How many miles ?

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Iam new to skidoo I have been riding cat for years with great results. How many miles are you guys getting on the xm with out trouble?

rotormech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4600 on my 11 no issues,blew one belt after towing a rt1000 50km and of course self inflicted problems...lol

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have basically the same question. I remember a few years back seeing how everyone said it was time to rebuild the top end or something like you can only expect (in my opinion) a short amount of mileage before you have engine issues. My dad put 25,000 plus miles (the gauge stopped working) on a 86 Exciter and it was and no issue. Yeah I know that sled has nothing for power or technology todays sleds do. I also haven't had any issues with my 04 rev. Everyone had ring issues with that year but my compression has always been good.

So lets say you put 8000km on a new etec now. Just what are you expecting to have for issues then? Starts to make a guy wonder if he should just rent instead of buying or I guess in the opposite approach buy new every year to keep resale value higher. I mean lets say a guy rides 10 days a season (yes that is low but it is pretty decent if you compare distance away from the mountains and time working). So in rental cost that is $3500 a season (but you own nothing) (you also don't have to worry about storage, maintenance, or registration). So in 5 years when the price of a sled will increase you have basically bought a sled just in rental fees. You don't have a sled to sell to put to a new bought sled though is the only thing. Also every time you buy new you end up putting 1500 bucks of accessories on the thing.

Don't get me wrong I actually hate renting sleds. its not your own and you worry about it the whole day. I guess it just gets down to me not having enough time like I did in the past to ride and my distance from the mountains and the cost associated with traveling and staying in the mountains. Throw in the potential motor issues down the road and it just makes a guy think.

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have a point if you only ride 10 days however my last two m8s had aprox 3000 mi each with no major problems only lost $2800 total. Thats some cheep riding. I hope the skidoo will be just as good but they are a lot more money than an off season m8 to purchace. Thanks for the info guys.

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3600 miles on my 2013, hoping for another 3000 this year.. belts go about 6 to 800 miles before pulling cords. runs like new still.. did clutch buttons and orings other than that just summer service.

Top Bottom