help and advise needed assault turbo issues ...

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buddy had his 2011 assault motor rebuilt by polaris in edmingtin. picks it up and it dont run. they change plugs and its fine.
he takes it strait to LA customs to get a turbo fitted
2013 ecu
silber turbo
bigger injectors
bullydog programer
he brings it to golden and it is making good power.
however it would bog down at times under big power and big pulls sometimes. deep snow ...
on the way out it shut down. weird! starts up but not happy. motor was fine but some issue.
next morning she would start but as soon as it got upto idle (just as lights would come on) it would either die completely or we could just keep it runnning but would never stay at idle. this is where its at 6 months later.
we had her stripped down and swapping parts and nothing changes, I'm thinking electrical brains somewhere.
we swapped back to original ecu, swapped fuel pump, coz thats wot LA customs said(they have been remarkably unhelpful, (steve miller band"go on, take the money and run!")
it currently in another polaris dealer awaiting diagnostics ...

I know more than a few of these have been turbo'ed and would really appreciate any thought or ideas no matter how crazy, coz sometimes its far more simple than some people think ...

thanks ...

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend's sled was acting the same way as you are mentioning as far as firing up and as soon as lights and such came on it would shut down. Found the voltage regulator was screwed. No clue if this is the same situation but that is a cheap part to try.

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had my mag pickups on my stator come loose and slightly contact the stator. Exact same symptoms. Pull the cover and have a peak.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks guys ... both make sense.

dealer thinks turbo oil pump may be drawing too much power.

we had thought voltage reg, as sled played up abit the day before.

it would also explain the bogging issue on hill under big load. but pickups could do the same.

my skidoo had the voltage reg fail and it sure gave elec issues that created confussion

I'll post here the out come

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's so funny how dealers will say anything to make it not their issue. The oil pumps on these kits take very little voltage and draw very little amperage.
My 12 turbo pro was plagued with so many factory problems. And absolutely every time, they blamed it on a turbo kit. It got to the point where I would take the turbo completely off, just to prove them wrong. 99% of the time it wasn't turbo related .'
dont be bullied by them, and sink a bunch of money into parts that could be the problem. They have specific tools, procedures, and specs that they follow to determine if a part is good or not. In fact, I have the pro manual onmy phone I can email, so you can diagnos most parts/problem. Pm your email, and I'll get it to you

+SLEDWRECKS+

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've gone through all this sh!t before on my 11 pro. Long block was replaced under extended warranty at 3800 kms, but original stator and aux. components get reinstalled.
I then turbo'd the sled and found stator to be weak (lights flickering and stalling at idle) so I replaced it along with the voltage regulator and ran the TSS off the throttle block under the hood as it has caused numerous helmet throwing episodes.
Stator did fix my issues for awhile but now they are creeping back. Fuel pump is most likely on its way out and draws to many amps when its bad.
It's not just the draw off the oil pump, but the extra injectors (if you run BoostIt), fuel box, aux. water pump, and gauges - AFR draws a bit too, it adds up.
Good luck.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unplug your head lights, that will save some power draw and see if that helps.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks again guys ...

we disconected everything we could and still have it start, all lights etc. la customs said it was fuel pump as c111 can dry it out making it work harder. swapped it and nothing changed.

I'm not sure the progress on sled at mo. I'm hoping the dealer (who aint the sharpest tool in the shed) can diagnose which component has failed. stator could deff be overloaded as mentioned above ...

I'll let ye'all know when I know ...

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think one of his biggest problems it taking it to La customs! I never heard any body happy with there work!

been awhile since ive read a silber turbo and LAcustoms problem thread i would avoid both like the black plague !. i took mine in there and it came back worse, i walked into their shop and some kid who looked like he just crawled out of a dumpster was working on the sleds.

my best advice is pull the kit asap before it takes out the motor.

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a set of injectors in my garage if you need them. I added a cup of oil in my tank to keep things lubricated.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks again guys ...

the dealer found the voltage reg had failed. apparently not uncommon and said some guys carry a spare ???

I can't but wonder how many days riding he will get before the next prob. it eats money. so does his razor sxs ...

Skyline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is Jeff's sled isn't it? He has nothing but troubles with it, tell him to up grade ha ah ha . Could have bought 2 sleds for the money he has into it

(SK)AndyM

Reaction score
thanks again guys ...

the dealer found the voltage reg had failed. apparently not uncommon and said some guys carry a spare ???

I can't but wonder how many days riding he will get before the next prob. it eats money. so does his razor sxs ...

I had similar issues a few years back on my dragon. VR went bad, or so i thought, switched it out and she was running fine. A few miles later my top end seized up, injectors werent firing right. Took everything apart and noticed the ECU had a hole melted out the back, i think the VR was going and the ECU was overheating trying to run. Switched out ECU and VR again, rebuilt top end and good to go.

mt.sledder

Reaction score
should always run a small amount of oil in your fuel when running av gas, (not sure about race fuel) after a while the fuel pump will start to draw more amps and a few minutes after you add some oil to your fuel you will notice an improvement.

Top Bottom