Have a SOS F1ND Hows it Work?

fordevr

Reaction score
Bought a 2003 Summit from Shiftys buddy and the deal included a SOS. I have sat here for half hour and tried to separate the 2 parts...There aren't two parts are there? Close as I can figure is all your buddies wear the same thing and then you all can look for the guy under snow...I figured out how to turn it on an how you use it to ride and how you use it to search. AM I CLOSE?

SkiMod 800

Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
Get a new digital beacon!!!!!!!!!!!! The SOS beacon which you have is now obsolete and if you don't know how to use it its not even worth your time. A digital three antenna beacon is much more user friendly. I would also recommend taking an AST 1 avalanche course.

Warren

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought a 2003 Summit from Shiftys buddy and the deal included a SOS. I have sat here for half hour and tried to separate the 2 parts...There aren't two parts are there? Close as I can figure is all your buddies wear the same thing and then you all can look for the guy under snow...I figured out how to turn it on an how you use it to ride and how you use it to search. AM I CLOSE?

go to the sos website they have instructions on useing the beacon, no it is not obsolete, it does require a little more user input, but works just as well as any other beacon, just less bells and whistles. test it out, finding another hiden beacon, prqactice alot and it will be easy.
for all those that hype how fast the digitals are, in 2+ feet of powdery snow, mwe with my sos will be just as fast, multiple burials same so take your sales lingo somewhere else, the guy has the beacon and wants to learn how to use it, don' t be a smart ass, help the guy out.

have someone show you how to use, beacon and just practice with it, you can find other beacons 90+ m away while all the other digitals are still trying to aquire some sort of signal at 30 to 50 m if they are lucky, anyone want to try a range test to prove me wrong

Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What exactly are you trying to seperate?

cobbycat

Reaction score
I have the old sos beacon, and was thinking of upgrading it last year. I had the opportunity to try all of the new and old beacons at our avalanche course to find a burried beacon. I tried all of them and I was fastest to locate the burried beacon with my old sos analog! I was also shocked. even faster with multiple burrials. my 15 year old daughter used a newer digital beacon and was the fastest in the class at finding the burried beacon the first day she ever used one. the beacon that works for the next guy doesn't neccesarily work best for you.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the new digital beacons, are useless without practice, and a new user will have fits. and yes they do work well with a little bit of practice. i have a bca and a sos and still always fall back to the sos, simple, basic unit.

with any beacon practice before you need to use it, and ask ?'s before your buddy is buried.

caddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its true with any beacon that if you use it more you will use it better. I watched two instructors at an avy class both search for buried beacons, one with the Sos and one with a digital. Both were very fast but each person was comfortable with their beacon. They took the same amount of time to locate. And they told us the trick to being fast. PRACTICE.

Top Bottom