HID's - Wtf

mzdspd

Reaction score
Why would you turn off your fog lights when meeting oncoming drivers?

If they are OEM than they are DOT compliant.. This is one thing I will never get. OEM fog lights are small and do not put out a whole lot of long range light (with stock bulbs). Unless your truck is lifted then they should never be a problem.

The only time i have ever gotten flashed is when I had my quad in the box of my 3/4 Chev.

I will continue to drive with my fog lights on at night because there is nothing illegal with it.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why would you turn off your fog lights when meeting oncoming drivers?

If they are OEM than they are DOT compliant.. This is one thing I will never get. OEM fog lights are small and do not put out a whole lot of long range light (with stock bulbs). Unless your truck is lifted then they should never be a problem.

The only time i have ever gotten flashed is when I had my quad in the box of my 3/4 Chev.

I will continue to drive with my fog lights on at night because there is nothing illegal with it.
you'll get a ticket for running fog lights in BC when visibility is clear. here in AB the cops don't give a chit about lighting. one day someone in gov't will realize the cash cow they've been missing out on.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just run stock headlights bulbs and personally have no problems with HID's. I find the biggest issue is when meeting a vehicle people look directly into the grill of the other vehicle. Of course the lights a going to bug you. If you look straight ahead at the lane your driving in theres no issue.

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just run stock headlights bulbs and personally have no problems with HID's. I find the biggest issue is when meeting a vehicle people look directly into the grill of the other vehicle. Of course the lights a going to bug you. If you look straight ahead at the lane your driving in theres no issue.

Stock HIDS are totally fine. It's the aftermarket ones when the guy cheaped out or doesn't know any better and doesn't have a proper kit. There's tons of light "spilling" out and no direct light cut off on the road in front of them. These are the ones that totally blind you. You'll know when you see these guys because there is no just looking straight ahead and being ok with it.

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you'll get a ticket for running fog lights in BC when visibility is clear. here in AB the cops don't give a chit about lighting. one day someone in gov't will realize the cash cow they've been missing out on.

So I started looking into the laws in BC regarding fog lamps. I always thought they were illegal to have on in clear conditions but there is some confusion on this:

Motor Vehicle Act Regulations

This is also an interesting thread from the trucker's point of view:

BCTrucker.com ? View topic - Declare war on fog lights!!!

Transporter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do all kinds of driving, when I meet someone with brights lights I don't cry about it they are gone past in 10 seconds. Just makes me wish I had brighter lights too so I could see better for the test of the 10 hour drive.

orange stealth

Reaction score
Yup. No matter how bright your lights are or anyone else's lights are someone will always have bigger brighter more powerful lights so I say suck it up u bunch of babies and deal with it cuz someone will always have bigger brighter lights to flash you back.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not too surprising that there's quite a few folks with zero understanding of cutoff or glare versus just brighter/dimmer lighting. Buddy's got aftermarket HID's in standard reflector housings; we went sledding once and over 5 hours of night travel we must have got flashed 100+ times by oncoming traffic. I mentioned he probably has an issue with his lighting but he seemed to think ppl were just jealous of his HID's lol.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup. No matter how bright your lights are or anyone else's lights are someone will always have bigger brighter more powerful lights so I say suck it up u bunch of babies and deal with it cuz someone will always have bigger brighter lights to flash you back.
and the IQ level of this board just dropped a few more points.

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let's see how cool and non chalant you boys are when you hit the ditch with your family because you can't see the road in front of you. You're probably the same guys who grossly overload their trucks and run on $****ty tires because you "think it's your right to do what you want". You tough guys will be the first to get whiny when/if something happens to you.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let's see how cool and non chalant you boys are when you hit the ditch with your family because you can't see the road in front of you. You're probably the same guys who grossly overload their trucks and run on $****ty tires because you "think it's your right to do what you want". You tough guys will be the first to get whiny when/if something happens to you.
yes, the flat landers who come to BC once or twice a year with 2 sleds on a deck, all their equipment, aftermarket HID's and cant bother to adjust their headlights for the extra load. Come around a corner, blind the on coming traffic and cant understand why every one is flashing them.

Yup, makes sledders look real good. After all that they wonder why Valemont DOT is picking on them?

orange stealth

Reaction score
Never said I had bigger brighter lights, but knowing when to bitch and not to is a different story. All you bc kids out there think you do no wrong.

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never said I had bigger brighter lights, but knowing when to bitch and not to is a different story. All you bc kids out there think you do no wrong.

smrt.jpg

Transporter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whats the cost difference between throwing in some hid bulbs and getting complete headlight replacements that none if these shops seem to know anything about that install all these hid kits.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For my '12 Ram quad headlamps I can get a set of HID low beam bulb & ballast kit for $120-170 US depending on quality. Or around $800 minus $200 core plus shipping from the US for a set of OEM lamps with HID projectors retrofitted from Retrosolutions. Or the factory '13 HID projector headlights are around $1200 US plus shipping.

Top Bottom