Historic Avalanches around Fernie

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was shocked to see some of that yesterday. This is a great eye opener as its right in everyones face and hopefully it hits home.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
A huge thanks to the South Rockies Avalanche Team. The more awareness there is among riders, the better we should be prepared as a group. It is a very different year as this type of sliding is occurring in "riding season" and not later in the spring when a lot of riders have turned to golf and quading.

The Team has certainly made riders in the southern Rockies more informed and for that we are thankful.

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we rode fernie for three days last weekend, we were seeing a lot of movement, i would not trust much, but we road in the heavy trees up high , had some great snow, but be carefull, there is stuff moving all over, stuff you would never think would slide, and i was suprised at how far it is sliding, but considering the weight of the snow, in many places way farther than what i thought was a safe spot

Mark P

Reaction score
I would not have guessed that the slides would have taken the paths they did down to and on the road with out having seen the results myself on Sunday afternoon. it was impressive to see the results of that heavy wet snow coming down the mountain and a reminder that what we thought was safe may actually not be. If you were to get caught in that avalanche with all that debris and heavy wet snow you were probably not going home. Everyone needs to pay attention where your at on the hillside and to your surroundings so you make it back alive. Be safe out there.

Top Bottom