Help on Polaris sportsman 500 whell bearings

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am going to help a buddy change out some wheel bearings on his 2004 500 Polaris Sportsman Quad ( wheels are wobbely). I look at the parts fisch and it looks basic ( tappered bearings etc.). Is there any special tools, pullers, torque values or thing to watch out for that are a must for this job ? We have to do both front and rear wheels . Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers :beer::beer::beer::beer:

stealth800

Reaction score
You might need a
Press to get the new bearings into the housing mine were real tight to get in. As well don't buy the Polaris bearings take the old ones to a bearing dealer, the dealer wanted 80 bucks per bearing where my brother in law who is a bearing dealer got them for me at cost 25 he said that he would sell them retail at 35 good luck they are pretty easy to change

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you need snap ring pliers, a punch and a hammer. a propane torch works helps to. use the punch and hammer to punch the old bearing out. put the new bearing in the freezer. take the torch and heat up the hub. take the bearing out of the freezer and if you heat up the hub enough the new one will just slide in. other wise just use the outer race of the old bearing to punch in the new bearing.

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go to parts source, found the bearings there for $30.00. Basic hand tools should be all you need

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In stead of using the freezer stop in at local Praxair or liquid air dealer and get some dry ice it works great i did a alot bearing that way

OverBore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You might need a
Press to get the new bearings into the housing mine were real tight to get in. As well don't buy the Polaris bearings take the old ones to a bearing dealer, the dealer wanted 80 bucks per bearing where my brother in law who is a bearing dealer got them for me at cost 25 he said that he would sell them retail at 35 good luck they are pretty easy to change

I agree, Dealers of all types charge too much for common bearings available elsewhere.

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see your in sherwood park if you need something pressed on i'll do it for free. just PM me.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got bearing/seals for my Rhino from Blackfoot Direct. Cheaper than I could get them with a commercial account at BC Bearing, Commercial etc. They might be crap but at $20 a wheel for bearings and seals I'm gonna try them out.

Top Bottom