Horses of Mcbride.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well we watched the movie last night.....If we hadn’t read the book and met and talked to some of the people involved I would have liked it a lot better, have always been a sucker for a feel good animal story.....
Not sure why some movie makers feel that everyone in the movie has to have a sub plot.What was up with the Vegetarian plot, “if it makes love, we don’t eat it”, Sledders hooting and hollering, sure that can happen, but the only one hearingit is me in my own helmet. Oh and there snowmobiles not Ski Doo’s. The horse’s names they choose ....replacing Belle and Sundance with “Big and Little”, they should have spent a bit more creative time thinking about those names....was almost surprised they even used McBride, Prince George and Jasper.
Had a few pet peeves the use of eh....and the reference from Aidan Quinn re having trouble learning the Canadian accent, the wolf attack, and playing down the asshat that left them there in the first place.
Was cool seeing the Snow and Mud web site referenced, as well as Zac’s Tracks, seen as Randy and Lori were stunt doubles in the movie, well played Lori....
I understand the economics of filming where they did vs in McBride, the cost would have been a lot higher to film on location, but I would have enjoyed the movie a whole lot more, knowing that the community that pulled together to save those two horse’s got some pay back by being a part of the story, even if it wasn’tthe actual story.
My opinion.....as feel good as the movie was they could have done a whole lot better following the real story.....

Last edited:

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder what they were trying to portray with all the duct tape on that Polaris

And points a polaris and calls it a Skii Doo......

While were changing the subject, anyone ever riden one of those Alpina Sherp's???

Attachments

• Alpina.JPG
    Alpina.JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 248

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm a little late to reply to this but what's with depicting dirtbikers as a bunch of a$$holes who chase horses around?

Ya forgot that part, agian the true story would have been so much better.....should have even used a name close to assh$t lawyers name.....but they didnt want to offend a lawyer, but bikers are okay to offend.....same old same old.....

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya forgot that part, agian the true story would have been so much better.....should have even used a name close to assh$t lawyers name.....but they didnt want to offend a lawyer, but bikers are okay to offend.....same old same old.....

Lets see how many names of the volunteers that actually participated in the rescue. I know that our Group from Bonnyville put in an honest hour pf digging. I'll start the list

feel free to add names of other volunteers that you know of.

Ron Charawich Pipes on this site
Brian Zachurak Bzak on this site
Charles Michaude
Howard Polinsky

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it true? .........did a couple of dirt bilkers chase those horses up into the Alpine as they showed in the movie???????

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it true? .........did a couple of dirt bilkers chase those horses up into the Alpine as they showed in the movie???????

No there were no dirt bikers involved in the real story, only in the movie......

The real story is they were left behind by a lawyer that was riding with two pack horse's (the two left behind) he rode out and left them, made feble attemps long before the snow hit, then just gave up, didnt ask for help, just went home...

Snowmobilers started seeing them and then some locals went and checked things out, explored other avenues and then dug them out and walked them down the mounatin....and yes it was right before Christmas and during a real cold snap....check out the book,

The Rescue of Belle and Sundance

A Miracle on Mount Renshaw

Last edited:

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I watched it when it first came out, and spoke to a few of the members here about it all. It's on at 8 for me

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
It's on again at 8 so set the pvr guess I'll have to check it out since I missed it last year. I had some input on S&m being put into this movie and had to sign the rights away to a film company called Wizbang films 2 years ago.

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
watched it for about the 4th time tonite..... still kills me the one scene near the end where the rest of the sledders are heading up to help shovel in the morning..... they're all yelling and whooping it up while driving along quite normally..... sound dubbing on that scene was horrible. makes sledders all look like a bunch of "yahoos".... the film still irks me, but I guess they had to modify what really happened to make "a story" out of it :(

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I caught the last half of it after seeing Trashy post it was on when scrolling through Max Thread. Never heard the story before but have a couple questions regarding the actual true story. Did they actually dig a 3km 6ft deep trench for the horses to walk out on? Was the wolf attack real or just movie enhancement? Thanks!

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I caught the last half of it after seeing Trashy post it was on when scrolling through Max Thread. Never heard the story before but have a couple questions regarding the actual true story. Did they actually dig a 3km 6ft deep trench for the horses to walk out on? Was the wolf attack real or just movie enhancement? Thanks!

I don't think it was quite 3 Km but it was 5-6 feet deep for the most part. I would post some pics of the portion we dug but the site is broken and won't let me post up pics

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
It was about a mile.... Still got the shovel. There is almost nothing about the movie that was accurate. It was 95% sled folk who helped those horses. And p.s it's not always snowing in mcbride and we always wore helmets

Sent from my iPhone using

Last edited:
Top Bottom