Highrise MX bars

poppajon

Reaction score
Has anyone installed a set of highrise bars on a MX bike? I'm looking at adding a set of Renthal RC high bend bars to my RMZ-450. They're quite a bit taller than stock and I'm not sure how the cables-wires etc will work.

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone installed a set of highrise bars on a MX bike? I'm looking at adding a set of Renthal RC high bend bars to my RMZ-450. They're quite a bit taller than stock and I'm not sure how the cables-wires etc will work.

if you can turn your bars (stock) side to side without your cables tighning up you should be good to go.

j_w10

Reaction score
There is a limit on how high you can go with the cables ive got a 06 crf 450r and i belive i got them from moose racing but there are bar risers that you can get, there like a longer version of the coversion clamps that go from 7/8 to 1 1/8 inch bars. you can get them in 3 different sizes 15mm 35mm and 50mm i think.

Anyways i put the 35mm ones on with a normal set of fat bars and i had to put the throttle tube on upside down so there was enough slack in the cables. that was like 2-3 inchs higher then stock. that would be about the max i would say with out having to make the cables longer (on this bike anyways). I would think if your just putting on the high bend bars youll be alright you might have to rerout some cables but youll be able to make it work.

And after you put them on just start the bike in neutral an turn your bars all the way one way then the other make sure the bike doesnt rev up on its own. if you dont have enough slack in the cable itll actually pull on it and rev the bike wich isnt pretty when your riding it:eek:. hope this helps.

j_w10

Reaction score
heres a couple of pics of what i did on mine

Attachments

• bike 036.jpg
    bike 036.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 51
  • bike 037.jpg
    bike 037.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 48
  • bike 038.jpg
    bike 038.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 54

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your just puttin rc high bars on you don't need to change cables. They aren't that high. As for putting on risers, that I don't understand how anyone can ride like that. I can't ride a bike with them. Tried someones once and you can't get get enough body pressure on the front wheel to keep it from washing out.They might be ok for riding down gravel roads, but definatly not motocross.

j_w10

Reaction score
hey suzuki ryder it comes down to rider preference. its all about how the bike is the most comfortable for you and the way you ride. it works just ffine on the track because im a taller guy and i must have a few pounds on you as well cause my front end dont wash out any worsse in the corners then with the stock bars. and yes there good for more then just riding down gravel roads. like i said above it comes down to your prefernce, how you like to ride and what your most comfortable with.

Andy the Digger

Reaction score
I am 6 foot 6.. Bikes aren't made for me!!!! I went with quad bars on my crf450 - works pretty good, with some minor cable re routing, but I still need more - be nice to stand up straight over the whoops and jumps.. It seems a 2001 stock cr250 has a higher stock bar then the 450 with the quad bars.. I am going to try to make a set of 3.5 inch risers work with the quad bars - which would be about 5.5 inches -tilting forward as well.. Looks like I will have to re route the throttle and clutch cable on top of the frame and have it come out by the gas tank breather... And find a way to make the brake hose work.. I will post pics if it works!

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am 6 foot 6.. Bikes aren't made for me!!!! I went with quad bars on my crf450 - works pretty good, with some minor cable re routing, but I still need more - be nice to stand up straight over the whoops and jumps.. It seems a 2001 stock cr250 has a higher stock bar then the 450 with the quad bars.. I am going to try to make a set of 3.5 inch risers work with the quad bars - which would be about 5.5 inches -tilting forward as well.. Looks like I will have to re route the throttle and clutch cable on top of the frame and have it come out by the gas tank breather... And find a way to make the brake hose work.. I will post pics if it works!

you could probly get a high rise snowmobile brake cable....
here is a pic on my ktm high bends.....

j_w10

Reaction score
Brake hoses are not the problem you can get any length hose made to meet your needs. its the throtle cable that is the trouble. ive not seen or heard of being able to lengthen them to get that much of a rise. although ive not really looked into it at all as the height i have on mine is about perfect. i hope you find a way to make it work for yourself and be interesting to see some pics of your progress.

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brake cables are not the problem you can get any length cable made to meet your needs. its the throtle cable that is the trouble. ive not seen or heard of being able to lengthen them to get that much of a rise. although ive not really looked into it at all as the height i have on mine is about perfect. i hope you find a way to make it work for yourself and be interesting to see some pics of your progress.

I think a cable from a 450 race quad would work.

Andy the Digger

Reaction score
Brake hoses are not the problem you can get any length hose made to meet your needs. its the throtle cable that is the trouble. ive not seen or heard of being able to lengthen them to get that much of a rise. although ive not really looked into it at all as the height i have on mine is about perfect. i hope you find a way to make it work for yourself and be interesting to see some pics of your progress.

I got a 5.5 inch riser to work - 3.5 inch ROX sled bar risers on a set of 400ex quad bars - looks goofy - Works GREAT.. much less back and knee pain now, and the setup flexs a little bit over impacts.. I also got the bars ahead about 2 inches, so I am not sitting so far back as well..
I had to re route the throttle, Kill switch, hot start and clutch cables to under the gas tank and up the inside of the frame and triple clamps.. I zip tied everything ( including the tank overflow hose ) on the rider side of the bars.. the Front brake hose BARELY reaches, I had to turn the plastic ring around ( on the number plate ) and move the hose on the fork guard... The hose sticks out a bit, and might catch small branches the odd time when bushing the bike.. I rode it for 5 hours now, and have had no issues with cables sticking.. I really recommend it for tall riders!!

Attachments

• Bars.JPG
    Bars.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 73

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a 5.5 inch riser to work - 3.5 inch ROX sled bar risers on a set of 400ex quad bars - looks goofy - Works GREAT.. much less back and knee pain now, and the setup flexs a little bit over impacts.. I also got the bars ahead about 2 inches, so I am not sitting so far back as well..
I had to re route the throttle, Kill switch, hot start and clutch cables to under the gas tank and up the inside of the frame and triple clamps.. I zip tied everything ( including the tank overflow hose ) on the rider side of the bars.. the Front brake hose BARELY reaches, I had to turn the plastic ring around ( on the number plate ) and move the hose on the fork guard... The hose sticks out a bit, and might catch small branches the odd time when bushing the bike.. I rode it for 5 hours now, and have had no issues with cables sticking.. I really recommend it for tall riders!!

dude WTF!!! how can you ride like that? I thought you were going to raise em like 2" thats like a 6" rise!!! but I guess if thats the way you like them then so be it. in my opinion you should have just made it like this..

j_w10

Reaction score
Good work on the risers andy the digger. glad to see you made them work for yourself.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

holy crap! thats the first time ive ever seen bars that high on a mx bike before.dont you find it twitchy at higher speeds? have you added foam to your seat as well? i lot of taller riders i know do that to.

Andy the Digger

Reaction score
"dude WTF!!! how can you ride like that? I thought you were going to raise em like 2" thats like a 6" rise!!! but I guess if thats the way you like them then so be it. in my opinion you should have just made it like this"
Haha - good one.. I ride it better like this.. I AM 6 foot 7 ( with boots on )... 38 inseam, 230lbs - most bikes are made for 5 ft 7 riders??? Stand beside me arms straight and I bet my fingertips are 4 - 6 inches higher then most... I got a lot of comments at a poker rally about it - one fellow bike rider saw me go through a deep rutted skag hole, and mentioned that it looked quite comfortable and suited me well.. I find I have much more control riding when standing now, and I can control the amount of weight I put on the front tire a lot better from a standing position compared to being bent over - I have way more strength rather then fighting a spasming back... putting the bars ahead 2 inches also helped a bit by getting my weight more to the center of the bike, rather then at the end of the seat... which seemed to make sitting a little more stable and changed my shock sag as well- added seat foam would be a bonus for sure!!!
BTW - I don't ride track or gravel roads - mountain cross country is what I prefer....

Top Bottom