HELP!!.. im new

2010rmk800144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2004 kfx 400, and i have a coouple questions, it doesnt like to start sometimes and i have no clue why, we recently did the brushes in the starter and big a wicked battery on it, still nothing, so we took and checked to see what its jetted it and my main jet is 150, and everything seems to be fine, so we put a new plug in it (ngk CR7E) and put everything back together, then tried to start it again, no luck, but u give it a shot off ezee start, and bam she starts and runs like a beauty, can anyone think of what else i should check? i also drained the old fuel i bought the qaud with and put in new premiuim... please any ipput would be helpful.

ALSO jw if anyone has a diagram of all the hoses conected to the carb, AND is there a tool u cna get that allows you to change your plug out in the field or whereever without pulling ur gastank off? THanks for any help

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would do things like change the fuel filter and spark plug wire/cap. See if that makes a difference. I assume it turns over fine?

2010rmk800144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea i was thinking about fuel filter next, well the guy i bought it from says he never ran it except when it was nice in the summer, i mean its plus 15 in my garage and it still wouldnt fire, yea when im trying to start it just turns over and over and over but doesnt fire, then u give it a shot of that clean start and it fires right up

Med1ogre

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say the the valves need to be adjusted, when its hard starting that is almost always the culprit with these motors.
Check the petcock as well, in the on position it works off vacuum and is prone to fugging up. in the reservoir position it just flows.
you can use a raptor 660 petcock and get rid of that vacuum crap.

Last edited:
Top Bottom