How do we keep going

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
could have not said it any better myself. Its the only thing that I do that takes my mind off the pressures of life such as running a business and raising a family. I guess it allows me to day dream like no other.

How come I still go? Well for starters there is this inherient human trait that none of us truely believes it will ever actually happen to us!
Secondly, for myself it's what I love, it's the only place or thing that I do that I truely lose myself in, the mountains call to me so strongly that I can't imagine not going! I never feel as alive or at home as I do in the alpine! So when I hear that "call" I go!

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I respect and understand what you are saying but.............

It depends which back-country you are riding as to the stability. Some areas in the province are much better than others. One can't generalize!

Education is the key. When the conditions are dicey, one has to make choices (no reflection on the McBride incident). To the OP, loved ones need to know the conditions and where you ride. My advice to the OP would be to take the wife for a ride and show her where you ride and how you ride. She will be much more understanding with her newly found knowledge of the back-country. I ride with my better half more than half of my riding days and she totally understands the conditions and way we ride.

If we stayed out of the back-country when the conditions, as posted by Avalanche Canada were Considerable, we would be couch potatoes. The danger rating is Considerable nearly all winter. Even higher postings (High and Extreme) are not reason enough to stay out of the back-country. I have said it for years, it is not whether I ride but rather where I ride that the bulletins and my daily experiences will point me. There are a lot of fun places where the avalanche danger is zero.
this same logic can be used when planning your trip to the hills if you are driving know the road conditions allow yourself the correct time and if driving far plan your stops and or have a back up driver

Arctic_Ragtop

Reaction score
How come I still go? Well for starters there is this inherient human trait that none of us truely believes it will ever actually happen to us!
Secondly, for myself it's what I love, it's the only place or thing that I do that I truely lose myself in, the mountains call to me so strongly that I can't imagine not going! I never feel as alive or at home as I do in the alpine! So when I hear that "call" I go!

I completely agree with this, mountain snowmobiling is an unexplainable experience that blows me away every time I go. My family, and non snowmobiling friends don't get it. They ask me why I do it. What's so cool about it. So many people die, you have a family, why do you still go, etc. I try to answer as best as I can that until you experience it, you won't understand, but it's unlike anything else and I still go because I love it. I also try and explain that 90% of the terrain is safe, but that falls on deaf ears most of the time. Mountain snowmobiling is one of the only things that I truly do just for myself. Like most people I've got a (young) family and almost all of my time, energy, money and focus goes to them and I wouldn't want it any other way, but that one week every year that I 'go on my mountain skidooing trip with the boys' is the best me-time I could ever ask for.

I am very saddened by the McBride Avy, as well as all of the other events that have taken fellow sledders from us. I wish these tragedies didn't have to happen. If there is any good that can come out of this, for their family and friends, and it's hard to think about, and it might be too soon, but at least it happened while they were doing something they truly loved. I know I would want my family to know that if it ever happens to me.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed! This is extremely important. The tenth commandment from the Mountain Sledding list "If you see someone doing something unsafe, SPEAK UP"

We did this yesterday and I am certain we prevented a large incident and the riders were very appreciative of the gesture and quick lesson. Believe it or not, there are people out there still who just don't know......

People not knowing before they go out is definitely the issue. How is this possible with all the media and publications talking snow safety???
It seems people cannot even figure out how get to the parkng lots without being told.

Its not my responsibility to look after them. Maybe the dealers should step up an ensure the purchaser has the proper training before selling them a machine that could kill them.....

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Intervention, intervention, intervention!
I try to pound this into everyone's head at work. If you do not intervene on an unsafe act you are worse the the one you are watching as you know better and sit with hands in pockets shrugging shoulders.
My brother and I were in Salmon watching 7 guys tear up a hill 4 at a time. We went over to them and explained that if the hill slid and burried them at least two would die as the remaining three would ot be able to get the rest out.
All young guys with beacons and probes but never had practiced let alone take some training. Through the conversation and sharing some hot pot food found out one guy was married to one of my high school buddies dughter.

To me if you do nothing when you have the ability to expand the kowledge of others on the hill......you are a big part of the problem.
Not taking a shot at anyone but......ya we all ARE the mountain police.
And that is a part of the attitude we need to develope and put in practice!

Do you pull someone over on the road when you see them texting and driving????
Thinking like this is why knives have to be labelled sharp use caution.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sure don't pull them over but when I get a chance to give the horn a big honk when their head is down as a reminder and maybe a friendly jesture.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

There r police on the road.....but I do blow the horn a lot and release the middle finger a LOT.
Not acting is why there is n improvement.

And yes there are times when common sense needs o be taught.

To each their own on weather they respond or not......I do.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
People not knowing before they go out is definitely the issue. How is this possible with all the media and publications talking snow safety???
It seems people cannot even figure out how get to the parkng lots without being told.

Its not my responsibility to look after them. Maybe the dealers should step up an ensure the purchaser has the proper training before selling them a machine that could kill them.....

You just don't get it.....and your attitude does not reflect well on the sledding industry as a whole......You need to look beyond your little world......

The media loves to pick apart what a bunch of uneducated, risk takers we are. No one is suggesting to put yourself in danger...but every time there is an incident, we end up making excuses (in the eyes of the public) that we are a responsible bunch, we don't take risks, we ride safe, and we are stewards of the land, yada yada yada..... The only way this public image of us will change is if we change from within.

I assume you have been sledding for years and have extreme knowledge and experience. Think back to when you started out...I am sure you did some stupid stuff not knowing any better......fast forward to today....chances are that those guys you see putting themselves in danger would gladly take your advice. Wouldn't it be better if you gave someone some good advice and maybe saved them from trauma? Think about it....a little good advice from you, you save the day by showing a fellow sledder a safer technique....no one gets hurt....no one gets killed.....no negative media coverage....all is good.

There are many agencies out there...government, skiers, snowboarders, non-motorized groups who take advantage of the negative stories that come out to help their cause......If we don't watch out for each other, who does?

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are mountains all around me. They dominate the sky.... I peer upwards in search of some guidance, a message. These mountains make me feel so alive. And they do it to everyone who lives amidst their timeless mass. Those who visit take the power from the mountains with them and draw from it. It is a ceaseless, low frequency hum which resonates deep within.

I am asleep, dreaming perhaps. How can it be these massive towers of rock, trees and ice are so asthetically pleasing and at the same time effect my life and the mountain folk I love in such a powerful way.

These mountains give us life, but it is that they can take away, with no reason, little warning and very quickly. This is done honestly and without deceit.

Living amonst the the mountains brings with it a certain responsibility----not exclusive to this mountain town. We accept the life these mountains give us, we cannot forget the lives they have taken away. We must respect them....lives and mountains. We must build myths regarding their creation and learn lessons. We need not mythologize those who lost what they came to the mountains to find....life

Last edited:

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is done or not but is it possible for someone or a group to do a case study of this incident so the rest of us can read and understand what went wrong. Almost like an incident report with information like snow pack, weather, terrain riders, obstacles etc. They do it with any kind of incident with OHS and you learn from it. Just an idea.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is done or not but is it possible for someone or a group to do a case study of this incident so the rest of us can read and understand what went wrong. Almost like an incident report with information like snow pack, weather, terrain riders, obstacles etc. They do it with any kind of incident with OHS and you learn from it. Just an idea.

might get done after the coroners report is done and released.

kfrey

Reaction score
Perhaps a better thread title might be, "Why do we keep going?" The simple answer might be that all of us have a strong connection to the earth. We enjoy seeing mother nature at it's best, and worst.(under most conditions, but wish all travellers' "safe passage".)
My background is first as a paddler then in the last ten years as a sledder.So basically I'm outside both summer and winter. My whitewater paddler son, recently pointed out to me some similarities."First, you need to examine the conditions and ask the questions about getting from point A to point B:"

1. Is it safe under today's conditions?
There are a lot of subquestions to answer: weather?/ avy?/ water levels? /terrain?/ Where are we going?/ line.....?

2. Do you have the skills to travel here?
subquestions: do I have the skills? my group? the weakest in my group?

3. Is there another way to get around here safely?
Are we safe now? Should we stay here? Can we move safely?

During our mountain travels there are many challenges to overcome. We enjoy this challenge and love showing others how great the outdoors can be.

It is tremendously rewarding to build our own skillset, watch our partners improve their skills, and travel to new areas. We love travelling on the earth and our connection. We wish everyone would share our passion!

everest8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its not just the mountains. In Ontario we have speed freaks that will pass you on a corner, stop just over a hill on the trail and not pull over,pass you on a hill,turn around on a curve,take the inside of a curve and the list goes on. I have rescued many sledders ill prepared with nothing but thier sled. not even a bottle of water or duct tape. Thinking they can go 100 miles with a track that has broken rods and no lugs left,rear axle broken, broken idler wheels,no extra fuel, food,sanity etc. All at - 30,duh ! I have been out west 3 times with my bro and we played safe and this is respect and logic thinking to ride another day. Peace be with the Families. Don

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You just don't get it.....and your attitude does not reflect well on the sledding industry as a whole......You need to look beyond your little world......

The media loves to pick apart what a bunch of uneducated, risk takers we are. No one is suggesting to put yourself in danger...but every time there is an incident, we end up making excuses (in the eyes of the public) that we are a responsible bunch, we don't take risks, we ride safe, and we are stewards of the land, yada yada yada..... The only way this public image of us will change is if we change from within.

I assume you have been sledding for years and have extreme knowledge and experience. Think back to when you started out...I am sure you did some stupid stuff not knowing any better......fast forward to today....chances are that those guys you see putting themselves in danger would gladly take your advice. Wouldn't it be better if you gave someone some good advice and maybe saved them from trauma? Think about it....a little good advice from you, you save the day by showing a fellow sledder a safer technique....no one gets hurt....no one gets killed.....no negative media coverage....all is good.

There are many agencies out there...government, skiers, snowboarders, non-motorized groups who take advantage of the negative stories that come out to help their cause......If we don't watch out for each other, who does?

Our club has maps in the sled cabin and at the parking lot which identify all the danger zones in pretty colors so a 10 year old could figure it out.
But some riders still cannot do this or they dont care.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our club has maps in the sled cabin and at the parking lot which identify all the danger zones in pretty colors so a 10 year old could figure it out.
But some riders still cannot do this or they dont care.
We also have that in the cabins in sicamous, with a overlay on the area map to what terrain

But no one looks at them lol so....

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last week we were in Pemberton areas. Got out way back, one day met Geoff Kyle and other day Chris Brown. Both were very helpful in directing us away from bad areas. Much appreciated guys and we had a blast

Top Bottom