Heavy equipment technician places to apply?

Junior Highmark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Highschool is done in a month, and I'll be able to start work in about a month. I would prefer to get into a field service job, a changing work site seems cool. I'd love to work as many overtime hours as possible

Where should I apply to start as an apprentice? Everyone seems to be looking for 3rd and 4th year techs.

I cant work in a place like Acheson though as thats an hour drive!

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Bite the bullet! Cut the apron strings! Be adventure some! See another part of Canada!

Finning. SMS. Teck Coal. Cummings. HeadWater. All serving the coal industry in south eastern BC. Big bucks and lots of overtime. Cheap living accommodations and some of the best sledding in western Canada.

Just some of my thoughts.......

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're in Sherwood park right? Apply at sureway construction. Lots of work and lots of variety to work on. A good friend of mine works there.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bite the bullet! Cut the apron strings! Be adventure some! See another part of Canada!

Finning. SMS. Teck Coal. Cummings. HeadWater. All serving the coal industry in south eastern BC. Big bucks and lots of overtime. Cheap living accommodations and some of the best sledding in western Canada.

Just some of my thoughts.......

From what I've seen the jman rates in the SE BC at the coal mines are no better than that in Edmonton.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the way i see it, any place with heavy equipment would be a good place to start lookin, if yer lookin.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
great recommendation there "Tips"

take a walk down any street in an industrial area, seems like everyone has a sign out that they are hiring. edmonton should be no different, unless your trying to find work at the cow lake store.

give the lad the benefit of your many years of job hunting.

Last edited:

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Coal companies.... Teck in particular don't pay anything worth looking at imo..... Especially to work in a filthy coal environment. I spent two years of my life doing maintenance work in a couple coal plants and now that I contract myself I won't touch it again.....However if SMS is like how Transwest was and a "revolving door" they will probably hire you.

And realistically Sherwood Park to Acheson is not an "hour" away. Unless you live out by Elk Island Park in straight rush hour traffic. When I come off shift I make it to my girlfriends condo down by West Ed from the Mundare turnoff on Highway 16 in about 45-50 minutes during the evening rush.

Expand your horizons and there are plenty of oppurtunities right now out there especially for someone young and trying to get an in. Leduc/Nisku would be another area for you to look for.

Last edited:
Top Bottom