Heavy Equiptment Operator- How too?

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im looking at trying to get into The Industry and hopefully get a Job up north running Heavy Haulers or some sort of Heavy Equiptment.

Does anyone Know how a guy would get into this, or anyone Hiring to Train people.

Also what kind of Money do Equiptment operators make Up north?

Thanks,

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
pays well up north from what i hear, mallard d69 might be able to help you out with some info

Im looking at trying to get into The Industry and hopefully get a Job up north running Heavy Haulers or some sort of Heavy Equiptment.

Does anyone Know how a guy would get into this, or anyone Hiring to Train people.

Also what kind of Money do Equiptment operators make Up north?

Thanks,

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are equipment operator courses that you can take to get in the door as a labourer. You have to prove your not a douche then you can look for 25-28 an hour. The new guys are in the 22 ish area. Good operators can take 40+ but that's cause they can go 90 MPH safely all day everyday, and have massive experience. I spent half a summer on a hoe and i found that im a way better mechanic..... The guys that can pull grade in a ditch are rockstars in my opinion.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
There are equipment operator courses that you can take to get in the door as a labourer. You have to prove your not a douche then you can look for 25-28 an hour. The new guys are in the 22 ish area. Good operators can take 40+ but that's cause they can go 90 MPH safely all day everyday, and have massive experience. I spent half a summer on a hoe and i found that im a way better mechanic..... The guys that can pull grade in a ditch are rockstars in my opinion.

it is deff. an art, i consider myself to be pretty decent on machinery but its alaways amazing to watch a good operator in action, saw some incredible chit when i worked the pipe line

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

well pulling grade is pretty easy now with the gps equiped cats and graders makes even a chitty operator looks good i know keyano college has an equipment operator course u can take in fort mac

CTWilly

Reaction score
Dont take a course. It's a joke. I've worked with guys that have taught the overpriced courses and they were all shitty operators. If unemployment insurance pays for it than it would'nt hurt to take the course as they are about 10k-15k to take it. But that was on hoes and dozers. Can't really say too much about heavy haulers but I think most of them start out on wiggles. Most I ever was paid was $39/hr. Good luck.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you're looking to just send in applications to get a job in the trade or go to school for the trade, but they have courses for this at Keyano College in Fort Mac.
Keyano College - Programs & Courses
If you go about half way down the page there are courses for the heavy side of things. Probably wouldn't have too much of an issue getting a job "on site" with that training :)

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it is deff. an art, i consider myself to be pretty decent on machinery but its alaways amazing to watch a good operator in action, saw some incredible chit when i worked the pipe line

Pipeliners can lay allot of pipe in a day but they have no idea about grade. When you do water mains, storm sewer, sewer mains in a city the guy on the hoe has to pull a % of grade in a consistent manner. or else the bedding material goes up and you get run off. Tough job and the guy that can do it are worth every cent. Oh while they are doing that they have to dig around live gas lines some of which nobody knows about. Fibre optics, and all sorts of other wacky ch!t.

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you're looking to just send in applications to get a job in the trade or go to school for the trade, but they have courses for this at Keyano College in Fort Mac.
Keyano College - Programs & Courses
If you go about half way down the page there are courses for the heavy side of things. Probably wouldn't have too much of an issue getting a job "on site" with that training :)

By the looks of it it is a 1 month course cost about 5600 and then a 600Dollar COOP fee for a 3 month paid employment term. And it is also sponsored by Suncor,Shell, and Syncrude.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well pulling grade is pretty easy now with the gps equiped cats and graders makes even a chitty operator looks good i know keyano college has an equipment operator course u can take in fort mac

You dont PULL grade in a grader. Sub- surface is still by feel. 20 grand and you can have you bobcat do the work for you, but is your talent pool than shallow? pay the dude and get-er done.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah i still go by feel 8000 hours on a bobcat u get good after a while :d

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im trying to figure out if it is worth it for me to get into,looking at doing it for 5 or so Years. It just has to work better than my current Job 23Hr 40hrs /Wk in office.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a long long long time ago I learned to run equipment... Hoe and Cat.. but there wasn't a course or a specific mentor per say..

I spent ENDLESS hours cleaning Tracks and greasing nipples in hopes of learning how to operate. I was the low peep on the totem pole for a long time and had to work my way up into being trusted running a piece of equipment. I guess the only input I have is low guy on the totem pole can be tedious, but you sure learn the ropes of equipment operating from those who run it when they see you are a dedicated and hard worker. Don't expect to jump right into a machine. Be prepared to get dirty. The old cranky cat skinners out there are the worlds best teachers. They have endless experience and knowledge.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
yea but i've watched them walk over the lines, jump ditches, walk into and out of 15' trenches, with sheer sides.....impressive chit

Pipeliners can lay allot of pipe in a day but they have no idea about grade. When you do water mains, storm sewer, sewer mains in a city the guy on the hoe has to pull a % of grade in a consistent manner. or else the bedding material goes up and you get run off. Tough job and the guy that can do it are worth every cent. Oh while they are doing that they have to dig around live gas lines some of which nobody knows about. Fibre optics, and all sorts of other wacky ch!t.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ha! Sorry Gotboost, apparently you're a faster typer than me, didn't mean to poach your comment :) :beer:

Top Bottom