Helmet communication systems???Who has used them????

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As per title,who has any experience with these things?How well do they work,ect.
My X's boy comes trail riding with me,and he would love to be able to chat while we
are out touring around the trails.I have only found 2 company's that make these type
of units,Collett and chatterbox.pro's and con's???????????????
Any help would be awsome,thank's

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a few years ago we bought snofones from Collett. They worked great for when a guy was stuck in sight and the sled was shut off, but if anyone was on the throttle the mic is so sensitive it picks up the pipe and it screams in everyone elses ears.
so if you dont have a loud sled/bike/quad it should be o.k. we are buying 655t garmin two way radios this year and plan on using the throat mics. some people have said that they work very well. They are $500+ each though

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No experience with this, but my one thought is that the best way to hear the audio coming from the radio will be with a custom-molded in-ear-monitor. Costco does the ear impressions for cheap.

go green

Reaction score
I have the chatter box on order , the info says 5 miles ? I will be happy if the system works in a 1 mile non line of sight.

four4all

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We use SENA SMH-10's... awesome. These things have made bikin' and quadn' way more fun. Tunes or talking - Highly recommend them.
I've got a pair of Colletts kicking round here I should put up for sale.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a set of Collettes a few years back. They were way more hassle than what they were worth. They've likely improved since I owned them..at least I would hope they have.

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a set made by u clear communications. They work great, 1 mile or so range, no wind or machine noisem designed for military. Check them out on line, they even have a video that's pretty accurate on the sound deadening system.

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a set made by u clear communications. They work great, 1 mile or so range, no wind or machine noisem designed for military. Check them out on line, they even have a video that's pretty accurate on the sound deadening system.

i need something for my navigator and I in a race boat. Only two feet apart, but also have a screaming V8 with open headers behind us....wondering if this is the answer?

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Def check out the website. They do have a few models, rider to rider, or rider to passenger, etc...

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm freakin glad we don't have a helmet communication system....
We have signals though..

My husband shakes his head.. translation.. WTF@#%@%@%@ are you doing......

claps his hands.. the female version of balls to the wall.. HIT IT!!!

fist in the air.. STOP FOR crapin hecks @#@%@%QS sake....

pointer finger going in a circle in the air.. Pick it up old lady... not going to get up the hill going that slow....

I have only one hand signal I give him.. It consists of my middle finger...............

That's all I have to say about that....

Snow Angel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm freakin glad we don't have a helmet communication system....
We have signals though..

My husband shakes his head.. translation.. WTF@#%@%@%@ are you doing......

claps his hands.. the female version of balls to the wall.. HIT IT!!!

fist in the air.. STOP FOR crapin hecks @#@%@%QS sake....

pointer finger going in a circle in the air.. Pick it up old lady... not going to get up the hill going that slow....

I have only one hand signal I give him.. It consists of my middle finger...............

That's all I have to say about that....

HAHAHA and this is why I love you MOMMA!!!!

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk2

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the last setup I used were like these

the mic is inside the earpiece, called a bone vibration microphone meaning absolutely zero chance of wind or engine noise. they plug into any FRS or GMRS radio, they worked the best of all the systems I tried. had the collett 900mhz and the chatter box before buying these. in a quiet environment such as hunting, you can almost whisper and the other person can hear you.

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sort of the same lines............any idea were to get thin speakers that'll stick to the inside of a helmet? I can't use earbuds.

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The u clear system I mentioned earlier have the velcro stick on ear pieces that are super thin, and soft.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the last setup I used were like these

the mic is inside the earpiece, called a bone vibration microphone meaning absolutely zero chance of wind or engine noise. they plug into any FRS or GMRS radio, they worked the best of all the systems I tried. had the collett 900mhz and the chatter box before buying these. in a quiet environment such as hunting, you can almost whisper and the other person can hear you.

So, the collett wasnt any good?The FRS radio you used,you just had to push the talk button while you were riding
or pulled over?With the range of some of those not so expensive FRS radio's that might not be too bad of a set up.
Was it the collett Platinum 900's you had?

Last edited:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, the collett wasnt any good?The FRS radio you used,you just had to push the talk button while you were riding
or pulled over?With the range of some of those not so expensive FRS radio's that might not be too bad of a set up.
Was it the collett Platinum 900's you had?
the collett is a VOX (voice activated) setup and comes on by itself a lot unless you turn the sensitivity way down, then you have to holler into it to activate and keep hollering to communicate or the mic will cut out. the collett wasn't the platinum but it was the 900mhz system. the FRS setup has a separate PTT button that comes with the earpiece, you clip it to your jacket and keep the radio inside a pocket somewhere.

the other thing about the collett, the boom mic would shock your lips sometimes when it was wet from breathing on it in the cold.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I have found so far,The Uclear HBC100's retail for $150 and the New HBC 200
retails for $200 .The reviews on these seem pretty good,and the noise cancelling seems
awsome too.
The SENA SMH 10's also retail for a bout $200 each.The reviews also seem pretty good on these
I would maybe say the technology is way further ahead with the Uclear's compared to the SENA.

talkinghamster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what did that set you back? I am in the process of buying five from my dealer and they won't deal all that much.

honestly i cant remember i bought them in the summer. i know they werent giving them away though. its nice to be able to listen to music while driving and it cuts out when someone talks/you talk. over all im impressed with the system.

Top Bottom