Home Insurance for hail & wind???

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good info they got use this year on that not next year they can go pound sand spend over 8gs a year without a claim for 5 years time for change, yes Whitecourt area got hit with wind so up guys that have claims lots of grant mony came thru for cleanup from government aid not insurance have to pay more attention when policy renewls come in.

Pecos

Reaction score
Same thing here. $1578 tacked on for wind/hail rider that you can't remove. It's ALL of the insurance companies, not just wawanesa. I priced 4 other carriers at renewal in August and wawanesa was the cheapest by $200. I can hardly wait 2 more years when they tack the cost of the flood onto our premiums.

Crooks, plain & simple.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crooks wasn't the word that crossed my mind when I opened the envelope, did start with a C though. I'd gladly pay half as much and make it a 5K deductible.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A little research reveals that the insurance companies made profits of over $100 Billion last year, and yet prices keep going up!! A quick link for those dissatisfied with rising insurance prices and declining Insurance company services... Tell your story and share the link in the hopes that a multitude of voices is loud enough to be heard:
Not sure where your information came from. See Canadian P&C industry more profitable in 2012 | Canadian Insurance Says that for every dollar they took in, they paid out about 95 cents so the margin is 5% on average. With a 10% margin they would have to write a trillion dollars of business here in Canada and that isn't likely. Shop around for your insurance guys and gals. I use Aviva and haven't seem any windstorm/hailstorm loading...yet.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we're insured through Intact, our house was damaged on Mother's Day when a "wind event" peeled half the shingles off the roof of our house. they sure drug their feet coughing up the dough, after coming up with several different reasons why they should not pay. I purchased the materials and had a contractor come and repair the damage on the following weekend, as their agent told me it was up to me to ensure no further damage occurred to my house while the shingles were gone. this seemed to cause trouble as they felt I should have waited until they paid me first, and use tarps to cover my roof for 2 months. in the end they paid less than half of the cost after our $1000 deductible. if I see an increase in my coverage for the amounts posted here I'm gonna flip the fawk out.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never heard anything good about Intact other than they'll gladly take your money but not cover you or try to weasel out of covering you. Lots of people in High River and Calgary got screwed over on the floods from them.

we're insured through Intact, our house was damaged on Mother's Day when a "wind event" peeled half the shingles off the roof of our house. they sure drug their feet coughing up the dough, after coming up with several different reasons why they should not pay. I purchased the materials and had a contractor come and repair the damage on the following weekend, as their agent told me it was up to me to ensure no further damage occurred to my house while the shingles were gone. this seemed to cause trouble as they felt I should have waited until they paid me first, and use tarps to cover my roof for 2 months. in the end they paid less than half of the cost after our $1000 deductible. if I see an increase in my coverage for the amounts posted here I'm gonna flip the fawk out.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never heard anything good about Intact other than they'll gladly take your money but not cover you or try to weasel out of covering you. Lots of people in High River and Calgary got screwed over on the floods from them.
they used the flooding events in southern Alberta as an excuse for their lack of attention to my claim.....that I had filed a month earlier. it was another month after that before they called to say my claim was approved and a cheque was coming. unreal

carguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's ALL of the insurance companies, not just wawanesa.

Crooks, plain & simple.

Agreed, it's all insurance companies. I first heard about it when my Dad got his renewal from Wawanesa, separate riders for wind/hail and sewer backup increase. $2500 deductible that one can buy down. I asked my insurance Co, Intact, who by the way has been great so far also said their premiums were increasing with new separate riders for wind/hail on renewal of policies.. All due to payouts over severe weather claims in Alberta the past few years. So I had my roof checked, wind & hail damage found from storm last summer and had the roof done under insurance for $500. I beat the insurance company to the cost increase by getting it done before renewal, which now is a $2500 deductible. I also used one of their "approved installers" which according to Intact gives me additional guarantees on workmanship and if damage were to occur.. I guess I'll see what that means in future. Either way got a new roof for $500, instead of $2500 deductible plus some upgrades to ensure I have better protection compared to old roof.

mick

Reaction score
All I can say is that ins is still cheap. Our taxes are more and we get less. As for all those that praise certain companies ..... check out which companies walked into High River and said fix it, not the ones that looked for the escape, same as the last 6 - 8 hail/wind storms. That will make your choice easy as there are only maybe 1/2 dozen companies that you should even consider regardless of price

mick

Reaction score
they used the flooding events in southern Alberta as an excuse for their lack of attention to my claim.....that I had filed a month earlier. it was another month after that before they called to say my claim was approved and a cheque was coming. unreal
So it took 2 months to deal with your claim during the biggest disaster to hit North America in years. What was the question again?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So it took 2 months to deal with your claim during the biggest disaster to hit North America in years. What was the question again?
filed my claim a month before the flooding. I pay, and I expect service. that's why I won't be insured thru them any longer. I give a fawk what disaster happens a month after....

Last edited:

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been working insurance claims for the last 2 years, and as of this year everyone I have done work for has said their premiums are going up to 2500 deductibles. The storms are getting more and more frequent, and more damaging .. Somebody is going to pay for it... And it certainly won't be the insurance company. I have suggested to all my clients recently that have been hit with hail to make their claim now rather then holding off till spring to get their houses repaired.
I have offered most of my clients a bit of a break on their deductible where depending on the size of job I will typically eat half of their deductible premium if they use my company for their repairs . So far , so good have gone 4 for 4 on the last claims, and the end product is a happy home owner.

Sent from my iPhone using

Top Bottom