HID'S Questions.

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
hey everybody!!!
Im thinkin on throwin some hid's into my truck, and was wondering what temp rating(600k-12000k) i should go with, i know 12000k is a purple color. But im looking for a bright white hid, i know to stick away from blue, darn cops will get me.
Has anyone installed HID's into their vehicles and what temps/colors are produced. Thanx.

muzbomb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have heard that anything over 9000K is ilegal. I have 8000K in my truck high/low beam and i love them i have hand them for 4 years in both my trucks and never got bugged by the cops about them. I beleive the 10K is like a bright white?? I love my 8000K they are awesome and it matches my 20" Rigid LED light bar on the front for the same color of light. If you are going HID i would go 8000K or 10000K the 12K is way to bright and the 6000K is don't bright enough i found.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
get ready for the HID police on here to give you a blasting on HID kits lol! for Hids you need the proper housing for an hid and after that i wouldnt go anything higher than a 6000 k wich is a super white beam! I think hids help a lot others on here say they are worthless piles of chit that should never be allowed on roads and if they encounter someone with them on then they must be disrespectful little fawkers lol! 8000k are really nice lights and have a great color to them I would say go 8000 k man.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This seems to be more about looks than improving the lighting of your truck but either way 4300k is the frequency that produces the most lumens (brightness). Anything other that looks brighter (white blue or purple) but the colour actually washes the road surface and you see less detail especially on snow or wet roads.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will take my 6000K 35 watts over any aftermarket bulb out there...PIAA sucks compared to my 6000K.....my cousin put in 6000K in his YJ but they are the 50watt kit and his are a little brighter......but since neither of our rides are lifted (well 2-3 inches not 2-3 feet lol).....and both adjusted right....they dont blind people.....I have asked everyone I know (old to young) to test coming towards me.......I dont care what anyone says...the 6000 makes the road way easier to see in rain and snow.....I have had 12000K and hated them but yes they look cool but not good in the rain! They make anything that is reflective like cop cars or the lines on the road, stand out BIG time....for miles.......I have gone throught a dozzen road checks and talked to a lot of cops about my HID.......No ticket or problems so far! I just opened up a can of wirms here......if you have lens that are straight plastic (clear) they tend to be bright and not able to make low beams have a sharp cut off line......but my stock 99 (CK style) lights work great and my cousins H4 retro fit glass square lights in his 90 YJ work just as good.......so all I can say is try them but if you get a ticket......guess you have to pay it.....just like my limo tint on the side windows!

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4300k is the brightest....It is a common misconception that higher colour temperatures (K’s) produce brighter lights. This is not true. The colour temperature only determines the colour but not the brightness of the HID light. The Colour Temperature is simply a scale represented by the Kelvin Temperature Chart (hence the abbreviation “K” or “K’s”)..

Yellow light (fogs)
White light with tinges of yellow
5000K:
PURE WHITE LIGHT
6000K:
White light with tinges of blue
8000K:
Distinct blue color light
10000K:
Bluish-green light
12000K:
Bluish-purplish light.

P.S im sure your just guna get slammed on here because your thinking about going HIDs, I wont name names or point fingers and there guna give you a lecture similar to what your father would but dont mind them they have no life and just like to hate on us HID users.

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4300k is the brightest....It is a common misconception that higher colour temperatures (K’s) produce brighter lights. This is not true. The colour temperature only determines the colour but not the brightness of the HID light. The Colour Temperature is simply a scale represented by the Kelvin Temperature Chart (hence the abbreviation “K” or “K’s”)..

3000kYellow light (fogs)
4300kWhite light with tinges of yellow
5000K:PURE WHITE LIGHT
6000K:White light with tinges of blue
8000K:Distinct blue color light
10000K:Bluish-green light
12000K:Bluish-purplish light.

P.S im sure your just guna get slammed on here because your thinking about going HIDs, I wont name names or point fingers and there guna give you a lecture similar to what your father would but dont mind them they have no life and just like to hate on us HID users.

thank God someone else gets it!

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey everybody!!!
Im thinkin on throwin some hid's into my truck, and was wondering what temp rating(600k-12000k) i should go with, i know 12000k is a purple color. But im looking for a bright white hid, i know to stick away from blue, darn cops will get me.
Has anyone installed HID's into their vehicles and what temps/colors are produced. Thanx.

get ready for the HID police on here to give you a blasting on HID kits lol! for Hids you need the proper housing for an hid and after that i wouldnt go anything higher than a 6000 k wich is a super white beam! I think hids help a lot others on here say they are worthless piles of chit that should never be allowed on roads and if they encounter someone with them on then they must be disrespectful little fawkers lol! 8000k are really nice lights and have a great color to them I would say go 8000 k man.

Get your azz ready for a Stompin Tom BEAT DOWN!! :D:D:D

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had 35w 6000k before. Now running 55w 6000k. Much more white with the 55w.

Sent from my eYefone using Tapatalk

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it's retrofit kits that are the problem! used with projector housings, HID's are safe and brighter than halogens and put the light where it is most useful. I swear the biggest problem is you guys and your lack of reading skills or comprehension.

munhoez, use some of the money us whiteys give you and get a good set of projector housings. then get the HID kit from a dealer, stay away from the cheap ebay crap.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
see it a pissing match! just do it, or dont do it! I did it and love it! read my tread above! maybe I used the wrong term retro fit......I ment taking a seal lense and buying the bocsh H4 lense......works great and ZERO complains.....if your lights are two bright or two high the truckers will be the first to flash you! I have never had a flash from a single trucker or anyone in 3 years.....or a ticket........I'm sure I even passed you teeroy!

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
munhoez, use some of the money us whiteys give you and get a good set of projector housings. then get the HID kit from a dealer, stay away from the cheap ebay crap.

---Dez supports this message---

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
now that I think about it I have had HID in all my vehicles for the last 7 years......they have all had 5-6000K except one had 12000K but the temp has nothing to do with how bright it is! no tickets or a single flash! I have had he bocsh H4 conversion lenses in all but the 99 chevy! sorry to burst anyones bubble thinking they are right........i'm just going from the field testing!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
see it a pissing match! just do it, or dont do it! I did it and love it! read my tread above! maybe I used the wrong term retro fit......I ment taking a seal lense and buying the bocsh H4 lense......works great and ZERO complains.....if your lights are two bright or two high the truckers will be the first to flash you! I have never had a flash from a single trucker or anyone in 3 years.....or a ticket........I'm sure I even passed you teeroy!
I'm not gonna argue with you Gary, go look at any vehicle that comes stock with HIDs and look at the housings. they are ALL projector housings for a reason. I'm sure you love your HIDs....just like every other clown that retro fits them in halogen designed housings. because you don't get hi beamed doesn't make them legal, a lot of guys that run the retrofit kits intentionally aim their lights way low and they are still effective. at least they are trying....

puddle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have HID's in my 2011 F350 for headlights and driving lights (35w X 6000). I put the driving lights on the outfitter switches so they stay on while I have high beams. I can see well into the ditches and beyond, but turn them off for oncoming traffic. They work best for rural and back roads.

Dragon4x4

Reaction score
ive got the 6000k hids in my ram and i will say way better than stock you can actually see crap in the ditches, good luck with a halogen i say go hid there way better and cheaper to buy. got my hid sets online at ddmtuning.com and they are great.

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 4300k 55w's they are amazing. I had 2-light force 170's and 2- light force 140's. I could barely tell they were on once I went to the HID's. I LOVE the HID's.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm running hid lights. Plus a 32" light bar and 4-10" 55 watt light force hid. If the truckers wanna play high beams with me they won't like it.

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 Chev Silverado the stock headlamps with fog lamps and they are great. We go off road when going sledding and I have no problem seeing. I don't use the truck for work and have to have the brightest lights around. I have had to flash others with HID that have had too bright of lights installed. After I come onto a truck with HID lamps that are not stock I can not see the road. This might not bother you but it bothers me. I will still flash the SOB's that feel they have too have the biggest baddest lights (and smallest brains) around. My brother has HID light in his Ford, But he got the correct lamps for his truck. Not the biggest baddest. Only my opinion sorry to piss any body off..

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
LMFAO!!!.......I might have to.lol
I dont believe its a retro fit, its half and half for looks and functionality. Im pretty sure i wont be a problem for brightnes since my truck is low to begin with.
I've tried all sorts of halogens to get the visibilty i want, this is my next step. I friiging hate watchin for lil glowing dots on the side of the highway.

Here's what im getting

$(KGrHqJ,!qEE63Z2fW0YBPBF1CYb+!~~60_12.JPG

Top Bottom