Honda Foreman 4x4 Or Polaris 550 4x4

pedersdj

Reaction score
Do a lot of trail riding, hillclimbs, mudding, and am buying a new machine. Im torn between Polaris and Honda. Polaris makes a tall machine with lots of power and little things go out i hear. Honda i have heard is durable and really low, which makes it stable. Polaris has an Auto trans, versus hondas elec clutch. and hondas still running a single axle in the rear. the only experiences ive had with hondas is pulling them out. which would be the best bang for my buck?

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Historically, Honda's have been about the most reliable machine you can get. They are wicked work horses largely becuase they are direct drive. However for recreation, you'll find that they are lacking in power even given their low weight. And, even worse than the low ground clearance is the fact that they don't have independent rear suspension wich makes for a far less comfy ride and poor perfomance in the mud when it's rutted out. The Rincon does have independant rear suspension, but at that price, I'd go searching for a big boar that's a little more fun to ride.

Ultimately, I think you'll have a lot more fun on the polaris. I have no experience on the 550, but the 850's are very stable despite the extra groud clearance - I imagine the 550 is about the same. ...maybe someone can confirm. I've found the 850's to be a really nice ride (with power steering) and a good value, but they aren't built that well in my opinion. However, if you don't get a lemon and keep up on your maintenance, you'd likely be another very happy Polaris customer.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Polaris. I've got a Forman 500 and a Polaris 500.

Are both machines your looking at liquid cooled? Because fan cooled atv are zero fun. Very gutless. The reason I ask is because my Polaris 509 is liquid and te Honda 500 is air cooled

pedersdj

Reaction score
Polaris. I've got a Forman 500 and a Polaris 500.

Are both machines your looking at liquid cooled? Because fan cooled atv are zero fun. Very gutless. The reason I ask is because my Polaris 509 is liquid and te Honda 500 is air cooled
both liquid

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you mentioned mudding...........that narrows it down to just one of your choices then. As the Honda is ,short on power,suspension,ground clearence,true 4 wheel drive,and is 15 year old + design.............
The Popo 550 is a great bike and built really solid. It and the 850 are mostly identical chassis wise. The 550 is a great relable bike...
The honda is..............a honda.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not a huge Polaris fan by any means but I would take the Polaris over the Honda any day for trail ridding and mudding
a woman in our group has one and it has decent power and pretty decent suspension over any Honda I have ever seen
Honda are super reliable though

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
If you were to go Honda, go with a Fourtrax over the Foreman. My '02 350 goes everywhere my grizzly 700 does. Just not as fast with a lot less thrill factor. Only real problems with Hondas are their absolutely useless drum brakes and the front wheel bearings suck as well. The 350 was replaced with the 420. It comes in many configurations. Manual foot shift or electronic thumb shift. Straight or independent rear suspension. Power steering I think is available. Liquid cooled and now has front disc brakes.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Poo over Honda I think for a few reasons.. Power being one, and the ride of the Poo is much smoother. I also do not like the honda footwells, the polaris running boards are smooth the honda's are recessed. I do not like the honda reverse, a little push button, hold in the brake put in gear etc.. on most of the models. So much easier to just shift it. The 420s with Power steering are a fun little beast.
550s and 850 sportsmen are nice, lots of features especially with the LE models.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious why you have it down to those choices? In that size there are lots to choose from... im thinking one that has efi, power steering and diff loc... just saying

pedersdj

Reaction score
Just curious why you have it down to those choices? In that size there are lots to choose from... im thinking one that has efi, power steering and diff loc... just saying
I have a lot of buddy's with all sorts of machines and Honda and Polaris are the ones that show the best preformance, in my opinionopinion

Top Bottom