trailer lol

Not speaking from experience, but I know when they design those trailers they aren't designed to handle load like that. IMO, that's a bad idea!

I think one of my buddy's has a 22' and we could only fit 3. I'm sure if you really pile them in you can get 4. This was on a flat nose 22' I think... Maybe 24?

Another buddy just bought a 26' and that should fit 4 comfortably.

It's amazing how much space sleds take up. Not to mention the pain in the ass they are to strap in when things are that tight.

Hillclimber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not speaking from experience, but I know when they design those trailers they aren't designed to handle load like that. IMO, that's a bad idea!

I think one of my buddy's has a 22' and we could only fit 3. I'm sure if you really pile them in you can get 4. This was on a flat nose 22' I think... Maybe 24?

Another buddy just bought a 26' and that should fit 4 comfortably.

It's amazing how much space sleds take up. Not to mention the pain in the ass they are to strap in when things are that tight.

One word superclamp. way easier to tie a sled down since they have came out with those.

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We put 5 in the same size trailer on a couple occasions and they were all 154" and 163" but as stated above there isn't much room to move around in there. Not sure what you have for axles but someone above said the trailers aren't made for that much weight...Out trailer has 5200lb axles so not a problem @ all...and if I'm not mistaken the smallest you will find on that size of trailer is 3500lb axles so I wouldn't be worried about the trailer being to heavy as long as the vehicle can handle the load...Good luck and happy sledding.

Brad62

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I think they will fit. Probabally wouldn't want to do it every time. Yes the trailer is tandom 3500 torflex so should handle it alright and a one ton pulling so should be all above board with respect to the DOT's.

I have seen in my travels a double decker 4 place trailer that hauled 8 sleds not sure what they pulled it with though.

In the past we have considered hooking up the gooseneck and haul 8 sleds with the party mini van following behind. But never went through with it. Couldn't get everyone on the same page.

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we get five 162's in our 28' plus jerry cans and gear but it is tight though

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I think they will fit. Probabally wouldn't want to do it every time. Yes the trailer is tandom 3500 torflex so should handle it alright and a one ton pulling so should be all above board with respect to the DOT's.

I have seen in my travels a double decker 4 place trailer that hauled 8 sleds not sure what they pulled it with though.

In the past we have considered hooking up the gooseneck and haul 8 sleds with the party mini van following behind. But never went through with it. Couldn't get everyone on the same page.

i think would be pretty tough to get a double decker legal weight wise but sure would'nt be very hard to do. could make the sides so they fold up to so if you have to work in the unit your not hunched over banging your head all the time.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ummm never i have a 30 foot enclosed and it tight to get 5 in well best of luck too u:d

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brad62, you can put 5 - 162" in a 27' enclosed. Load the first one from the front pointing out the back stick it against the wall. Load the next three forward and back the last one in, easy as that! I even throw a Z-120 in the front. They say a picture is worth a thousand words so here you go. This was my first enclosed before I started selling Legends. It was a 27' Haulmark, 22' straight wall with a 5' V-Nose. The key is the 22' straight wall, these things are around 11' long so you need that long a wall to be successful with the Mountain sleds. This works with or without wheel wells. Have fun!

Attachments

• IMG_0456.jpg
    IMG_0456.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0457.jpg
    IMG_0457.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good pic...Thats exactly the way we load ours also...only have to back the last one in.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I had a 24ft(20ft box and 4 ft v) and could only get 4 sleds in(ALFRED NOW OWNS IT).... Now have a 28ft and can put 5 sleds easily in just like firefly has shown in his pics.... Our pics look the same, except our baggage is all over the sleds etc..... Looks messy, but works.

You need to find out if you have 3500 lb axles or 5000lb axles. If you can somehow get 5 sleds and gear etc into your trailer and it only has 3500lb axles, you will be over the gvwr of the trailer. 4 sleds and gear etc, already puts you close....... 5000lb axles are no problem for 5 sleds and all the gear you want.

Just my little 2 cents worth

Top Bottom