How are your Black Tunnels holding Up

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in the dealership last night thinking about Snowchecking a 2012. I was in the back looking at a 2011 X that was being worked on and the running boards looked like $hi!t. All the paint was coming off the little grip nubs. This got me thinking that maybe I was better off with an SP (Everest) as you can't get an X in without a painted tunnel.

How are everyone else's tunnels holding up? I'd be particularly interested in seeing some pics of a few of the 2009 50th Anniversary Edition sleds to see how they're holding up to 2 years of abuse.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that black is terrible. its epoxy paint. much better to coat your own tunnel in a durable coating.

we have some black tunnel sleds in our group..

after about 500km ALL the paint is gone on the foot board nubs. everything else is holding up very well but get used to your footboard nubs not having any paint on them very soon.

if i ever get a new one it wont be the black tunnel sled. will be another everest.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that black is terrible. its epoxy paint. much better to coat your own tunnel in a durable coating.

we have some black tunnel sleds in our group..

after about 500km ALL the paint is gone on the foot board nubs. everything else is holding up very well but get used to your footboard nubs not having any paint on them very soon.

if i ever get a new one it wont be the black tunnel sled. will be another everest.

Yeah my one thought was to go with the Everest but I'm trying to figure out if the everest is available with the 2.5" track next year.

My other thought was to get a set of better boards powder coated and installed right off the hop. I'm thinking that would cover most of the wear points and the powder coating should be able to stand the test of time.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good call. that would work.

the everest for 2012 is only available in 154..not sure what your running now?

the sp is availavle in 163 but i cantr rememmber what tunnel is on it

skidoogirl

Reaction score
I bought a 50th sled this year, has about 900 miles on it now. It's holding up pretty well. Tunnel is pretty good, running boards are just worn off on the ridges and sharp spots. I bent the running boards somehow?? and a couple flakes chipped off right at the bend. That seems to do way more damage to the paint than just wear.. It looks a lot better than our aluminum tunnel on the 06 with about the same miles. I'm not too picky about it though, if it chips.. :shrug: I'm sure the paint will be minor compared to other damage I'll do to in the future. :d

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good call. that would work.

the everest for 2012 is only available in 154..not sure what your running now?

the sp is availavle in 163 but i cantr rememmber what tunnel is on it

I'm running a 156 x 2.5".

I was thinking along the lines of an SP 163. Which if I understand the website correctly is available in a 2.5" track as long as the sled is an 800 (rather than a 600 which only gets you a 2.25":confused:).

I really like the idea of the black tunnel I just want to make sure it stands up over time.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1300kms and mine is fine except for the nubs are worn off the boards. I guess it's all perception of weather the paint holds up well or not. I'm happy with the way mine has held up but someone else may not be even though they look identicle.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1300kms and mine is fine except for the nubs are worn off the boards. I guess it's all perception of weather the paint holds up well or not. I'm happy with the way mine has held up but someone else may not be even though they look identicle.

put up some pics so we can see

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'm of the perception that if the little nubs are silver, they're not wearing well. I'm sure that Maxwell's () buddy's sled with the powdercoated everything is standing up better than the stock paint.

Last edited:

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I would like to see pics of the black tunnels that look like crap.... Here are pics of my 2010 and the tunnel is doing great...like new. And I have 3200 km's on this thing.
Do alot of people wear rock climbing boots when riding sleds? :p

Attachments

• DSCN1130.jpg
    DSCN1130.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 412
  • DSCN1131.jpg
    DSCN1131.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 401
  • DSCN1132.jpg
    DSCN1132.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 405
  • DSCN1134.jpg
    DSCN1134.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 405
  • DSCN1135.jpg
    DSCN1135.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:

Hitchguy

Reaction score
Duck most people don't have 200 coats of Wax on there boards like you. :d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d I will look at mine tomorrow but i think there are some tips that are worn off already :) and 1800 km :)

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have right around 1500 km on my sled, and the nubs are all worn off, but I figure if the paint is off the nubs, its being rode hard, and thats all I care! :d

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have right around 1500 km on my sled, and the nubs are all worn off, but I figure if the paint is off the nubs, its being rode hard, and thats all I care! :d

If you can see the black on your running boards then obviously your riding in all the wrong places, Mine are always white and Fluffy,if their not then im pissed!:eek:

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can see the black on your running boards then obviously your riding in all the wrong places, Mine are always white and Fluffy,if their not then im pissed!:eek:

That's true. But when its sitting in the garage its noticeable.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

shockman

Reaction score
I doubt powdercoat will stand up a whole lot longer on those sharp nubs?? however my bud has black versus my alu. tunnel and when snow is a little wet his boards build up way less than mine

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I doubt powdercoat will stand up a whole lot longer on those sharp nubs?? however my bud has black versus my alu. tunnel and when snow is a little wet his boards build up way less than mine

WAY better.

ill snap a photo of one of our coated tunnels with way more miles on it than the etec. it will be hard to find any spot that has worn off.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If you keep your tunnel polished it will collect less snow too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom