History Rides

Hardway

Reaction score
Anybody know of trails that have some history to them like the old rail line at Nordegg. Like to do more riding into maybe old town sites or other rail lines.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We did Kettle Valley rail line years ago.
I think the fires burnt the train bridges and old shacks along the way now.
They planned on bike and walking trails,not sure if ever done.
Did it over a 4 year period a little each year.

sparky660

Reaction score
THe Ironhorse is a nice easy ride. The first half is the best as it follows the North Sask. River and is very scenic. From Elkpoint you can go to Cold Lake which is kind of ho-hum as you are following the highway most of the way but still better than staying at home

Landrew

Reaction score
Cadomin has a bit of history - old foundations, bridges, rail lines etc. but most of it was removed and some areas you cannot now access as the mine is in operation.

A 5 hour drive south to Coleman AB and you can ride up to a plane that crashed after WW2. They were heading home and hit the mountain. The plane and engine parts are quite intact for 60 years ago. Plus there is tons and tons of riding in that area like the Atlas staging area just up from Coleman.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Cadomin has a bit of history - old foundations, bridges, rail lines etc. but most of it was removed and some areas you cannot now access as the mine is in operation.

A 5 hour drive south to Coleman AB and you can ride up to a plane that crashed after WW2. They were heading home and hit the mountain. The plane and engine parts are quite intact for 60 years ago. Plus there is tons and tons of riding in that area like the Atlas staging area just up from Coleman.

now that i would like to see ,Can you give me some good directions,Thanks

kokanee 800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How far away is that Crash from the conveyor at the south end of the mine up their? Or am I in the wrong area code lol

:beer::beer:

Landrew

Reaction score
These guys have trail information down to a science:

gives some info on the trip from a hikers perspective

title page

If your willing to drive 5-6 hours you can go to Panorama which is just past Radium and go up to Paradise mine (8500ft up) and there is a lot of history there - the weather is better than AB and you can rest in hot springs later than night or go to the beach.

I posted about it here:

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f19/quadding-near-skookumchuck-15946.html

There are old cars, mine equipment, foundation, old cabins down the other side of the peak etc.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
These guys have trail information down to a science:

gives some info on the trip from a hikers perspective

title page

If your willing to drive 5-6 hours you can go to Panorama which is just past Radium and go up to Paradise mine (8500ft up) and there is a lot of history there - the weather is better than AB and you can rest in hot springs later than night or go to the beach.

I posted about it here:

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f19/quadding-near-skookumchuck-15946.html

There are old cars, mine equipment, foundation, old cabins down the other side of the peak etc.
I have sledded in this area a few years ago ,but never on quad,

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere about an old early 1900's pack trail from Robb to Nordegg, long before trunk road or any oilfield activity. Anyone know of/been on this trail?

Hardway

Reaction score
That could be the South Esk trail ,or there was an old Indian trade route that ran from Alaska down to the US, it runs down through hinton, kind of cool, but pretty well gone now.

Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Medler we were thinking of doing that ride 3rd week of August but most likely in early Sept.

kavik

Reaction score
Regarding the KVR, while I am not positive about the entire length of the road bed, it is my understanding that most if not all of it is closed to motorized vehicles. Like I said, I am not positive. If anyone is interested in finding out if ATVs and permitted on the KVR, I will be hiking the Myra canyon portion in two weeks and will find out for sure.

InnOnTheBorder

Lodge in Crowsnest
Reaction score
Website
www.innontheborder.com

Plane crash south of coleman, use York creek staging. Use the cnp quad squad map. If you join for a small fee you can download all the coordinates. Very much worth your while. Trails in the area are well marked, and are a good place for family. There is lots of sites to see down here.

Curtis

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Regarding the KVR, while I am not positive about the entire length of the road bed, it is my understanding that most if not all of it is closed to motorized vehicles. Like I said, I am not positive. If anyone is interested in finding out if ATVs and permitted on the KVR, I will be hiking the Myra canyon portion in two weeks and will find out for sure.

The KVR is not totaly closed to ATV/OHV'S.:nono: The Eastern part :confused:. All the bridges that were distroyed in the 2003 Fire's have been repaired. You can enter the west trail South of Merrett, BC, +- 20 kms North of the old toll booth, off the no 5, Coquihalla hwy at the Larson Hill pull off, along side of the Coldwater River. There is good camping at the river. At this point there is a bridge that crosses over the Coldwater River, or stay on the highway side and make you way South to Brookmere, Tulameen, (OTTER Lake), Coalmont, Princeton, and further East to Penticton area. From the Camping area, (Coldwater River), is some good riding, the Shovelnose Mtn and
Thynne Mtn, and the other side of the Hwy. It seems that there is a group of users that attach, stickers, posters, etc, that there is no ATV use of this trail, that it is the Trans/Canada Trail.:eek: :confused: Guess what, not true,:rolleyes: this is a multi use trail, use common sense, and know the regs for where you are riding.

Bruce.:ranger:

Top Bottom