How Do You Get A Moose Of The Trail ?

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well ive come across a moose a couple times down in the pass never had an issue with them hanging out on the trail... usually once they hear us coming they tend to be off in the bush pretty quick .... once I have been passed by a moose that was running in the bush those creatures can move pretty quick....

not so sure shooting the moose was the answer and who carries handguns with them when sledding

new_nytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We encountered a moose on the trail up in Frisby last week. We stopped about 50 yards away from it hoping that it would move. After a few minutes when it became obvious it wasn't going to move we inched a little bit closer and the moose started trotting up the trail. We followed it a bit, again hoping that it would get off the trail. There was no way it was going to go off the trail and we didn't want it to keep running up the hill so we made the decision to pass it on the groomed trail. Three of us went by it without much problem (although my ass was biting the seat a bit).

Luckily it was a younger antlerless moose. If it had been a bull, I can bet no one would have went by it...

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We encountered a moose on the trail up in Frisby last week. We stopped about 50 yards away from it hoping that it would move. After a few minutes when it became obvious it wasn't going to move we inched a little bit closer and the moose started trotting up the trail. We followed it a bit, again hoping that it would get off the trail. There was no way it was going to go off the trail and we didn't want it to keep running up the hill so we made the decision to pass it on the groomed trail. Three of us went by it without much problem (although my ass was biting the seat a bit).

Luckily it was a younger antlerless moose. If it had been a bull, I can bet no one would have went by it...

Had a guy here a few years ago try to pass a Moose on the trail. Sled and very nearly him ended up getting destroyed by the Moose. Those things are dangerous unpredictable critters!

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would need the rest of the story, did he report it to the proper authorities after that or just keep riding and let thing suffer, it wasn't dead! The video shows that the thing attacked him unprovoked so I saw he warranted in shooting it but Id be more worried about the guy as he pulled a loaded gun awefully quick, what else is this guy capeable of, say he finds his truck door dinged back at the staging area??

rgashkei

Reaction score
Like already stated, need more info and the other side of the story. Was this a reported agressive moose? Why would he have a hand gun that readily available? There was another sled following, maybe protecting his kid. Can't find much more info on the rest of the story. He could have easily just drove off to the left. Why would you publicly share something like that.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like already stated, need more info and the other side of the story. Was this a reported agressive moose? Why would he have a hand gun that readily available? There was another sled following, maybe protecting his kid. Can't find much more info on the rest of the story. He could have easily just drove off to the left. Why would you publicly share something like that.
I've encountered moose on the trail several times...every time we would approach slowly as to not spook them, the moose (in one case there were two) would always just trot further up the trail. We eventually just waited until the creatures were towards one side of the trail then eased up and pinned it around them, one at a time. Yup...they rear up and it's kinda scary, but no animal, man or machine worse off for wear in the end.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They stay on the trail because they feel very vulnerable in the deep. They often get run down by trains because they won't go into the deep.

We had a Moose on the trail on a very steep switchback logging road so we stopped, shut the sleds off and cracked a beverage. The Moose would not move...after about 10 minutes we heard a weird sound and this calf scrambled up the bank right beside us, scared us.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would need the rest of the story, did he report it to the proper authorities after that or just keep riding and let thing suffer, it wasn't dead! The video shows that the thing attacked him unprovoked so I saw he warranted in shooting it but Id be more worried about the guy as he pulled a loaded gun awefully quick, what else is this guy capeable of, say he finds his truck door dinged back at the staging area??

You really think he is going to pull his firearm because someone dinged his door? Too much CBC.
Only crazy people would pull a gun over something like a dinged door, remember you don't know who has gun including the guy who may have hit the door in the first place.
Guns are only waved around when only one person has one, generally an armed society is a polite society.

The sledder is an azzhole, after the first charge, cut through the bush around the animal

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We, are in their turf, not the other way around.He could have got off of the trail and went around it,
or fired into the air to scare it away.That vid. was made me sick.That guy should loose his gun permit
and go to jail.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody read the comments at the bottom of the page? " You cant simply ride into powder expecting to make it through, snowmobiles sink and when that happens people die." Yeesh!! Verbal diarrhea at its best. :)
Thing that cheeses me of was that the moose was still alive when he tucked his tail and ran. He shouldn't have left it to suffer in my opinion.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just talked to a buddy of mine about this story,he said it's all over face book
like wild fire.At the start of the vid. there is a trail veering off to the left, could
he not have taken that to get around the animal?Maybe yes maybe no? Impossible
to say without knowing the area. Why the he** did he keep pulling closer and closer
even when the animal started retreating?
STUPID STUPID STUPID. IMO,he had many options.
Stay back 50 yards and wait 5 minutes.
Take the trail to the left
Turn around
after all of those options were explored, MAYBE fire a shot into the air.

NAH, I think I'll just fill it full of holes..............

PS. FB. say's the guy called D&R and informed them of the incident.
They went looking for it and found it dead somewhere close by.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the guy is a dirt bag for sure. We came across a moose last week and did the right thing and waited until the moose wandered off. Funny thing was I had a limited entry moose draw and barely saw a moose but now out sledding I see them lots.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should read some of the comments on gun forums. Now those are some real douche bags.

Top Bottom