high river flooding RCMP lawsuit

mxracer14

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how this play out since the release of the report.

RCMP DAD

Reaction score
As a member of the RCMP, ( on the QT) I do agree with the gun seizures due to felons taking advantage of the flooding situation. Removing weapons from unoccupied accessable structures makes for a safer situation. However, the process onto which the firearms were seized remains debateable.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a member of the RCMP, ( on the QT) I do agree with the gun seizures due to felons taking advantage of the flooding situation. Removing weapons from unoccupied accessable structures makes for a safer situation. However, the process onto which the firearms were seized remains debateable.

I don't think there is much to debate. It was break and entering, vandalism and theft IMO.

Sent from my iPhone

rider4life

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is much to debate. It was break and entering, vandalism and theft IMO.

Sent from my iPhone

I fully agree those officers should be charged and prosicuted to the full extent of the law, just like any other person would be if they had done that. I know if it was my house and my firearms I'd be doing all I could to press charges

RCMP DAD

Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. When an armed robbery or murder is conducted with an unauthorized firearm it makes it a severe matter. How many of these firearms do you think were actually registered with the province? You may get a suprise. Regardless of how the RCMP obtained them..... In the interest of the public, many communities are much safer regardless. In my opinion

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find it strange that the reasoning for the seizures of weapons was to prevent theft...wasn't this theft.....and why didn't the RCMP put their manpower towards catching these "looters".....so when people leave their homes unattended it gives RCMP free will to go and search for weapons to keep the public safe :confused:......

aocbiz

Reaction score
Sounds kinda shady!
its more like break enter and theft.......whoa but I have a badge so I'm doing it for public safety ....... And you the home owner are now getting a ticket because when I kicked in your door and went through your stuff I found these guns.

i don't follow your understanding of the law. If you want to do the public a good deed in a situation like that you just need to patrol the area and ensure there is no vandalism and theft and looting, in stead of being the perpetrator and then hide behind the badge.

dont get me wrong I truly support the RCMP and other Police officers and I respect what they face every day but this one just seems wrong.

rider4life

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Long rifles don't need to be registered with anyone and frankly breaking into a locked residence and then breaking into a locked safe is blatant B&E, and frankly any hand guns siezed that were properly stored and obtained would be registered so don't give me that BS. This is nothing more then a bunch of corrupt gun hating cops on a power trip, granted not all LEO's are like that, and I do have the utmost respect for most officers, the ones in this case are no better then petty theifs

RCMP DAD

Reaction score
As far as looters go, there were none. Thanks to the RCMP and Armed Forces that were present. You have to understand that any weapon that MAY have been stolen would have made it onto the street. If a felony was conducted in you neighborhood ( robbery/murder) would you hold the investigating agency responsible for not solving the crime? Any firearm registered or not in the wrong hands is a danger to any community! See it as you may.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As far as looters go, there were none. Thanks to the RCMP and Armed Forces that were present. You have to understand that any weapon that MAY have been stolen would have made it onto the street. If a felony was conducted in you neighborhood ( robbery/murder) would you hold the investigating agency responsible for not solving the crime? Any firearm registered or not in the wrong hands is a danger to any community! See it as you may.

WTF.....there was no theft issue, why were doors kicked in !!!!!!

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"For the interest of public safety" point of view has no foot to stand on unless there has been
multiple eye witnesses that made statements stating houses were being broke into by vandal's
and steeling thing's .That needs to be proven before ANY conversation can be considered. IMO
Next I would say under what law was this search and seizure conducted? Show me that law
and I'm sure a bunch of us will shut up.
If what happened just get's ignored and no-one get's charged what next?
I go away on holliday's and come home to find my house was broke into the the authorities
"for the sake of public safety"?
IMO, It doesn't matter if you are the king of england,the president of the united states or
queen sheba. IT'S MY HOUSE........................................no one has the right to enter it or
remove thing's from it.
IF they do,EVERYONE ANSWERS TO THE SAME LAW.

I would further like to add.
I would assume High river had a RCMP station that was also within the "sealed off area"
Was that facility also searched and stripped of all weapon's? If a vandal had the ability to
get into a town that was "sealed off' and had the ability to break into houses he also would
have had the ability to break into the RCPM station.

Last edited:

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Their actions were illegal no matter how one attempts to justify it. The actions of those left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths and a dim view of the other upstanding members of the police force.

Just sayin

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. When an armed robbery or murder is conducted with an unauthorized firearm it makes it a severe matter. How many of these firearms do you think were actually registered with the province? You may get a suprise. Regardless of how the RCMP obtained them..... In the interest of the public, many communities are much safer regardless. In my opinion

The long gun registry was abolished at the time! No need to be registered. As for hand guns that's a different story.

The majority of guns I saw were long guns being taken.

RCMP DAD

Reaction score
As a member of the RCMP I find it very comforting when performing a traffic stop for unsafe driving/ dui/ etc. knowing that there is one less firearm on our streets/highways. It gives comfort for my family as well. I was not involved with the firearm confiscation but fully support any actions taken by those involved. Please feel free to continue this debate. We are not here to hinder but to help and have to look out for the best interest of the public and our fellow officers. I step down from this debate

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Whoooo big fella, the amount of looting / stealing was more than normal, people were chaining chit down, generators were being pilfered at will, houses being picked over.

rider4life

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a member of the RCMP I find it very comforting when performing a traffic stop for unsafe driving/ dui/ etc. knowing that there is one less firearm on our streets/highways. It gives comfort for my family as well. I was not involved with the firearm confiscation but fully support any actions taken by those involved. Please feel free to continue this debate. We are not here to hinder but to help and have to look out for the best interest of the public and our fellow officers. I step down from this debate

The theft of these legal firearms doesn't make your job any safer, get your head out of your ass, the firearms that were illegally seized were in no way a public safety risk. And if the rcmp were there to stop the looting etc like you claim they were then why was there the need to illegally search and seize! This was nothing more then the rcmp trying to take and destroy legally obtained firearms that posed no threat to anyone

Last edited:

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

One less illegal gun yes, however the majority of the guns were legal and properly secured.

The actions of High River were over the top. A complete abuse of authority cloaked behind a badge.

Calgary city police living in High River had their guns registered, properly stored, RCMP notified of such and still had their doors kicked in and when they couldn't break down the door then they shattered windows.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sounds like you want all guns out of the publics hands period.
Joe Sixpacks gun aren't the problem, why not kick down the doors of the gangbangers houses? This disconnect will drive the wedge between cops and gun owners deeper, C68 needs to go.

Top Bottom