Hotel vs Holiday trailer

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me and my family go out to the west coast every year for 2 weeks holidays and hotel always .Were debating this year taking are fifthwheel out to stay in rather than hoteling it. But when i way the cost differences out it just doesn't seem worth dragging it out there. What i'm just looking for is if anyone has done both and how they felt about trailering out there vs hoteling it. We have nice site booked at fort langley bc with all possible hook ups.
Thanks

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Me and my family go out to the west coast every year for 2 weeks holidays and hotel always .Were debating this year taking are fifthwheel out to stay in rather than hoteling it. But when i way the cost differences out it just doesn't seem worth dragging it out there. What i'm just looking for is if anyone has done both and how they felt about trailering out there vs hoteling it. We have nice site booked at fort langley bc with all possible hook ups.
Thanks

The campground at Fort Langley is great. It is central to many tourist attractions and not that far from Vancouver. My wife and I are campers; true tenters and have used that campground and enjoyed it. Better than the Garabaldi one in Burnaby.

The cost factor with the 5th wheel vs hotels would be interesting. The biggest factor that we consider is eating. We take the time to prepare meals and the fresh seafood with happy hour is a treat. Fresh bar-b-qued salmon and halibut, fresh oysters, scallops. Fort Langley is a great little after supper place for relaxing and exploring.

Hope this helps but to each their own.........whatever you doo, enjoy!

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i personally enjoy the camping aspect of holidays. hotels are for fly in vacations imop.

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cost wise, camping you will use more fuel, but spend less on food and accommodations. You have your own bed and personal space, which means a lot. We spend about 60-70 nights per year in our 5th wheel, and about 5 nights in b&bs. We are taking our 5th wheel out to Vancouver Island this year. The ferry is going to be a big expense, nearly 300 bucks each way.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have done both, and honestly the trailer trip was slightly more expensive only because of the fuel costs. I got a smokin deal on a hotel so that might be why. Hoteling it I was able to drive out in 12 hours, trailering had to make it a 2 day. I think I will trailer it again when I go this September, just because I prefer to camp it!!:)

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I would say with it being a family trip I'd RV it, that way you can stop along the way as you need, and just stay, no need to worry about lugging everything into and out of hotels as its all in the RV already. As others have stated, its all your own personal space as well your not worrying about housekeeping stealing your stuff or anything like that. Sure the fuel expense might be a bit more, but to me being able to take your time and stop and see things, and say "you know this looks like a good place to stop for the night" would be worth while

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^yep, what Tyler said. The convenience of having the trailer with you is nice. Clothes hanging in the closet versus crumpled up in a duffel bag, eating relatively close to healthy versus McDogsh!t. The costs are maybe a little higher, but more than worth it.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Try the hotel, keep them travel trailers from clogging up the highways.

that's a good idea......it will also cut down on green house gases and your environmental foot print will be smaller....

Those damn greenies....no fun at all being green!!

Unless you are "Sulley and the Force" or RoughRider fans!

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
travel tariler way better, unless redicoulus downpouring or something could get a little boring, but at least if nice you get fires at night, stay up when kids are already asleep, cheaper to eat, cheaper each night accomodations.
yes you have to pay for the trailer, so i think over the course of time it is all pretty eqaul costs, but staying in the trailer is much nicer,
oh yeah and try to find a hotel at the snow and mud jamboree at out west.
just sayin.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that's a good idea......it will also cut down on green house gases and your environmental foot print will be smaller....

Nothing about being green, just trying to keep traffic moving at the posted speed limit, rather than 10-20KPH lower and even lower in the corners.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing about being green, just trying to keep traffic moving at the posted speed limit, rather than 10-20KPH lower and even lower in the corners.

It's the same with 1/2 tons hauling sleds, and semis going through the mountains. It's ok. Slow down and smell the roses. Passing lanes are everywhere out there.

sledhead_2002

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.imperialseed.com
Last year wifey and I was on a "working trip" thru AB and SK, 18 days in the 5th wheel camper, put 7800 kms on too. tracked All expenses added up, we saved just over 1600.00 vs. the hotel. I have done this trip many years with the truck and hotel, and will not do it anymore. I now drag the 5th wheel all over SK and AB for work, and save the cashola. takes a bit more time to get to where you are going, but $$$ in the pocket

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I know, save the enviorment with these new truck enviro control. Got love the economy when it regens.

Attachments

• DERYLS PICS 010.jpg
    DERYLS PICS 010.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 166

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know, save the enviorment with these new truck enviro control. Got love the economy when it regens.

get your tire fixed dang it. lol j/k
mine does the same thing ever since i installed the programer. t/p sensor keeps going off.

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never put the sensors in the mags. Just use to the light now. to busy focusing on the mileage.LOL

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we used Motorhomes for 20 yrs, then when gas hit $4.00 gallon and we got 15 mpg ,,we started using the car ( 50mpg) and motels..our ladys work all year round looking after us,,2 weeks in Choke and Pukes and Motels pretty cheap to give them a holiday..

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we used Motorhomes for 20 yrs, then when gas hit $4.00 gallon and we got 15 mpg ,,we started using the car ( 50mpg) and motels..our ladys work all year round looking after us,,2 weeks in Choke and Pukes and Motels pretty cheap to give them a holiday..

That is my worry,when where caming my wife is the same busy body as she is at home. So i decide yesturday and booked my hotels to give her a brake from it all. When i told her that were hoteling it she got alot happer.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's the same with 1/2 tons hauling sleds, and semis going through the mountains. It's ok. Slow down and smell the roses. Passing lanes are everywhere out there.

is that what bc drivers call a solid yeller line, passing lane, friggin deathwish. slow down your beer will still be cold when ya gets there

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Slow driving

145 (1) A person must not drive a motor vehicle at so slow a speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

(2) If the driver of a motor vehicle is driving at so slow a speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, a peace officer may require the driver to increase his or her speed, or to remove the motor vehicle from the roadway to the nearest suitable place and to refrain from causing or allowing the motor vehicle to move from that place until directed to do so by a peace officer.

If you can't safely operate your travel trailer/truck combo at highway speeds, keep it at home.

One man's opinion.

Top Bottom