Homemade camping toilet that is appeals to children and the better half - ideas?

Landrew

Reaction score
We dont have a trailer with a toilet and sometimes like to go to crown land

What have you done to make an acceptable toilet out in the woods that is comfy, safe and sanitary and one that ladies and children will use?

As a guy, squatting is ok with me but younger kids can literally "mess" it up!

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rig a toilet seat to a 5gal bucket with the bottom cut out. Portable outhouse. Best to have water nearby to clean out the bucket sometimes :(

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just thought of something...put the pail in the stream but remember..feet go up stream..heck you could doo some fishing too...kinda kill two birds with 1 stone,,,mmmmm im always thinking of way to more utilize my time hahaha:beer:

DEVER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just thought of something...put the pail in the stream but remember..feet go up stream..heck you could doo some fishing too...kinda kill two birds with 1 stone,,,mmmmm im always thinking of way to more utilize my time hahaha:beer:
watch out, you may catch a "brown trout" from someone up stream with the same idea :eek:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
We just duck tape a toilet seat to a couple of logs and there ya go! Kids need privacy so you usually have to clear out someting in the middle of some bush but whatever you do .... don't joke about BEARS lol.
Unless it's of course the bear and the rabbit in the woods and the bear says to the rabbit "say does poop stick to your fur?" and the rabbit says "no" so the bear wipes himself with the rabbit! :eek: ha ha ha
ya my kids didn't laugh either! :(

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've done the toilet seat bolted to a milk crate. Just plop that over a hole and good to go. I had a tarp tied up to some trees for privacy.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I've seen toilet seats that slide into the reciever hitch of your truck...with a shower curtain rod thingy which closes it in..

The Ultimate Portable toilet for the outdoorsman.

or

reciever toilet.jpg

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a wife .....(yes had being the optimal word ) that won’t use outhouses so before we bought a trailer with a washroom, went and bought a self contained port a potty you can get them from crappy Tire or any RV shop. She would use it in the vestabule of the tent. They flush and everything……geez guess who had to clean that out….that night mare is over….she’s now the ex-wife ….the port a potty was easy to deal with.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Okay Bogger, that's just gross! We had a folding chair and cut a circle out of the seat, then you can set it up over the hole you dig in the bush, very compact and well balanced for the kids.

Don't shoot the messenger..... He asked for ideas, I provided....I didn't say it was a good idea, just an option....:d:beer:

Last edited:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bass pro shop picked up a seat that clips on a 5 gallon bucket.Place a bag in the bucket and all contained. Have it for the kids and their boyfriends. They clean it.

I use the trailer..:d

DEVER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have spent a number of hours exploring and investigating ideas and options. These are the stinkers of the bunch.

portable-outhouse.jpg

650XT

Reaction score
Someone told me Costco has one with a privacy tent. I haven't been there lately but maybe someone else has seen it??

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We took 2 pieces of plywood and hinged them. One is the front of the loo to prevent the shoes from getting wet and support the top. This one sits on the ground and was cut the right height to match the height of a toilet. The second piece sits horizontal. We cut an oval hole in it and mounted an old toilet seat to it. We screw a 2"*4" between two trees at the appropriate height. Dig a hole and then mount our inverted "L" with the top resting on top of the 2"*4". A tarp can be used for privacy. Once done using, unscrew the 2"*4" from the trees, fold up the loo and fill in the hole.

Top Bottom