Hauling a bobcat

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just looking for a little knowledge on securing a bobcat for hauling. I dont move these things around alot so. Question would be for transporting one you must have a 4 chain tie down system and 1 chain for the attachment no? 1/4" chain or 3/8" chain? As far as strapping goes, dont think you can use this as it is deemed as a peice of equipment and is not considered light duty loads or a vechicle. Trailer is not a issues, just dont want ot be pulled over for having a dangerous load or something stupid.

We have a older model gas powered version with open cab we are trying to get out to the cabin, not sure how much it weighs.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We used to just use three chains (3/8"). Two on the rear and one through a loop on the front of the chassis it was a Thomas though. Never strapped down the bucket/arms. This was always for short moves in town though so DOT was never an issue. I would imagine your way is correct and this way was just what the boss wanted...

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
minimum of 4 tie downs, each rated working load limit must be no less than 5000lbs. the aggregate safe working limit of the tie downs must exceed the load by one half, so G70 3/8 chain would be acceptable. the machine must be restrained against movement in the lateral, forward, rearward, and vertical direction. this is what is required by law, that said....I have seen many going down the highway on tandem axle utility trailers with one chain through the rear loop and one over the bucket arms. most times the chains are loose and bouncing.....

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
minimum of 4 tie downs, each rated working load limit must be no less than 5000lbs. the aggregate safe working limit of the tie downs must exceed the load by one half, so G70 3/8 chain would be acceptable. the machine must be restrained against movement in the lateral, forward, rearward, and vertical direction. this is what is required by law, that said....I have seen many going down the highway on tandem axle utility trailers with one chain through the rear loop and one over the bucket arms. most times the chains are loose and bouncing.....

And one over the attachment is also required :)

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a good weld to hold the bucket etc to the metal trailer will be suffice, should be ready to role right past the D.O.T :cool::cool:

Last edited:

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i haul bobcats for a living one chain in the back across and one in the front across that all i use DOT stop me once in awhile and never says anything about it he goes and checks just make sure your bommer has a pin in it so it locks :)

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just looked at what we are hauling.... an old gas 610 bobcat. What does these weight?? like just under 4000lbs probably.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure about the straps but i would use chains and boomers straps on steel wear thru fast just saying

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really? LOL that's lighter than that heavy Chevy u got.So could a person use straps for something like this? Or because its equipment it needs to be chains

Far as I know it's not a weight issue, it's the type of equipment and chains are required for a skidsteer. The theory is because straps could be cut on equipment I believe. Another stupid law, if straps are used properly they are so much better.

As far as securing, suppose to be one on each corner, as far as attachment never seen it tied down unless it is something oddly shaped that needs to be, a bucket shouldn't need to be can't say i've ever seen one tied down unless it's the only securing point in the front. But yes most people don't follow it, even me. One in the back, one in front never been bothered or had a issue with it moving. Honestly do not see the point of 4, if you use 2 properly.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol....the OP asked what was required, and was properly informed. what he chooses to do with the information is his own deal. just remember how it looks in the eyes of the law when ch!t goes sideways and you did your due diligence and followed through. if you slam into someone, one chain will not stop 4000lbs when it is magnified by a factor of 20G's....

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol....the OP asked what was required, and was properly informed. what he chooses to do with the information is his own deal. just remember how it looks in the eyes of the law when ch!t goes sideways and you did your due diligence and followed through. if you slam into someone, one chain will not stop 4000lbs when it is magnified by a factor of 20G's....

Who said how heavy of chains? I have used the chains multiple times for pulling out the skidsteer, sometimes buried to the belly and it's a 7500lbs machine. If somehow those chains snapped in a accident, there wouldn't be anything left of anything else but my bet is the skidsteer point of attachment for the chain would break first.....They are like 25,000lb chains, nothing like the pathetic chains you see on some things.

Tell me how 2 12,500lb chains vs one 25,000lbs chain is better? It's not.....And I use 50,000lb boomers I believe, I ain't worried about the skidsteer moving in a accident......

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just tell them Cyle said 4 point isn't necessary if you use 2 properly...I'm sure everything will be fine then. LOL

Tell me smart one, how is two chains on back better then one? Both can be connected to one point on the machine, and in both cases will be on each side of the trailer. Both ways pull it down, and forward in the EXACT same way. Same goes for the front. As long as they are rated accordingly there is no issue.

Yes I know what the law states, but it states plenty of other BS, doesn't mean it's the only way to be safe. Common sense is the safest thing on the road. Been checked over PLENTY of times tied down that way and never an issue.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who said how heavy of chains? I have used the chains multiple times for pulling out the skidsteer, sometimes buried to the belly and it's a 7500lbs machine. If somehow those chains snapped in a accident, there wouldn't be anything left of anything else but my bet is the skidsteer point of attachment for the chain would break first.....They are like 25,000lb chains, nothing like the pathetic chains you see on some things.

Tell me how 2 12,500lb chains vs one 25,000lbs chain is better? It's not.....And I use 50,000lb boomers I believe, I ain't worried about the skidsteer moving in a accident......
please post a pic of your 25000 lb chains and 50000lb boomers. a Grade 70 3/8" transport chain is rated at 6600lbs SWL. a half inch chain is rated at 11,300lbs. a 5/8" chain is rated at 15,800lbs. where the fawk did you find a chain that is rated at 25,000lb SWL? they must weigh as much as your bobcat....

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
please post a pic of your 25000 lb chains and 50000lb boomers. a Grade 70 3/8" transport chain is rated at 6600lbs SWL. a half inch chain is rated at 11,300lbs. a 5/8" chain is rated at 15,800lbs. where the fawk did you find a chain that is rated at 25,000lb SWL? they must weigh as much as your bobcat....

Not talking SWL, talking about WL. They are either 5/8 or 3/4 chains. Largely overkill for a reason.

Top Bottom