Hard to pull

Dirt Car 20

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a 1996 Summit 500 that my kids ride, It is so hard to pull over it is not even funny. I have a 96 Summit 670 with high compresson and a 2003 Summit 800 and there not even close to how hard it is to pull over that little 500. Does anyone know if there is something wrong here or know of a different recoil for this application. When it does start, it runs great.

koko3052

Reaction score
Sounds like somthing bunged-up in the recoil, maybe an old piece of rope. I'd take it apart and clean and lube it for starters.

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 95 670 summit that was the same. I checked into it and the dealer said that the recoil was smaller, making it harder to pull over. The newer machines have larger recoils for easier pulls. A good thing about it being harder to pull over it makes it seem like there is alot of compression when you go to sell it,lol.

Dirt Car 20

Reaction score
That makes senese 4extreme. My 96 670 has a larger looking recoil and is held on by a band clamp and not bolts like the 500. I wonder if there is any way I could change it up to the larger one.
thanks

over sixfoot

Reaction score
Re: Hard to pull fix

i have a formula stx 583 and it to was a bugger,to yank, what i did is take it off and really clean the guts pawl,spring,rope housing,etc then buy a new rope and wind it till its at the top of the plastic spool,oh by the way clean every piece with lp4 spray(CDN tire) then re and re the whole mess make sur you have tension on the spring so the rope is pulled back on the handle stop,then you are good to go...cheers Leo pm me if you want

Top Bottom