Heavy duty mechanic yes or no?

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most good outfits have a machinist on staff, they do regular mech work most of the time but when it comes time for anything alignment or blueprinting new aditions, ie mod a cooling system, mod the compressor, the machinist does that as the mechs are swinging heads and setting up the top end. Then after he has the math we talk about horsepower and fueling issues if any. Machinists are key in a smooth operation.

I'm sorry blu but I have to ask. Have you actually worked in gas compression/petrochemical service?

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mac Tools offers, (or at least did when I was apprenticing), 50% off most of their tools. So I got most my tools that way. Get an order form from the dealer, get your N.A.I.T. instructor to sign it, and order away.

One benefit of Heavy Duty is tools are a Tax write off. (Think Millwrights can now write off up to a certain amount, couldn't do that when I apprenticed). Also heavy duty can do vehicle inspections. Millwrights can't.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most good outfits have a machinist on staff, they do regular mech work most of the time but when it comes time for anything alignment or blueprinting new aditions, ie mod a cooling system, mod the compressor, the machinist does that as the mechs are swinging heads and setting up the top end. Then after he has the math we talk about horsepower and fueling issues if any. Machinists are key in a smooth operation.

Everyplace I've been engineers did all the figuring, machinist machine the parts, welders, fitters and millwrights assemble the parts.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry blu but I have to ask. Have you actually worked in gas compression/petrochemical service?
Yes i have and am, and i have to ask you..... are an operator? Or a Company man? You sound like both..........

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyplace I've been engineers did all the figuring, machinist machine the parts, welders, fitters and millwrights assemble the parts.

LOL ya everything works the first time and engineers are there to solve problems!!!

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, I work for one of the larger OEM's in the rotating equipment game, manufacture everything from recips to turbo-expanders.
I'm a HD and agree with some of what you say but some of it not so much.

Dynamic

Reaction score
I can assure you that you will not be overhauling any turbines or compressors, you will be ASSISTING a mechanic or machinist in the overhauls!! You will not be aligning anything but ASSISTING a machinist in this procedure, even mechanics have to lean on the machinist on some stuff!! Its a game of accountability and liability and a millwright just isn't qualified, does not mean you aren't capable.

Haha I'm pretty sure we cover all of what you said we don't do in school.

gm3d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find it very interesting that someone knows what I do or will be doing at my place of work??? HMMM? Anyway... who cares what ticket you have or what trade does what. Long story short... If you like what you do, great. If you don't like the person that started this thread, find a new place to hang the blues and be a happier person. Hpoe you find something that is good for you and makes you happy. Good luck in your hunt!

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong! I never thought if was fair! I worked for Deeremart in red deer while I was doing my 4th class power engineering night classes. Hd mechs make $ 30 to $45/ hour 4th class power engineers make the same or maybe a little more. But I don't have the $35 to $60000 box of rapid depreciating tool box collecting dust and grease! Rig welders have a lot invested in their trucks / tools but aleast the get a better rate for it! Why don't mechanics? I always thought it was not fair. Great trade IMO but ripped off in some cases. I've heard that some stealerships cut the mechanics rate when doing warranty work??? Wtf is up with that chit? IMO warranty is on the backs of the mechanics not the product! It's crap if you ask me!

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong! I never thought if was fair! I worked for Deeremart in red deer while I was doing my 4th class power engineering night classes. Hd mechs make $ 30 to $45/ hour 4th class power engineers make the same or maybe a little more. But I don't have the $35 to $60000 box of rapid depreciating tool box collecting dust and grease! Rig welders have a lot invested in their trucks / tools but aleast the get a better rate for it! Why don't mechanics? I always thought it was not fair. Great trade IMO but ripped off in some cases. I've heard that some stealerships cut the mechanics rate when doing warranty work??? Wtf is up with that chit? IMO warranty is on the backs of the mechanics not the product! It's crap if you ask me!

It does kinda sting, I haven't added up how much I've spent in tools (not sure if I want to lol) but I'm sure it's upwards of 40k. Thing is there are lots of contractor mechanics running their own truck and billing out anywhere from $110-$130/hr, depending on where you go. I know finning just upped their labour rate to around $200/hr in fort Mac. Pretty easy to see why contractors are so popular up here. The trucks are expensive to buy, $120k-$150k depending on the setup. But if you're smart you can have the truck paid for in a couple of years.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The thread is about HD mechanics and the millwrights got involved. HD is a great trade it is hard on your body but pays well, the trade isnt going anywhere there will always be a dozer with final drive issues! The world cant turn without millwrights, they are handy period, i have employed a few and they have been the highest payed, well rounded helpers ever and i will continue to hire them. As a millwright you wont get payed as well as, for me, my liability insurance wont cover me to send a millwright to do a service and valve set on a Compressor engine. I carry 10 million in insurance for the dreaded oops, and have never used it.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The company I work for currently is large enough it's mostly self-insured. I think it's something like the first 25 or so million we'll pay out of pocket. Many of the big players use us simply because they get better rates on their insurance if they use the OEM
I'd be happy to check with any of the dozens of small guys I know to see who they are using for insurance though. I know for a fact they don't have anything written in the rider as silly as saying a MW can't run the valves on an engine. Heck, several of the fairly succesful guys who got "big" were auto mechanics or MW to begin with.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The company I work for currently is large enough it's mostly self-insured. I think it's something like the first 25 or so million we'll pay out of pocket. Many of the big players use us simply because they get better rates on their insurance if they use the OEM
I'd be happy to check with any of the dozens of small guys I know to see who they are using for insurance though. I know for a fact they don't have anything written in the rider as silly as saying a MW can't run the valves on an engine. Heck, several of the fairly succesful guys who got "big" were auto mechanics or MW to begin with.

I would appreciate that for sure!! I had to have my license on the table to even apply for insurance, and all journeymen i have hired their license goes to the insurance company. The licensee can be any mechanical or machinist.

Top Bottom