Houston we have a problem!

jasonrev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A buddy and I were riding the telkwa range outside Houston today and I can't help but wonder if the hike in trail fees a couple years back has really hurt the traffic in that area. Today I was up there and it was gorgeous weather and a little bit of fresh. In the past a day like today would have been very busy. I couldn't believe we were the only people up there. Today was my second ride up there this season and the first ride there was a big group of us from burns lake and just two locals from Houston. I can't help but wonder if the club went back to $10 dollar trail fees in opposed to $20 if they would see an increase of sledders in this area. From what I understand the clubs current fees seem to be inline with other sledding destinations, however the section of trail the club maintains is around 10 km and at times it's been pretty rough at times which for me personally pisses me off. If your going to a $20 trail fee you shouldn't have to beat the piss out of your sled down a rough trail. Don't get me wrong I loved having the mountain to myself today, but with this area being in danger of being shut down a number of years ago I think it would be smart to have a good number of people riding the area to keep it open.

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
but with this area being in danger of being shut down a number of years ago I think it would be smart to have a good number of people riding the area to keep it open.

You would think so, but high traffic actually just gives the greens one more excuse to close it in my experience.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A buddy and I were riding the telkwa range outside Houston today and I can't help but wonder if the hike in trail fees a couple years back has really hurt the traffic in that area. Today I was up there and it was gorgeous weather and a little bit of fresh. In the past a day like today would have been very busy. I couldn't believe we were the only people up there. Today was my second ride up there this season and the first ride there was a big group of us from burns lake and just two locals from Houston. I can't help but wonder if the club went back to $10 dollar trail fees in opposed to $20 if they would see an increase of sledders in this area. From what I understand the clubs current fees seem to be inline with other sledding destinations, however the section of trail the club maintains is around 10 km and at times it's been pretty rough at times which for me personally pisses me off. If your going to a $20 trail fee you shouldn't have to beat the piss out of your sled down a rough trail. Don't get me wrong I loved having the mountain to myself today, but with this area being in danger of being shut down a number of years ago I think it would be smart to have a good number of people riding the area to keep it open.
Ya I Guess we're not use to paying,but it's coming.I think smithers has a few groomed trails now to.I work with people all day so when I go sledding I like to get away from most people. I don't care if my sleds faster or can climb higher or if my modded out rap looks cool.Oh crap breathalizer is broken on computer must go ,but ya We don't see or want to see the traffic that revy ,valemont and mcbride see .Telkwa range is and will always be my last choice Ryans ridge,Sabola and Stewart are my top choices .

Last edited:

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Smithers is charging now too and people are pissed. They had to put the cops at the bottom of the trail to reinforce the collection. Sad really... It's embarrassing to me that sledders who have the privilege of riding every weekend on a groomed trail have a problem with paying for a $200 membership or a trail pass fee. We ride Smithers maybe 4-5 times per year now that we live in PG and purchase a family membership to support the club. I don't understand why this is so hard for the locals, some of whom are my own relatives...

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think if they wouldn't have doubled the fees it wouldn't be such an issue. I know for myself the hike was a tough pill... so I either ride in ungroomed areas or pay the $20/ trail fee.... I can understand the anger towards the club!

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of people underestimate what it costs to run a grooming program. Even for only 10km of trail I would bet they lose money at $20/head. And that's just fuel and maintenance nevermind the purchase price or god forbid any compensation for the operator.

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're right.... the cost is high and people don't get that.... but the hike is just TOO MUCH!! If they would have done that over a couple of years it may not have been an issue.... and I know for myself I'm a bit ticked too... I put in 10 years of working on and building a new cabin.... then every fall spending hours in the shop working on the groomers... an my bf does most of the grooming on the Microwave side and then I have to pay $140 for the privilage of doing this???? I don't think so!!! Maybe what we need is a different system for the "active" members. I also think they lost a lot of members when they hiked up the cost, so I think in the end it was a really bad idea.... half the members and the rest of the sledding community pissed off at them!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
You're right.... the cost is high and people don't get that.... but the hike is just TOO MUCH!! If they would have done that over a couple of years it may not have been an issue.... and I know for myself I'm a bit ticked too... I put in 10 years of working on and building a new cabin.... then every fall spending hours in the shop working on the groomers... an my bf does most of the grooming on the Microwave side and then I have to pay $140 for the privilage of doing this???? I don't think so!!! Maybe what we need is a different system for the "active" members. I also think they lost a lot of members when they hiked up the cost, so I think in the end it was a really bad idea.... half the members and the rest of the sledding community pissed off at them!

I agree, the ASA would also bennefit from such a system. In my opinion a lot more people would become involved in a club if there was some form of monetary bennefit.

My wife and I (and many others I know) contribute countless hours of volunteer time and like everyone else pay our $140/yr to the ASA. Even if people did not get more involved the arguement over cost would be moot because the counter would be "then get involved and pay your way with sweat equity"

But what do I know, I'm just an azzhole with a keyboard....

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Really!!!!!!! WE all ride 10 to 15 thousand dollar sleds and you guys bitch about 20 bucks. Give your head a shake. Hand them a 20 and say thank you for grooming the trail!!!!!!!

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We ride there maybe 4-5 days per year, (in fact only one day last year) and have yet to make it up there this year and still pay the membership fee and donate fuel to your groomer. I think it's all a matter of entitlement and gratitude. I am thankful for the groomer, the hardworking volunteers, smooth trails, discounts on heli-lifts out and people fighting to keep our riding areas open...

I have relatives who ride nearly every weekend and grew up doing so who are incensed at the fees. They think they are entitled to ride for free. Even my uncle won't pay and his own son in law is in the board?? It's craziness.

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really!!!!!!! WE all ride 10 to 15 thousand dollar sleds and you guys bitch about 20 bucks. Give your head a shake. Hand them a 20 and say thank you for grooming the trail!!!!!!!
You're right.... I have no issues paying the $20 when I ride a groomed trail... but then I also have the option to ride in more remote areas....

jasonrev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of people underestimate what it costs to run a grooming program. Even for only 10km of trail I would bet they lose money at $20/head. And that's just fuel and maintenance nevermind the purchase price or god forbid any compensation for the operator.
I hear ya but the lack of riders going to that area isn't helping fund there groomer program. A bluebird day and they only collected two trail fees all day. Before the hike in fees a day like that the parking lot would have been full. Keep in mind this trail isn't getting groomed every day like major clubs in bc. It gets groomed usually once a week.

jasonrev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're right.... I have no issues paying the $20 when I ride a groomed trail... but then I also have the option to ride in more remote areas....
Beauty thing about living in this area there are so many places to go. My favorite places rarely see a groomer and if they do its my old man towing one behind his bearcat. I don't mind a choppy trial it scares the Albertans away :p.

MoriceMtnMadman

Reaction score
Some of us ride $1000 sleds and $20 is a lot to add to the cost of fuel, oil, belts etc. I choose not to ride there simply because the trail up is way to bumpy, groomed or not.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trail fees wouldn't be such a issue if the trails were groomed regular and the cabins were properly maintained. I have seen the trail fees double over a two year period and the trails getting groomed less and less. I have also seen maintence in the cabins diminish drastically. Have no problem paying the fee and getting something in return. I had been a member for years, same with my dad and many other family members and most are choosing not to anymore just because of this reason. Kinda funny that how the whole purpose of the volunteer system totally out worked the pay system.

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're so right SWAT!! Before the memberships doubled and the trail fees doubled we had better trails and the cabins were better maintained!! I think the hike in fees really *issed of a lot of people. I won't renew my membership either until things change... make it more family friendly, not a money grab!

Top Bottom