Helmet Question Gang ?

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been wearing a open helmet since my First New 1972 Elan,
had a few dozen sleds since then and the Same Helmet. foams coming out, paint not good, snaps been replace with screws.
I just got a 2003 800 Vertical Escape and my sons say its TIME Pa. to replace the Helmet!
I wear glasses and never could wear a full face, BUT ,with all this power under me now, need better protection, any ideas of a helmet that wont fog my glasses gang.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wear glasses and never could wear a full face

Why not? Lots of riders wear full face helmets and glasses. What about the MX style helmets?

Get a breath deflector and your fogging days are over.

Lots of options out there, get one that feels slightly tight on your cheeks, it will fit you perfect after it wears in, don't go too loose or once it wears in it will be too loose on you.

Try lots and lots and lots and lots on and buy the one that fits well and feels good. Stay within your price range but don't worry about the price difference between the ones you narrow your choice down. Your helmet spends a lot of time on your head, that extra $40 is gonna seem like peanuts when your head is sweating all day because you got the cheaper model with less venting (as an example). No you don't need a $1000 carbon fibre helmet, it will not protect you any better than the $300 helmet, it just weighs less.

Wear it and make sure your son has many good years of riding with his old man.

DOONORTH

Reaction score
Investigate some of the better models of modular helmets. They open up for glasses removal, but give you the better protection for the trees. I believe you can even get it with electric visor.
Good luck in your quest. Finding a helmet to match your riding style is almost as hard as finding that perfect ride.:)

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Half decent MX helmet with over glasses goggles. I bought a pair of 509s last year and they seem to have more foam than some of the others I've tried so they may go over your glasses. But as mentioned try on a few different types and match your goggles to that helmet as very pair of goggles fits every helmet differently. Good luck :beer:

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been wearing a open helmet since my First New 1972 Elan,
had a few dozen sleds since then and the Same Helmet. foams coming out, paint not good, snaps been replace with screws.
I just got a 2003 800 Vertical Escape and my sons say its TIME Pa. to replace the Helmet!
I wear glasses and never could wear a full face, BUT ,with all this power under me now, need better protection, any ideas of a helmet that wont fog my glasses gang.

Pro-Vue makes prescription goggles. That's what I wear. they even come with a fan for fogging. Check out their website. I just bought my second pair.

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want a no-worries modular full face helmet, the only choice in my mind is the Ski-doo Modular or Modular-II. These helmets feature a fighter pilot style cover for your mouth and nose, which seals and ports the hot air out the sides of the helmet. They also feature a built in sun shield and a quick release chin strap. I used a Modular for 6 years with zero complaints with glasses. I now only wear it on very cold days as the wind/cold protection is very good with this helmet. Manufacturers recommend retiring helmets every 5 years, as the impact absorbing properties get worse and worse every year. If you want to go with an MX style helmet, I would recommend one with a lot of venting. I heat up very quickly, and find that without good venting in the MX hemet, the heat lingers around my glasses unless I am moving. This year I took the plunge and purchased the Klim F4 helmet. 41 vents with goretex windstopper technology. This should work very well for me. I have 3 different sets of goggles - Ski-doo by Smith, Scott, and 509. I find that all 3 fit over my glasses and work well as long as I don't get too hot. The 509s rarely ever fog, but my glasses will under them if my face heats up. I would recommend quick straps, that way you can remove the goggles quickly when you stop, which will help cool your face down. You can also look at goggles with built in fans, and I have heard that they work excellent, but make sure you test them out with your helmet and glasses to make sure that they fit properly. I couldn't find a pair that would work for me. Habervision now makes a universal fan system that fits most goggles and should do the trick too. I think if you search this site for habervision you will see a code you can put in on the Habervision website to get the fog eliminator for $60 US. I also recently started wearing contact lenses, and they will be my answer this winter for the glasses/helmet/goggles issue. Hopefully this long winded post will answer some questions for you.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Habervision makes an optical insert that can fit into any goggle. You order the insert take it to your optician who will fill it with your prescription and then you fit it into your goggles. here is a link to the thread we posted about the optical insert:

Habervision also has an eliminator fan that you can fit in your goggles that eliminates all fogging issues. They actually have the MXT double vermillion snowmobile goggle with eliminator combo on sale right now for $72.00. The eliminator alone retails for $60.00 so it is a heck of a deal!

If you need more information on either of these please feel free to ask us. To order any of the Habervision products you can just click on the link in our signature and it will take you to their site with our affinity code already entered which gives you an automatic 50% discount.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds like sleeper 700 likes the Ski-Doo Modular. I have one and don't use it any more. If you are interested PM me and I will sell it to you. How does a $150. sound for a price?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No matter how you cut it, glasses are a pain! I'm gonna try the Habervision fan system this year. It's gotta be better than everything else I've tried! :rant:

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am going with the contacts method, and am still interested in the Habervision Eliminator. Trax2Treadz, what would be the main differences between the MXT Vermillion ($72) and the Ouzo Eliminator ($119) other than the Over The Glasses feature of the Ouzo? I see that the Ouzo has a polarized lens, and I don't see polarized on the MXT page, is this the case? The deal on the Ouzo is pretty good too - 54% off, regular $260.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Ken.... The sled show is coming up and there are usually some awesome deals on mx style helmets at the show..... You'll probably find some good goggles(for glasses) and breathe deflector as well...... Again, congrats on the sled, ken!

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
I am going with the contacts method, and am still interested in the Habervision Eliminator. Trax2Treadz, what would be the main differences between the MXT Vermillion ($72) and the Ouzo Eliminator ($119) other than the Over The Glasses feature of the Ouzo? I see that the Ouzo has a polarized lens, and I don't see polarized on the MXT page, is this the case? The deal on the Ouzo is pretty good too - 54% off, regular $260.

Hi Sleeper

The difference between the MXT and the Ouzo is exactly as you have observed the Ouzo is made for over the glasses and has the polarized lens option. However, some glasses frames will fit in the MXT it all depends on your frame size and shape. I spoke with our Habervision rep and she also mentioned that some people who's glasses are just slightly too big will cut a slit in the foam of the goggle and then the glasses frame will fit in the goggle nice and snuggly.

Something to keep in mind when ordering though is that Habervision has a 100% guaranteed fit policy. They and we want you happy with your purchase. They will credit 100% of your original order value when calling 303-459-2220 within 10 days of receiving your order for an RA# to initiate the refund. When they receive the returned item in the original, as packed, condition (product, hangtag, pouch, etc.) they will refund your Credit Card 100% of the original charge. (full refunds cannot be processed beyond 30 days of original purchase date, in store credit will be issued).

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask!!

Jan & Larry

Top Bottom