Heavy duty mechanics

Junior Highmark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm getting into the trade.

What is everyone's thoughts on it? I haven't been able to talk to many real mechanics.

What's your lifestyle and hours like? Do you make a comfortable living and feel secure in your job?

What's the best benifits and worst downfalls?

(PS. I don't mind traveling north to go work on site)

Sent from my killer Nexus S.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my cuz works for syncrude and he loves it ... comfortable living up there sure he has told me no over time 150,000 a year and over time 200-250000... but it will depend on where were you work.... he was hired right out of nait so... i have worked with some in the city here well it is a hard job well some have it hard... as for security if your good and that well you will be good, if you back talk and argue well you will not have a job that goes with any job

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as a first year you'll be looking at 50-60 k a yr in edmonton, go to fort mac totally different story. you cant compare ft mac money to edmonton money. cost of living in ft mac ,unless in a company paid for camp, will eat up nearly all the extra money you make. once ticketed you should be around 100k a yr in the city thats with no overtime. as it was said before if your good and do what your asked you will have job security, if your a snot nosed punk that talks back and doesnt do what is asked of you you will bounce around from job to job. we are looking for second year + guys right now and in three weeks i have got 2 resumes. so lots of work out there imo for hd mechs right now. good luck.
best bet imo though is try to get in at a dealer, they will always have units coming in and out and if your good they keep you around. i put in 4 yrs at freightliner and it was good. decent group to work for, good pay, benifits, hrs etc. just got to high up the ladder and disagreed with some of the "politics" of the buisiness. but would recomend them to anyone starting out.

fatguy1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Defiantly a trade with a high demand, it also has a lot of different options to branch out into or specialize in.

If tractor/trailer units float your boat you could get a job at a dealership as stated or at many transport/hauling operations
Or you can do the off highway thing repairing excavators, dozers, and/or work on the big stuff in Fort Mac
Maybe the Gas Compression thing would be the most interesting
I worked in the Forestry industry for a few years fixing Processors and Bunchers (I loved the smell of fresh cut trees as I entered a cut block to work on a piece of equipment)
I’m sure others will post other options not yet mentioned.

As mentioned If you have a good attitude and aren’t afraid of work and getting a little dirty I’m sure you will go far. I would 2nd the advise to work for a dealership if you go the truck route.
The Overtime and possible work schedule may cramp your sledding plans/lifestyle (I know mine suffered)

My biggest piece of advise would be to take care of your self/body, watch what chemicals your around or touching with you bare skin/hands. Don’t kneel on the hard ground for hours on end with out padding and don’t jump off of machines every day (your knees/joints will thank you when your older) and as gay as it may sound, protect your hearing.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stay in school, get a degree, work with your mind not your muscle.

ya so you can spend 150k+ on a degree that earns you 20phr flipping burgers in ft mac.
a degree is friggen useless trades is were the money is at. if your good and know youer chit can organize some sort of circle jerk in a couple years of being ticketed you wont need to get dirty anymore and will have grunts to do the hard work. just sayin.
and earning 100k+ with your 4000 dollar trade ticket.:d

mountainbigbull

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He asked for everyone's thoughts on it, sorry you are to close minded to look at another individuals perspective.

Whats your email address I want to send you a newer piece of construction equipment's electrical schematic. You might rethink that comment on the brains parts anyway...

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been in the trade for about 11 years now. Not sure where guys are getting the 100,000 with no overtime in the city from. The would make it 48 bucks an hour. I have not heard of anyone making that on straight time here. Good on them if they are. Most dealerships are around 30-40 hr. It isnt a bad trade. I dont mind it. Can be hard on the body. To buy tools you are looking at a big investment. Shop wisely at the start and you will be fine. Take every bit of training you can, even if it is unpaid and it will help you big time.

SLAYERMIKE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow good post how are you getting into it? I'm actually going to SAIT in the fall for diesel equipment tech myself! it's good to hear positive feedback!!

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a hard living on the body, it does cost alot to get into the trade. Likely spend the most of any trades person & dont really get to write off tools. Yes in rescent times gov't has allowed some. I did automotive first, got that ticket. Then took 2 yrs of hd & got that ticket. Going on 18yrs, it sure took its sweet time in getting a real wage out of this trade. Lloydminster area, most good techs are over $40+ a hr. Nothing wrong with having it as a fall back ticket incase after 4 yrs had enough & want to do something else then come back to it. Another thing, are you planning to do it for awhile or a short time frame job? Cause I also think no point waisting $ twice on tools. I was asked this ? when I was 17 by a veteran of the trade. For the long haul, he said, buy good tools then. So I did, to this day I have 99% of the tools I got back then. Today I see young kids buying junk from P/A to make a living with. Not going to happen, yes I also buy some p/a tools for home. Its funny they all balk @ the prices of good tools, but sure love to use them. I worked in Ft Mac, syncrude, liebherr, its a different place to say the least.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good friend of mine just got into the trade. so far he is loving it. the well servicing company he works for is paying for all of his schooling, all of his books, his wage while in school. started at 60,000 a year. i imagine the 3rd years are just under 80. he also has the ability to work as much OT as he wants. mind you he had been at the company for 3 years prior so i imagine a new hire would be in the 50 range. this is in edmonton. 10 hour days, 6 on 6 off.

he loves it at the moment, but hasnt been at it long. time will tell. i also forgot to mention they paid for ALL the tools. but they are not his. just setup his workstation top notch.

wicked shift gets every second weekend off. hes a bigger guy so the larger parts arent to much of an issue for him. but just remember everything from bolts to engines are 4-5x bigger and heavier than a car/truck part.

eoo

Reaction score
its a good trade to get into. i've been in it a long time. after you get your ticket you can always try something else. if it don't work out you always have your ticket to fall back on

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
My nephew started from scratch with Finning here in Grande Prairie. The only mechanical background he has is from farming. Finning paid for his education when he went to Fairview Colledge. Other than a union going on strike it's a good gig. My point here is do your homework and find out who will pay or help subsidize your education. Get in good with somebody for the long haul. It will pay off but it's a long road. Find what peaks your interest the most and what companies are out there that specialize in this. Obviously your not going to make a decent buck until your papered. When things were busy around here before the economic crash many mechanics were stolen from companies for big dollars. 40 + an hr...but it didn't last :( You burn bridges this way so remember the big picture. This is a life time career with many rewards that come later in life as long as you play your cards right. I'm not a mechanic, but I've been in the same trade for 26yrs. Trust me when I say good things don't happen over night :d

So good luck with your future and play it smart :beer:

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently I'm 22 and in my 4th year HET and I love my job. You'll have to be willing to do some bitch work and put up with bullchit (it's everywhere, doesnt matter where you work, some are worse than others) but it's a great career choice IMO. Depending on where your working you can make 80-100k a year plus benefits (in Edmonton, fort mac is way more). My suggestion to you is to stick to the offroad side of the trade and if you can, work for a dealer or large construction company. They usually have better pay and benefits. And you get to play with some cool equipment:D When you are signed up,make sure you go for the 4 year program and not just the three year. No sense in limiting yourself.

Another thing is tools, spend the money and buy quality tools. Your gonna be earning your living with them, don't skimp on them. Be prepared to spend a good chunk of cash on them.

School isnt that bad, apply yourself, do your work and you'll be fine. Dont let other guys lead you to believe that you won't use your brain in the trade. Wait until you get into third year school and start playing with hydraulics and figuring them out. It's pretty cool stuff and challenging. Being able to troubleshoot and diagnose problems correctly is what separates a good and bad tech. Also when an old timer or someone with experience has their mouth open, pay attention and listen.
Hope this helps!

Any more questions shoot me a pm!

rmk 800 144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm getting into the trade.

What is everyone's thoughts on it? I haven't been able to talk to many real mechanics.

What's your lifestyle and hours like? Do you make a comfortable living and feel secure in your job?

What's the best benifits and worst downfalls?

(PS. I don't mind traveling north to go work on site)

Sent from my killer Nexus S.

My dad started out as a Heavy duty mechanic he liked it I think. Lol there Are 2 or 3 guys on here that are heavy duty mechanics too. My dads hours where like 7 to 4. If you like getting some oil on the hands I say go for it, or the little brain solver to fix something.

Top Bottom