Have some questions-Nytro Turbo Just Picked Up

2blue

Reaction score
I recently bought 2010 Nytro Turbo 2000kms

I know nothing about turbo sleds...lol....Nothing!

The father selling the sled didn't know whether it used AV fuel etc.

The son passed away.

It has MCX 270 with liquid boost gauge?

My first question is fuel.....how do I find out which fuel it takes???
2nd question can I control boost?

I don't see any kind of electronics to control anything

Any help is better then no help!!! Thanks guys!

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can raise and lower boost by adjusting the rod on the wastegate on the turbo located under the seat. I'd run it and see where it is for boost and rpm. Rpm should be 8600-9000. Boost should be 14ish around home (if it's edmonton area) 17-18 in the mountains. Can run premium to around 14lbs at low elevation. Up to 18lbs in the mountains. I would splash it with a bit of race to be sure if it was me

turboetech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had many nytro turboed sleds the mcx 270 kit is fixed boost at 16-17 lbs boost runs premium fuel.... Period ... No rod adjustments to be made...you can install a needle valve to increase boost tho... And above 16/17 lbs you will need av gas or race gas... Take it in the deep snow and pin it the boost should be 16 lbs on the 270 kit.... Call Darren at e and s in Fort sask he knows his stuff and if he is in a good mood will tell you the same over the phone good luck I always ran my 270 1/2 and 1/2 av gas/premium they work well at 8600rpm

Last edited:

2blue

Reaction score
Alright thanks guys,

I was worried about elevation differences, Calgary 3500feet then revelstoke xxxx feet....

I guess it doesn't hurt to put the highest octane in with a shot of av gas? Even if it doesn't call for it.....

Maybe I'm wrong. Either way if its better on the machine to do so then how much is some lol.

Last edited:

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had 3. Get the turbo smart boost controller. It's cheap. After a few cold days without thawing your sled you boost sensor can freeze. Leaving you up top at 10 lbs or less. Or worse stuck on 17 down low.

Fuel A gallon or so of 111 race per tank and giver. I rode mine boon docking around 14 and climbing or stupid deep days 17. It's has a head shim and will be fine on shell or Hughes premium. Ethanol free.

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice sled, you will love it. When you have time check out all the tubes and hoses to get familiar. If any come apart you will have no boost. Premium should be fine but you could mix race in, do NOT use th 94 that some sell as it is usually laced with ethanol.

Neil at Boost it near Ponoka has become my go to guy for service or advice.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi 2Blue! Welcome to the turbo world... its addicting! As mentioned above Neil McLaren at Boost-it and his son TJ are fantastic. In Calgary I use Ryan at RhynoTune (403-607-1044) who is VERY good and thorough. In Revy the guru for all things Yamaha and Turbo is Ron McDougall and his son Laird at Powerhouse Customs. Over the years they have all helped out from install and set up, to the odd trouble shooting and of course maintenance. Good luck and enjoy!

2blue

Reaction score
Alright guys thanks for all the advice. I was wondering though, I keep reading about higher octane the better, but with no lead or ethanol?

The highest octane available is chevron gas stations I believe 94 (which is in BC)

Where can I buy 110ll in Calgary??? I just called spring bank but they told me nope.

I'm guessing I should take it into a shop tell me what this machine capabilities are.

I'm heading to revelstoke on Friday

Last edited:

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I suggest staying away from ethanol and gaining with a good premium 91 octane that is ethanol free from a name brand busy gas station. I use Shell V-power and have had good luck mixing it about 25% of C111. Call VP Racing fuels to get some. If you do use avgas beware of lead build up on valves over time.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright guys thanks for all the advice. I was wondering though, I keep reading about higher octane the better, but with no lead or ethanol?

The highest octane available is chevron gas stations I believe 94 (which is in BC)

Where can I buy 110ll in Calgary??? I just called spring bank but they told me nope.

I'm guessing I should take it into a shop tell me what this machine capabilities are.

I'm heading to revelstoke on Friday

Could always go to the Springbank flying club with your jerry cans. Park at the fence and walk in 100 yards onto the Tarmac with your jerry cans. Takes credit card.

If too rushed the sled dealerships have 111 race gas in 19L containers (Cycle works for sure).

2blue

Reaction score
Well like you guys said if I don't need the race fuel or aviation fuel that I don't need it I was just kind of concerned if the machine is set at X amount of boost and that is not any elevation then that would cause an issue

Bigblack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran Shell 91 with a shot of Torco Accelerator or 75% Shell 91 and 25% AV gas LL100. Yes the MCX 270 kit is *supposed* to be safe with pump gas, but it's borderline, so for the effort of raising the octane up a tad just to be safe, it's worth it. As mentioned in this thread several times, just about all the 94 octane premium at the pumps will have ethanol in it....don't run this.

Woodsie1984

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Isn't chevron 94 ethanol free ? Pretty sure I read that last time I was there, but maybe I'm wrong

2blue

Reaction score
Alright thanks a lot for the info I would sink 94 shall would be better than 91 but what do i know...lol.... as first turning down or turning up boost which way does the road turn to turn up or viceversa

2blue

Reaction score
WOW WOW WOW Incredible I must say,

Got to Quartz creek at 8am it was -23c and Yamaha did NOT want to run, popping, burping, ran for 4 seconds then quit, killed the battery etc.

The only thing I didn't have was jumper cables, had to borrow some and jump it off my diesel truck which still took along time to get it running. (Fareheight) light stayed on for along time till it was warm) I probably need a new starter lol

Unload both sleds, pay trail fee and found a deep whole and pinned it, looks like boost is around, 13-15 pounds max, the machine somewhat would cough for a split second then boost would come on but could be completely wrong maybe that's just lag. Went to the cabin- found a mountain and aimed my sights on it, took the rmk up which was agile and what not, took the Yamaha and terrified myself on the power in a good way!

By the time we got to the cabin it was 4pm, didn't have much time, what a incredible experience terrifying for a newbie, with me and one person around but it was fun.

Only put in Shell 91 no other AV fuel and was fine, and heading home got $487 speeding ticket 10 mins outside Calgary err

Last edited:

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What usually made mine run rough was an exhaust leak or a boost leak. The exhaust leak would screw up sensors and the engine would barely run. Check out all the tubes in the shop and get familiar with where they may pop off. If you have a few miles on it make sure the charge tube where it exits the tunnel is not worn through. Have fun! I love these sleds.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom