High Flow mufflers

Cowboyup083

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking to put a high flow muffler on my truck, 2007 2500 HD 6.0 L classic body. I have done AFE stage 2 cold air intake and a superchips programer (Thanks to XSYOURRIDE). This things have made a diffrence in milage and power. But i am think if I opened the exhaust more I just may gain a little bit more milage.

I am not looking for nothing to loud. I do know the the 6.0 L is a very loud engine. I have herd mangnaflow sounds good, but just a little bit to loud for me. I do pull a fifth wheel in the summer time.

I am wondering what is a good high flow muffler to put on this truck that is not much louder than stock but will increase air flow.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
I run Dodge so the sound will be different, but I have had good luck with the Banks Monster Muffler, and I am running the 5" Flo-Pro with my delete kit now. The 5" is a deeper throatier sound, not so tinny, but I am convinced that I have lost power over the 4" setup.

I havnet run one yet, but a buddy has an Aero-Turbine on his, and it sounds great.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know a guy who put a gibson system on his nissan titan and was just a bit louder than stock but gace him some nice numbers as far as mileage goes I really like the banks and magnaflow systems as well but kind of loud but definately check out either gibson or borla

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
cant really compare the sound on a gas engine to a diesel.

Cowboy...check out dieselbombers.com. I am a partner in the site and there is some great chevy info there...

edge rmk700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
most mufflers are very loud on a 6.0 if your pulling a trailer they drone quite badly ,apd makes a muffler for this truck which increases flow but almost as quiet as stock,any questions call me at speedy muffler 780 437-6070 my name is ed.

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cowboy i have done the afe intake with hyperchips programmer and a gibson exhaust and it does make a little difference. i have got nothing but good comments on how nice and original it sounds and i absolutely love the sound of it as you go down as residental street. As for drone while trailering i have to argue that once it hits the 2000 to 2500 rpm range it gets quite quiet with the trailer. Honestly i get more in cab noise from the intake than the muffler, when i did the change over ( did the install myself) i had to run the truck straight off the cat and there wasnt much difference between it and the gibson. The muffler itself is stainless steel in a cylindrical design resembling a glasspack muffler minus the glass. if you want to come listen to it and take it for a rip call me 403 704 5202

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 05 GMC 5.3l w/6.0l heads. I have a hi flow air intake then I removed the cats then opened the exhaust using Flo-pro muffler with a resinator in front of the muffler to cut the noise. I had the code removed for the cats. I was told a stock GM muffler for a pick up flows 550cfm a Flo-Pro muffler flows 1100cfm and the resinator is only 900cfm so my truck now flows 900cfm and the noise is not bad I am 53 yrs old and pull a 24ft trailer. The truck has 410 gears and I get 20.5mpg pulling my trailer I get 14.4 mpg Just my 2cents worth:d:d:beer:

Cowboyup083

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info, Not sure which way I am going to go yet have to do some more pondering on it yet.

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is all stuff I've been wondering about !!!!
I just sold my '05 Avalanche last week and bought a '06 GMC 1500hd. I needed a better hauler for work and play !! I really want to upgrade my air filter, get a programer, and exhaust. For exhaust I want duals out behind my rear tires but don't know of any bolt on system that does that . I found a few systems that go dual out the back (I know I could get them bent so they would come out the side). What is the best system for getting better mileage without the noise ??? How is the afe cold air intake (don't really want a K&N) ?? Let me know what else I should get for getting better mileage and performance ?? (Besides driving like a granny !!! LOL)

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i've got the '05 gmc 2500hd with the 8.1L and i've also got a cold air intake with the dual gibson exhaust. not sure if it made any difference on milage (probably not) cause it was all done when i bought it, but i sure like the sound of it. it isn't too loud, but it is enough that when people hear it, they like it too. the 8.1L isn't that common though, so it in itself sounds pretty throaty too. my exhaust comes out the sides as well.

Cowboyup083

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I phoned to order a Gibson exhaust system today. But the guy I talk to changed my mind.

He told me that by putting a high flow exhaust system on the truck well not really change the mileage on it, it was just make it louder. He said if I wanted to do anything that I should change my cat converter out to a high flow converter. The converter is giving the most restriction in airflow.

So need less to say I am doing some more pondering on this situation.:confused:

Bruteskeg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why dont you just cut out your cats and install a set of true duals ??? like flow master 40 or 50 series mufflers. I dont know or what ever else you want we dont like in California so you dont need your cats. The only thing you will need to do if you hack emm out is get a O2 bypass sensor just to trick the computer to make itt hink it still has the cats.

Cowboyup083

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why dont you just cut out your cats and install a set of true duals ??? like flow master 40 or 50 series mufflers. I dont know or what ever else you want we dont like in California so you dont need your cats. The only thing you will need to do if you hack emm out is get a O2 bypass sensor just to trick the computer to make itt hink it still has the cats.

The truck is still have warntty for another 3 years or 120,00kms.

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cut the cats out and call Cam @ Lightspeed in Red Deer he can take the cat code out and it is not traceable for warranty. He can program the computer to add horsepower and torque. To help fuel economy he can also clear the part of the computer that tells the injectors not to dump 30% fuel every 90sec. to cool down the cats. This will help fuel economy. I had mine done (only good thing to say about the program):d:beer::d:beer:

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cut the cats out and call Cam @ Lightspeed in Red Deer he can take the cat code out and it is not traceable for warranty. He can program the computer to add horsepower and torque. To help fuel economy he can also clear the part of the computer that tells the injectors not to dump 30% fuel every 90sec. to cool down the cats. This will help fuel economy. I had mine done (only good thing to say about the program):d:beer::d:beer:

You see I was going to go that route with my chevy but I decided not to, because if you ever get and service done on your truck and they reflash the computer your hooped and out another 650 bucks. Just my opinion

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:dI am in the business and we will not flash you computer with out you knowing about it. You should not fear a reprograming it is great.:d:beer::d

Cowboyup083

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well finally figured out what do to, Ordered a Gibson Side Swept exhaust, seems to be the best fit for what i was looking for.

Operating 101

Reaction score
I started operating in the oil and gas field last year. Bought myself a 2006 2500hd with a 6.0L. Hehe, never looked into engines before buying, doh!. Anyway what I run is a K&N Cold Air Intake ($360), with a SuperChip($450) and a Helix Power Tower Plus Throttle Body Spacer($160). Pushed a lot of snow this winter. My mileage has gone from 9mpg up to 15 mpg basically considered city mileage. The biggest jump for mileage increase was when i put the throttle body spacer in. I'm looking at doing something with the exhaust, starting with a high flow muffler and working back to the manifold. Lots of good info here...

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the 7.4 liter (? 454 ci) and I love my magnaflow true duels. I have a K&N cold air, cats cut out, and a screwed up O2 sensor on the right rear which is trying to lean out the right bank....lol.....my exhaust shoots both pipes straight out the back and has a nice sound......it might be loud but nothing like these alberta farm trucks lol......I love the sound and I seem to be getting 18-19 mpg on the highway when I go to kelowna.......in town it still sucks at 11mpg lol.........I want to get a programer next!

Last edited:
Top Bottom