HID's - Wtf

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well, you should try learning from an accredited source. no matter what you say or claim to have found out in your "experiences" you are dead wrong, HID bulbs in reflector housings cannot be properly aimed. end of story. there's a reason why a proper upgrade to HID's costs around a thousand dollars or more in newer vehicles for exactly the reasons you mention. these retrofit kits are cheap and dangerous. as long as idiots claim that their HID retrofits don't bother anyone I will be here to point out that they are irresponsible and uneducated. call me what you want. that's the way it is.

And I suppose I do owe you an apology for assuming you sell/install these kits. my bad.

Have you personally tried aiming these retrofits in newer Ram reflector housings, or are you just basing your experience on what you have read? I am not denying the fact that they are used irresponsibly and 100% illegal, but IMO they can be aimed in (at least some manufacturers) reflector housings...this is my only argument in regards to any of your posts relating to it. Call me "dead wrong"...call me what you want, but I have messed with it and experienced it - and I believe differently. Don't believe everything you read!

Some of the worst lighting violators that I have met on the road to date are "so called" professional drivers in semis that have ZERO respect for anyone on the road but themselves. Many of them have and use illegal lights at all times while driving. Not saying all of them are like that, but I have encountered my fair share.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you personally tried aiming these retrofits in newer Ram reflector housings, or are you just basing your experience on what you have read? I am not denying the fact that they are used irresponsibly and 100% illegal, but IMO they can be aimed in (at least some manufacturers) reflector housings...this is my only argument in regards to any of your posts relating to it. Call me "dead wrong"...call me what you want, but I have messed with it and experienced it - and I believe differently. Don't believe everything you read!

Some of the worst lighting violators that I have met on the road to date are "so called" professional drivers in semis that have ZERO respect for anyone on the road but themselves. Many of them have and use illegal lights at all times while driving. Not saying all of them are like that, but I have encountered my fair share.
yes, as a matter of fact I have tried to properly aim HID's in reflector housings. no matter how low you try and aim them, they still have unnecessary glare. and when you aim them that low in a single bulb housing it has a negative effect on the penetration on the high beam function. our shop is an approved inspection facility, I've played with almost every brand just to see if they can be done without excessive light spill. I wanted HID's in my GM without spending the cash and quickly found that it was not worth it to try and cheap out. so I spent the cash and did it right. well, other than the illegal-for-highway-use LED light bar. when they start enforcing that, I'll remove it.

as for the truckers out there, it was just a matter of time before they started trying to keep up with the joneses in their pickups and their stupid bright illegal lighting. you won't find any non DOT approved lighting on my rig.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When it comes to big trucks, a lot of the lights in the factory location are Legal. It's harder to set up some hids in a housing that has the bulb built in. In our K-wobbler's T800 we run Speaker projected LEDs, fit right in and DOT approved 100% legal, seeing lots of guys around here running them now.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When it comes to big trucks, a lot of the lights in the factory location are Legal. It's harder to set up some hids in a housing that has the bulb built in. In our K-wobbler's T800 we run Speaker projected LEDs, fit right in and DOT approved 100% legal, seeing lots of guys around here running them now.
the only thing that keeps me from getting those (besides the $1300 price tag for all 4) is that guys say in ice fog the lenses don't build heat like a halogen and ice up.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the only thing that keeps me from getting those (besides the $1300 price tag for all 4) is that guys say in ice fog the lenses don't build heat like a halogen and ice up.

Yep they do, drive through a foggy spot or low, and they do fog over, they eventually clear but the lighting is limited for a bit. It's not as big of a problem as some may lead it on it be, your not out of the truck every 5 minutes to whip our lights.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I really don't find these all that offensive to the eye. They are bright no doubt, but it's nice that the light doesn't piss all over.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I find it interesting that you battle to support illegal HID bulbs, then look at your avatar and see a pickup loaded with illegal driving lights. Not biased are you?

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have run the speakers for a couple of years now, I cant stand driving a rig without them, the low beam light is so far superior and the ease on your eyes well makes up for the hinderance in freezing Fog.

I run a set of halogen fog lights just for those occasions.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have some wiring savy, there is a really good way to solve this problem and get incredible LEGAL lighting.

Only buy the Speaker low beam lights, install them as directed. Then take a pair of low beam halogen lights and install them in the high beam side, revamp the wiring so the low beam halogens are turned on by your high beam switch. Then with the money you saved not buying the high beam speakers, buy a pair of Sirius HID 9" approved driving lights. Wire them in off your high beam switch as your supposed to do with a switch so you can turn them off. Now when you put your high beams on you get the crazy light from the HID's, and if you hit ice fog or heavy wet snow, turn your high beams on, turn your driving lights off and you now have halogen low beams for those occasions.

The light you get from your HID's overwelms the normal high beam lights so only having a low beam light wont make any difference to you.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find it interesting that you battle to support illegal HID bulbs, then look at your avatar and see a pickup loaded with illegal driving lights. Not biased are you?

Tom...I am not battling to support anything, but I do know what is right and wrong. I use my truck offroad a HUGE percentage of the time...hence the "offroad lights" and my company name!! I also have blackout covers for all of them, so please don't judge by what you see in an avatar pic!! Thanks for your concern though...

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Becareful, now someone will jump all over you for hating on kokanee

Wtf is wrong with Kokanee? It drives me nutz with people always runnin their mouth. lol :D

My hids aimed up great in my dodge. Drove to cochrane last night and not one person brighted me outta 40 or so vehicles.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow.....Daniel Stern sure does know his stuff. Appreciate the link! I did do a search and he is indeed very well regarded in many forums. His tech information is fantastic. I learned a lot. As one who has had multiple eye surgeries that somewhat compromised my night vision, I can appreciate good quality lighting and really do not appreciate high glare lighting. Working with Daniel to see what he can set me up with. Should be interesting.

tipper

Reaction score
Why do some of you nerds need this annoying lighting? I've never had a problem driving in the dark for 12 hours plus with two old school sylvania square lights mounted level with the top of the hood. They do suck for visabilty in heavy snow or fog I must say but they do get the job done.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Douche bags with the super lights just don't give a f I am sure, I have two punks with rig rockets on my street, new jacked up, mags, exhaust, blacked out windows, and ghetto hid's fog and main. (yes they wear white oakleys). I'd hate to see their monthly payments, maybe that's why they still live at their mom and dad's home. Until it's legislated it won't change, I do have fun trying to time my bright light flashes to catch them before they can react back. Now don't even get me started on minivans and chit boxes with sylvania bulbs...

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Douche bags with the super lights just don't give a f I am sure, I have two punks with rig rockets on my street, new jacked up, mags, exhaust, blacked out windows, and ghetto hid's fog and main. (yes they wear white oakleys). I'd hate to see their monthly payments, maybe that's why they still live at their mom and dad's home. Until it's legislated it won't change, I do have fun trying to time my bright light flashes to catch them before they can react back. Now don't even get me started on minivans and chit boxes with sylvania bulbs...

I'd hate to see the cost of borrowing for these guys driving said vehicles. But I'm sure they don't even know what that is. 'Sweet man, its like 400 a month, such a sick payment!'. lol.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd hate to see the cost of borrowing for these guys driving said vehicles. But I'm sure they don't even know what that is. 'Sweet man, its like 400 a month, such a sick payment!'. lol.
Then when they want to upgrade in 2 years they find out they owe more than there decked out truck is worth.

Top Bottom