Help, wife's sled wont start

Sleddingdad

Reaction score
Hi, I am new, this is my first post. I have my own account with Snow and Mud now I can post for myself instead of my wife (sledding mom) posting for me! I haven't snowmobiled in 25 years so these machines look different then what I remember.
My wife has a 99 Powder Special 600efi. It has only 2900km on it. It has run perfect, but she noticed it wasn't starting from cold like it used to. Normally it would start after 2 pulls. I checked the plug one side looked like it was burning a little better. I tried new plugs, but it wouldn't start. There was spark, it seemed like the plugs were wet. But theres spark? Do you think there is too much fuel, or not enough. I am lost? I am not sure what to do or where to go from here.
Thanks

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am new, this is my first post. I have my own account with Snow and Mud now I can post for myself instead of my wife (sledding mom) posting for me! I haven't snowmobiled in 25 years so these machines look different then what I remember.
My wife has a 99 Powder Special 600efi. It has only 2900km on it. It has run perfect, but she noticed it wasn't starting from cold like it used to. Normally it would start after 2 pulls. I checked the plug one side looked like it was burning a little better. I tried new plugs, but it wouldn't start. There was spark, it seemed like the plugs were wet. But theres spark? Do you think there is too much fuel, or not enough. I am lost? I am not sure what to do or where to go from here.
Thanks

sounds like it is starting ok went warm?

It is possible that the choke is not working properly...........

edit: Ignore my post................now I see it's EFI sorry

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks

She posted for you bro. I think that you should upgrade her sled Nothin' wrong with a 99 Powder Special, But if you can't see that she is the "Special" and up grade her sled, a hard startin' sled will be the least of your worries, LOL

Sleddingdad

Reaction score
Nice It has been easy starting until now. I'm thinking water in the fuel. Put methyl hydrate earlier, but haven't recently. Maybe got bad gas. She rides just about every day with the kids. Never a problem untill now. My son's birthday tomorrow and she was taking all his friends for a ride in the skimmer.

maddog21rmk

Reaction score
does the sparks go fires? if it does, try to put alittle fresh gas in spark hole and start her up n see what happen. if it work, it could be fuel, reed, or prody air.. im not sure.. i have seen my friend's dad do it and got it work.

Sleddingdad

Reaction score
does the sparks go fires? if it does, try to put alittle fresh gas in spark hole and start her up n see what happen. if it work, it could be fuel, reed, or prody air.. im not sure.. i have seen my friend's dad do it and got it work.

We'll warm it up tomorrow and try that. I have to take an industrial first aid course tomorrow, but she will be warming it up. I'm not sure if I want to know how! I told her no flame by the sled! haha. she would bring it into the house if she could.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice It has been easy starting until now. I'm thinking water in the fuel. Put methyl hydrate earlier, but haven't recently. Maybe got bad gas. She rides just about every day with the kids. Never a problem untill now. My son's birthday tomorrow and she was taking all his friends for a ride in the skimmer.[/QU

My sled won't start this is stressful. My husband mentioned about ice in the fuel line. If we did get bad gas, I remember when I had my ZR there was this cottonlike screen thing I dropped into my tank at night and it would suck the water out of it. I can't remember what it is called. Do you know what it is called.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Nice It has been easy starting until now. I'm thinking water in the fuel. Put methyl hydrate earlier, but haven't recently. Maybe got bad gas. She rides just about every day with the kids. Never a problem untill now. My son's birthday tomorrow and she was taking all his friends for a ride in the skimmer.[/QU

My sled won't start this is stressful. My husband mentioned about ice in the fuel line. If we did get bad gas, I remember when I had my ZR there was this cottonlike screen thing I dropped into my tank at night and it would suck the water out of it. I can't remember what it is called. Do you know what it is called.

COULD THAT BE CALLED THE "FITZ" ???

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just at the parts store in town. We don't have an actual sled shop here. They didn't really know what I was talking about. (silly girl wanting to stick things in her sled)I bought new plugs, and snowmobile gasline antifreeze that is safe for injectors, and I have a ceramic heater Blowing into my sled with blankets around it. The plugs my husband put it were the spares from his summit, they were a bit different. Tried to start with the new plugs in, but it's like she wants to go but won't. I'll have to wait to see if the wamth makes a difference or my husband can do as you guys suggested and pour gas right into the plug holes when he gets home. I'm not really sure how to do that and I don't want to screw anything up! Thanks for knowing what I was talking about, now I can phone around. It worked really good on my ZR.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
i was just at the parts store in town. We don't have an actual sled shop here. They didn't really know what i was talking about. (silly girl wanting to stick things in her sled)i bought new plugs, and snowmobile gasline antifreeze that is safe for injectors, and i have a ceramic heater blowing into my sled with blankets around it. The plugs my husband put it were the spares from his summit, they were a bit different. Tried to start with the new plugs in, but it's like she wants to go but won't. I'll have to wait to see if the wamth makes a difference or my husband can do as you guys suggested and pour gas right into the plug holes when he gets home. I'm not really sure how to do that and i don't want to screw anything up! Thanks for knowing what i was talking about, now i can phone around. It worked really good on my zr.

hmmmmmmm, almost sounds like it is flooded..... Have you tried to start it holding the throttle part way down, or all the way down???

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmmmmmmm, almost sounds like it is flooded..... Have you tried to start it holding the throttle part way down, or all the way down???

WooooooHoooooooooo Freakin Awesome! It started oh my goodness you have no idea how happy I am right now!!!! You totally saved my son's birthday party! I was up since 5 stressing about it! Should I let it run for a while, should I take it for a rip and run the gasline antifreeze through the lines? You are awesome! Thanks!

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
WooooooHoooooooooo Freakin Awesome! It started oh my goodness you have no idea how happy I am right now!!!! You totally saved my son's birthday party! I was up since 5 stressing about it! Should I let it run for a while, should I take it for a rip and run the gasline antifreeze through the lines? You are awesome! Thanks!

MAYBE A QUICK LITTLE RIP, BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE IT SHOULD BE OKAY ANYWAY........ GLAD TO HELP. ITS ALL FOR THE KIDS!!!!! GOOD JOB MOM!!!
:clap2::snowmobilers_wave:

NOW ON TO THE BIRTHDAY PARTY..... HAVE FUN, AND TAKE SOME PICS.:birthday2::girlpower::ThumbsupMsn::happybday:

maddog21rmk

Reaction score

wow sound like you gone for like six minutes!

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just at the parts store in town. We don't have an actual sled shop here. They didn't really know what I was talking about. (silly girl wanting to stick things in her sled)I bought new plugs, and snowmobile gasline antifreeze that is safe for injectors, and I have a ceramic heater Blowing into my sled with blankets around it. The plugs my husband put it were the spares from his summit, they were a bit different. Tried to start with the new plugs in, but it's like she wants to go but won't. I'll have to wait to see if the wamth makes a difference or my husband can do as you guys suggested and pour gas right into the plug holes when he gets home. I'm not really sure how to do that and I don't want to screw anything up! Thanks for knowing what I was talking about, now I can phone around. It worked really good on my ZR.

Becareful with "different plugs" . I think that the powder specials uses NGK BR9E YA and BR9E will also work with a gap of 0.030". I am not sure what plugs Summit's use Champions NC 57 ? :)

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Becareful with "different plugs" . I think that the powder specials uses NGK BR9E YA and BR9E will also work with a gap of 0.030". I am not sure what plugs Summit's use Champions NC 57 ? :)

as he said put the correct plugs in it..................as per the NGK website, the 99 Powder special 600 takes the BR9EYA.........but make sure you confirm that from your manual of where ever you buy your plugs........

my o3 summit 800 takes BR9ECS

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca

I DOO ACCEPT HUGS AND KISSES;) ..... HOW WAS THE PARTY? DID THE KIDS HAVE A GOOD TIME??:d

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sitting here srolling through the threads, feeling pretty blaa as I have the night shift in the frezzing cold blues. But after reading this thread It warms the carcules of my heart....very very cool!:d:):d

Top Bottom