HATEN Artic cat right now!

yamaha125cc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On monday i went out to go for a ride and then my 98 zr 500 was only running one cylinder. chit so the next day i pull out the carbs and clean them fix that problem. Then yesterday me and my friends went out for a ride and we were 2.2 miles in the bush and then boom. wtf Look for a flash light ( 10 at night) No flash light chit. So we turn one sled around for light and look the belt is fine. (it felt like the belt went) So it was running and ideling fine so i was thinging the chain case blew. But then i had no suspensssion. So I look under neight cant see annything to dark so i get pulled back out to the high way. My dad come loads the sled. Look under at the track and the drive saft has come out and gotten all twisted in side. f@#*
so that why i hate artic cat right now. Never looked at it droped in the garge and left it there for now.
Any idea what that going to cost. the side that is attached to the chain case is still attached just the left side has come out. So i geuss the bearing and everthing is shot.

This reminds me of angery ontrio snowmobiler. then my friends sled would start 2002 summit 800. Pull the plugs clean thmem still didnt start. did that a few times and finaly it started.
watch this video funnies thin ever
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y996njQGekg[/media]

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you have a 13 yr old sled with about a million miles on it and you are blaming arctic cat for a failed driveshaft bearing?

Give your head a shake.

Drink

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you have a 13 yr old sled with about a million miles on it and you are blaming arctic cat for a failed driveshaft bearing?

Give your head a shake.

From the sounds of it and after reading his story, I believe the sled is older than he is.

ned

Reaction score
How long has the speedo not been working? that is the first sign that the driveshaft bearing is going out on it. sounds like you drove it long enough for the shaft to wear through the bearing holder and that is why it fell back.

Snohog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont know much about arctic cat, but has the shaft ever been greased?

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How long has the speedo not been working? that is the first sign that the driveshaft bearing is going out on it. sounds like you drove it long enough for the shaft to wear through the bearing holder and that is why it fell back.

I have a thread on here with pics when that happened to me on my old powder special. Speedo quit.. but I chose to ride it, hoping it was just my speedo cable, wrongo!! It was the driveshaft bearing....
Don't be hatin Cat....... or Cat bashing.... chit happens to all machines... if you don't like it, take up figure skating..........

Dusty from Snowmobilerecyclers here helped me out tremendously with some recycled sled parts as well as some new parts..

Toe Pick!!!

yamaha125cc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i replaced the bearing 250 miles ago and the speedo quit 50 miles ago. Also the sled only has 2100 miles. i am not blaming artic cat its i replace it not to long ago. why did it break again.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tough luck there bud. If you replaced the bearing that short of a time ago I guess it's just bad luck.

yamaha125cc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
KK well ididnt mean its artic cat fault should of re-worded that. and yes it all sleds my friedns skido wouldnt start on the same trip and on the way back a nocking has started i know its all sleds.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Funny i was thinking the same, when i was reading this,lack of power ,no speedo and vibrations grinding noise all pretty normal i guess.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i replaced the bearing 250 miles ago and the speedo quit 50 miles ago. Also the sled only has 2100 miles. i am not blaming artic cat its i replace it not to long ago. why did it break again.

You replaced both sides?Also after a few miles did you double check everything to make sure nothing loosened off?It had to be making some noise before it got to the point of the shaft backing out!When the bearing went the first time the drive shaft was in good condition?Make sure your chaincase wasn't damaged.If the shaft backed out it might be damaged enough to not keep a seal in and you'll cook it in no time.If your worried about cost alot of wreckers should have a chaincase and drivers but I would spend extra on good bearings and good grease!Good luck!

yamaha125cc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You replaced both sides?Also after a few miles did you double check everything to make sure nothing loosened off?It had to be making some noise before it got to the point of the shaft backing out!When the bearing went the first time the drive shaft was in good condition?Make sure your chaincase wasn't damaged.If the shaft backed out it might be damaged enough to not keep a seal in and you'll cook it in no time.If your worried about cost alot of wreckers should have a chaincase and drivers but I would spend extra on good bearings and good grease!Good luck!

No i did not go back and check and yes this was the same side that i changed. going to take it all alpart tomorrow and see what happened

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 92 wild cat did the same thing few years back just before I was taken to alberta beach races .Then its race to find parts still manage to make to races

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah i got the same sled 91 wild cat and the speedo quit so i probably should check that to.

I went back and found my thread here from 3 years ago. The pics are gone, I think my photobucket crashed, but some wonderful advice from smart peeps. Ric and Pipes talked me through sooooooooooooooooooooooo much of my stuff, as did Dusty from Snowmobile recyclers. I chose to do all of my bearings, but I repacked some of them. I had to get a new driveshaft as my was hoopled, but I got a recycled chaincase. the biggest crapper was at the end when I went to put my chaincase back together I kept getting a slow leak. Cleaned it right up, and thanks to Ric, was able to get back in the snow in less than a week. It really makes a huge difference when you scope out recycled parts, and while it is apart do other maintenance. I did my hyfax, wheels, checked out every nook and cranny, and basically got to know my sled. I'm not super duper mechanical, but I really enjoy getting greasy and fixing things. If you have a problem, post it up. That's what I did, and multiple members here trouble shooted for me, even pmd me step by step instructions so I could get back riding.

Top Bottom