High idle after new tps.. Please help

sledhead80

Reaction score
Well I was riding in revy about a month ago and the sled started acting up on the way down the trail at the end of the day. It would bog right off idle so bad that it would almost die and then after holding the throttle about 1/2 it would take off. It threw a code 51 4. (Tps voltage too low) so after talking with a few people I diagnosed that the tps was bad or out of whack, so to prevent a spoiled trip to the mountains I replaced the tps and set it up as follows.

Back off idle screw until throttle bodies are fully closed. Then feed 12V into the "ECM PWR" connector above the primary clutch. Orange is +, brown is -. Next, check for 5 Volt signal at the ECM. You'll find this at cavity #24 on the lower ECM plug (RED/WHITE wire- back probe with a paper clip with connector plugged in to ECM). You must have 4.99-5.01 V there.

Now check the signal wire coming from the TPS at the ECM- cavity #7 (AQUA wire, again, back probe with a paper clip). With the throttle bodies fully closed, it should be 0.700 volts. If it's out, adjust the TPS. Then set idle to 0.94 volts by adjusting the idle screw.

After setting up idle voltage my sled now idles at around 2350 cold. I noticed when setting up idle voltage that I had to screw in the idle screw quite a ways past where it was originally set with the old/bad tps. I am wondering if I can just back the idle screw back to get it back in idle range or will I encounter any other problems doing this? Or should I be looking for something else? Possible delaminated throttle body boots? Please help.

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A little late, I know, but you shouldnt need to adjust your throttle bodies when you change your tps. You can set the tps manually with a voltmeter like you are doing, but if your machine was idling properly before the tps went out, then you just need to set the lowest voltage on the tps to spec. .93 - .95 volts if me memory serves me. DONT ADJUST YOUR THROTTLE BODIES.

proretro

Reaction score
Hey sorry to dig this old thread up. But was hoping to find out what was causing the high idle. Just got a new TPS in my sled and it's doing the same thing.
Thanks

SnowJunkie82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey sorry to dig this old thread up. But was hoping to find out what was causing the high idle. Just got a new TPS in my sled and it's doing the same thing.
Thanks

One thing to keep in mind when doing this is not all multimeters are created equal and with tight specs this can be an issue on its own. Also, high or low voltage on the power source that is used to supply the 12v will have some impact. You want the source as close to 12 volts as possible not 13.5v or 11v. The other issue I've seen on these sleds with aftermarket fuel controllers (Boondocker Box's) is erradict readings when the controllers are plugged in during this process. You should disconnect the box before you start.

proretro

Reaction score
The dealer installed my tps and set it with their digital wrench. And now it's idling high. Has anyone seen this before?

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They should idle about 1750-1800. Don't not get confused about which is the idle screw and which is the throttle bodies sync screw. The sync screw is in-between the throttle bodies and is a Phillips head screw. the idle screw is a allen wrench screw with a lock nut on the mag side throttle body.

Top Bottom