*High River Declared State Of Emergency*

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With a name like High River, who would ever guess that it would flood? They seem to get flooded every spring or at least high water warnings every spring.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
This comment says it all....

They call it the Highwood river for a reason. It floods every spring.
This new development was approved by the High River City council, even though long time residents screamed at the top of their heads that it would flood continually.

I do feel sorry for the residents that bought from greedy developers and a willfully blind development board.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This comment says it all....

They call it the Highwood river for a reason. It floods every spring.
This new development was approved by the High River City council, even though long time residents screamed at the top of their heads that it would flood continually.

I do feel sorry for the residents that bought from greedy developers and a willfully blind development board.

Feel sorry for them? Maybe if they pulled their heads out of their azzez and didn't buy on q natural flood plain....

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The river down here in okotoks is getting really high someone said its up to 10ft now the camp ground got evacuated last night not good. You can see the okotoks river in some of those pictures.

Last edited:

SLAYERMIKE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With a name like High River, who would ever guess that it would flood? They seem to get flooded every spring or at least high water warnings every spring.

so true! I hate to see peoples things ruined and stuff it must really suck and my heart does go out to them! but you bought a house on a flood plain in a town called HIGH RIVER!!! then wonder why this happens every spring :confused:

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just talked to my Dad. He's been there since the last big flood in 95 and says the media has blown this thing all out of proportion (as usual). He says there are a few homes flooded out but it's nothing like the last one.

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pictures of the river here in okotoks

DSC_0141.jpg

DSC_0144.jpg

DSC_0150.jpg

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The fraser river here in mcbride has gotten really high, and we dont usually see high water in the fraser for atleast another two weeks or more normally and yah there is still ALOT of snow up top yet.

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear if a state of emergency or disaster is declared then the Alberta tax payers are on the hook. If not declared then the town (in this case of High River) is on the hook for clean up. Stelmach went to HR and had a look but has not made the declaration.

It just infuriates me that people can go ahead and build on a flood plain (and in most cases pay top dollar for that property) and then when they get flooded out we the tax payers have to bail them out. :rant:

Top Bottom