has a little problem

steven2120

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so i was doing an oil change on my 500 XT today when i accidentaly stripped my oil plug, so needless to say it now leaks oil...So im just woundering what the best way to fix this would be. I heard a larger self tapping oil plug or even a heli coil kit would work. Would appreciate some help with this problem

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Ok so i was doing an oil change on my 500 XT today when i accidentaly stripped my oil plug, so needless to say it now leaks oil...So im just woundering what the best way to fix this would be. I heard a larger self tapping oil plug or even a heli coil kit would work. Would appreciate some help with this problem

is it the threads on the plug that are stripped or threads in the belly pan?

Best perminent fix would be re-thread & new plug (oversized if needed) and clean up/re-thread the belly pan.
If you can clean up the threads and get it to start try using thread tape to seal the leak....

steven2120

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im not sure yet if it was the pan or the plug...wont know till tomorrow when i take it out again...wind picked up too much to do anything else with it

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have fixed stripped threads by using thread tape and a copper washer, you can also get the washers with an o'ring built on the inside.

Not sure what your style is.

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check out your nearest Napa store. They ussually have oversized oil pan plugs.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the heli coil kit would work the best, but if there is a oil pan that is the eventual route I would take. I am not a poo poo quad rider. [Honda]

steven2120

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah i was thinking the heli kit as well...just wanted to get some other peoples opinions, maybe there was an easier way, but wont know till tomorrow when i take the plug out

Top Bottom