Home Made Camper

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lem will likely look into it, he is doing the building and looking at good inexpensive options

Last edited:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you do have your mind set on a wood based product LP smart board is a much better product than plywood for exterior use ...
30 $ish a sheet ...
It is good stuff ...

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no idea, but maybe hardy board/plank. see it on a few houses. no idea if you can get it mounted and water tight, maybe wrap in tyvek first.

stay away from plastic product it expands 10 times as much as steel, and aluminum 4-5 times steel. so every meter plastic will expand 3-5mm for every 10 degree C temp changes of 40 deg C will expand almost an inch. buckle city. miracle product right!

steel expands 0.013 alumimum 0.022 per 10 deg C change plastic is all over but averages somewhere in vicinity of 0.13

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of options are looking good, puck board, rubber stamp, ply wood, galvanized, birch bark, 1964 Chevy 1/2 ton doors, Massy Ferguson Combine side pannels, Skidoo XP 850 side covers,,, Holsteen Kow hide was mentioned, Ka-Doe-Bee mud, large Edmonton oilers flag in NDP orange, LOL.

Or should I consider Bamboo or flattened out road signs that are about too get knocked down by some crazy guy driving around with a home made camper. Ha.

Was even thinking of good old sod grass like the old houses were made of.

Thx all as the ideas are endless, and some darn good ideas shared by Ye All.

Chin straps tight too everyone for filling in some blanks.

This camper build is a bit of every one here, so I'll make sure it comes out like a champ. Ha.

Lem with the cut 2 X's as its still too short.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I looked up LP siding last night, a few videos show its strength.

Do the make it in a planning, or does it only come in strips like sides of a house our garden shed.

Ive never worked with the stuff, but it looks tuff as nails.

Good for Hail and Grizzly Bear claws.

Lem

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Do the make it in a planning, or does it only come in strips like sides of a house our garden shed.

Lem

What about x wives??

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Lem

It comes in a flat 4/8 sheet as well , no grooves .. it's good stuff. Already primed , put on some good paint two coats and it will last a long time .

Prime & seal any edge cuts .
We use it for all out trim boards on our builds , it has stood up well.
Here it is as out side door trim ( dark grey )
And don't confuse it with Hardie board lmao...
Not really meant for lightweight camper siding .... seeing as it's made out of cement ....!

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sweet, who handles this stuff in Edmonton our Red Deer.

4x8 sheets would be easy to work with too.

Lem

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will do, the durability of this stuff looks good, I'll deffinatly give it the view.

Yes, dur-a-deck cover might not be flex camper friendly as the fellow at wood supply shop mentioned.

The constant flexing and twisting "Could" cause the dura too crank and eventually brake free from ply-wood... Monster between the ply-wood and dura might be a issue later in time.

Good too get the heads up as it will save me time and funds in the long hual.

The camper won't be the sharpest pencil in the pack, nor will it be the dullest either.

Just enough for Lem, Kow, and Donkey too stay warm and dry on those off days when they happen.

Thx bro as it gets me up too speed on the 101 wood stuff I missed out on in school.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No problem , you will be happy with it ...
I imagine you will mount it with self tap screws ?
I would consider strapping it with strips of plywood or good 1x4 and then attaching the smart board .
That will make your job much easier in the long run ...
Also with 1 " square tube , your screws are very close to the edge ( to close ) do if you strap it with 1 by 4 lots of room to staple it on ( easy ) and no worries of countersinking the screws too much .
Also this gives you room for a little more insulation ..
Just some ideas , that flowed through ....

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The welding part on the Grizzly Bear cage is completed.
Arrow dynamic front end for superior fuel mileage for the aperated 6 piston. Ha

Got rid of the boat anchor at the back as we beefed up the back end too support a 1200 lb Grizzly Bear at 2am in the morning. LOL... "NOT"

The little Onda won't even flex this cage when loading or off loading.

This camper will fit in most trucks, and I've racked up the cost too the $480 bucks.

Old dog can't wait too go camping as he said its good to go as panneling it is is over rated.
He likes sleeping under the stars and its not an issue sleeping in a rolled up position in a snow storm at -60c. LOL. (panneling will go.)

Big thank too Z Jumbo for getting-er sorted. Life is grand when we have good friends too share life with.

Work is on the go, so getting the next stage done will take a bit of work.

Don at sharing part of the dream that becomes reality.

Top Bottom