Hanging a Small Trailer off an Enclosed

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't be the first guy who has tried to get this to work?

I have a 4 place enclosed, and a deck on my truck for spring riding. A friend has offerred me a great deal - he'll do a swap for his Suburban and $ for the truck (2003 Crewcab Duramax). The Suburban only has a 6.0 - but I am going to leave it in Vernon with the enclosed trailer anyway - so I am not worried about losing the pulling power. The Suburban would come in real handy hauling three kids and the dog around at Vernon - a little tight in the Crewcab. Not to mention the gasser starting easier in the winter.

Bigger question is losing the deck. In the spring we can load two on the deck and two on a little two place for getting around up the logging roads at Sicamous and Hunters. This ain't gonna happen with a Burban. So I was thinking - is there any way I could hang a little aluminum two place off my enclosed trailer? That way - I could park the enclosed at the bottom and shuttle up sled on the two place. It wouldn't even have to have big wheels to do it - even those 10" would work for just driving up a logging road from the parking lot to the snow.

And don't tell me just to drive the enclosed up. I have been pissed off more than enough times over some guy who thinks he can get his enclosed trailer up one of those roads, and ends up jackknifed half way up! I don't want Dare Ya beatin the stuffing out of me over something like that!

I was thinking of some sort of brackets on the side - and then a winch on the roof to pull it up on. I don't think it would matter that the tongue was sticking way up over the roof. You could even fabricate a folding tongue for the two place - that way everything would only stick out about 2 feet off the side.

The other thought was getting a trailer that I could remove the rear door to make a trailer - but kind of defeats the purpose of an enclosed.

Any other thoughts?

Hillclimber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
room rack with a boat loader type of winch on the room of your enclosed my :twocents:

I can't be the first guy who has tried to get this to work?

I have a 4 place enclosed, and a deck on my truck for spring riding. A friend has offerred me a great deal - he'll do a swap for his Suburban and $ for the truck (2003 Crewcab Duramax). The Suburban only has a 6.0 - but I am going to leave it in Vernon with the enclosed trailer anyway - so I am not worried about losing the pulling power. The Suburban would come in real handy hauling three kids and the dog around at Vernon - a little tight in the Crewcab. Not to mention the gasser starting easier in the winter.

Bigger question is losing the deck. In the spring we can load two on the deck and two on a little two place for getting around up the logging roads at Sicamous and Hunters. This ain't gonna happen with a Burban. So I was thinking - is there any way I could hang a little aluminum two place off my enclosed trailer? That way - I could park the enclosed at the bottom and shuttle up sled on the two place. It wouldn't even have to have big wheels to do it - even those 10" would work for just driving up a logging road from the parking lot to the snow.

And don't tell me just to drive the enclosed up. I have been pissed off more than enough times over some guy who thinks he can get his enclosed trailer up one of those roads, and ends up jackknifed half way up! I don't want Dare Ya beatin the stuffing out of me over something like that!

I was thinking of some sort of brackets on the side - and then a winch on the roof to pull it up on. I don't think it would matter that the tongue was sticking way up over the roof. You could even fabricate a folding tongue for the two place - that way everything would only stick out about 2 feet off the side.

The other thought was getting a trailer that I could remove the rear door to make a trailer - but kind of defeats the purpose of an enclosed.

Any other thoughts?

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a welder put a hitch on the back of the trailer...that way you can haul it up the hill and then unhook. when you are coming down hook onto the back and take it down. Once you are at the bottom get hooked up the proper way.:beer:

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your best bet would be to mount some brackets off of the back door.....that's where the most metal on mine is anyways(above the frame), and mount the little trailer on the back for the spring rides, i don't think that there is enough room to hang it in the inside. not too much head room only 6'1 in mine. It would be easy with a welder and some redneck engineering.

Good luck.

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a welder put a hitch on the back of the trailer...that way you can haul it up the hill and then unhook. when you are coming down hook onto the back and take it down. Once you are at the bottom get hooked up the proper way.:beer:

That would work in Sask, but not in alberta well unless it is a 5th wheel lead trailer.In BC you can't have tandem trailing at all 5th wheel or bumper pull.

Cumminsnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know how big your enclosed is but I was wondering if you only want this trailer for hauling two sleds on logging roads then how about building a small trailer that the axle would come off farly easily. Make the trailer narrow enough to lay on the floor of your enclosed and drive your sleds on top and put the axle between them.

As stated above you can not pull two bumper pulls in bc or alberta

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That would work in Sask, but not in alberta well unless it is a 5th wheel lead trailer.In BC you can't have tandem trailing at all 5th wheel or bumper pull.
I was only joking about that...because he said he seen trucks and trailers jack-knifed on the trails.

Top Bottom