Heavy duty mechanic yes or no?

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm 33 and wanting to change my career at this time i'm lost in what i want to do has anyone changed their career how did it go? I'm really thinking that i should go to school and do heavy duty machanic training. I just want a year round job that pays well i'm sick of working in masonry for a company and not going anywhere all i know is that i need to get out of it soon. I've had a few thoughts of what i would like to do but i think this maybe the way to go, there seems to be a call for this trade. I understand it will not happen overnight but is it a good trade to get into even though i dont do machanics for a job i find it intresting. The other day i helped do an oil and filter change, hydraulic oil top up, filter, drive gear oil top up and a fuel filter on an excavtor it was a good change from what i normally do not a big job but enjoyed doing it.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm 33 and wanting to change my career at this time i'm lost in what i want to do has anyone changed their career how did it go? I'm really thinking that i should go to school and do heavy duty machanic training. I just want a year round job that pays well i'm sick of working in masonry for a company and not going anywhere all i know is that i need to get out of it soon. I've had a few thoughts of what i would like to do but i think this maybe the way to go, there seems to be a call for this trade. I understand it will not happen overnight but is it a good trade to get into even though i dont do machanics for a job i find it intresting. The other day i helped do an oil and filter change, hydraulic oil top up, filter, drive gear oil top up and a fuel filter on an excavtor it was a good change from what i normally do not a big job but enjoyed doing it.

Go for Millwright, twice the pay and half the work.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You can't go wrong getting a trade no matter which one it is. Wish I had done it myself when I was young and smart. Well young anyway.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had considered it, have two friends in the trade and wouldn't even think of it anymore though. I actually did some concrete work at one buddys shop so got to see them at work first hand, no thanks. He spends half his day sometimes on the phone/computer dealing with warranty and just some kind of BS. It's only getting worse with the emissions on trucks to.

Plus you think auto customers are bad, try guys whos living is down. The screaming matches that happen is huge. 90% of the time nothing to do with the mechanic, but ch!t runs downhill and when the foreman gets chewed out from customer it makes it's way to the mechanic. My buddy has worked at 2 shops and they were no different. Not every shop works on other peoples stuff, but that is a pretty big majority. The other friend runs a service truck in fort mac pretty much changing oil and fixing hoses all day. Not fun....

Plus a big turnoff for me was lack of pride in work. Short cuts, not giving a ch!t, etc. Yes some mechanics are good but 90% ATLEAST shops mindset is who gives a ch!t. One truck got 5 mins out onto the highway and burned up a wheel barring because they forgot to put oil in it. Just a bunch of babies blaming each other.

I'm still trying to decide what I want to do, and it's tough but HD mechanic isn't even being considered for me anyways from what i've seen.

Last edited:

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had been accepted into NAITs automotive mechanic program about ten years ago while working at Can Tire in the service dept. I ended up dropping it before starting as I went to a career counsellor.

I cant remember which place it was, but I think it was McBride Career group in Edmonton.

The dont tell you what you should do for a career, but help you explore your interests and directions to explore. It was maybe 8 weeks long of one night a week.

I explored and found that with my mechanical ability, desire to have a changing pace, and wanting to continually learn that emergency services was a route to explore. I talked with my father who used to be a volunteer firefighter, and than set up an appointment to talk to some of the guys at the local fire/ambulance station. I ended up signing up for my EMT and a few months later enrolled in Firefighter training. I have now been in Emergency Services for almost ten years and enjoy every minute of it.

Im glad I never went into the mechanic field, I couldnt stand being covered in oil and grease everyday.

Last edited:

fhe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If that's what you think you would like, go for it! You'll get lots of opinions, good and bad, but it's all in what you would like. Once you have a trade, no one can take it from you. You can branch off as well. My son started off his career as a welder, but decided to change to HD mechanic and loves it. He now has both, but prefers HD over welding and is never without work. The opportunity to become an area service rep or service advisor is there as well. I say, go for it. Good luck in what ever you do!

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
My son has just signed up with a heavy duty repair shop in edmonton, and will start his apprenticeship....... He's finishing his grade 12 and only has 1/2 day classes this semester, so he's working from about 1 til roughly 8pm every weekday now..... Any trade is good to get into these days.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd try and get into oil/gas side of things regardless of which trade you persue.
I wouldn't want to work at Bob's Garbage Truck Service anymore than I would want to work at an amusement park.

• Recommends
Reactions: RXN

Grinny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I started an HD apprenticeship when I was 19. I was working for a small oilfield company based out of the west end and for the most part the job was great. They wound up sending me to Brooks to fill in for a swamper on a picker. I was only supposed to be gone for 5 days, but that turned into 2 weeks and I missed the registration day for school as a result of that. To make matters worse we weren't moving rigs everyday and not getting paid for down time, so I was running out of money and pretty pissed off. I ended up spending my last 60 bux on a bus ride home and quit as a result. I really wish that I had just stuck with it and sucked it up, but being 19 and stupid I opted to go back to playing music. Not the best choice, but I've now had the opportunity to tour all over the world and get paid for it...but not even close to the same money I would have made as an HD mechanic. Now I'm in the same boat with a career change staring me in the face and a family to support. I'm considering getting back into HD mechanics, but having a hard time finding a company to take me on as a 31 year old 1st year apprentice. A resume with 11 years of managing a music store and playing in a punk band doesn't exactly scream tradesman...

gm3d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have both HD and Millwright. Lots of money in either, if yo look for it. To get the dime, you do the time. I would be hard pressed to every go back to HD. Millwright is the correct place for me. When you work for a big oil company, you have less stress that dealing with customers. Really, in Alberta, any trade is a good thing. I push crews and do teck work for the MWL trade now. Great place to be!

gm3d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have both HD and Millwright. Lots of money in either, if yo look for it. To get the dime, you do the time. I would be hard pressed to every go back to HD. Millwright is the correct place for me. When you work for a big oil company, you have less stress that dealing with customers. Really, in Alberta, any trade is a good thing. I push crews and do teck work for the MWL trade now. Great place to be!

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took N.A.I.T's Pre Trades course, after high school. Ended up going Millwright, spent the first 8years working in gas plants. Worked along side Heavyduty guys. Pay was good. Work was good. Some of their stories about cat repairs in mud holes and Thr bush repairs was enough to make me happy I didn't go heavy-duty.

Top Bottom