Handle bar heating element. Reusable?

Doo2015

Reaction score
I bent the bars on my 2015 summit x. I'm just wondering what I need to order to replace them. To my understanding there is a grip, an insulator and then the stick on heating element. I was told the only thing I'd need to replace is the insulator because it gets wrecked to remove it. Can I use the heating element again or is it toast too? Thanks.

Doo2015

Reaction score
So a heat gun and slowly peel them off? Will they stick onto new bars fine if I do it right away?

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heat gun, keep them clean and you should be good to go, I did it last year when I replaced my bars. Don't just heat up the cork, heat the bar also and it will help loosen the glue from the aluminum. Also blowing air into the bar will help remove the grips

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
some good advice here. the glass shop had a can of aerosol spray glue made by 3M they use for attaching the heating element to the back of heated mirrors, I scooped a can of that for reusing bar heater elements. the air method for removing/installing grips is the best for making sure you don't wreck the elements. works slick

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pay attention to how they are on. Use air to get grips off and heat gun to slowly peel off. Make sure to sparingly tape and tape bar end so can put grip on again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lgallant

Reaction score
Just did mine on my summit. Like the other guys said use a heat gun just to the point where you can peel. I left my elements on the cork and peeled everything together. Most of the adhesive stays on the cork so they will stick on the new bars. Tape the ends and any pieces that might be lifted a bit. Some guys put stuff inside the grip when installing but with air you don't really need to as they won't move. Good luck.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just did mine on my summit. Like the other guys said use a heat gun just to the point where you can peel. I left my elements on the cork and peeled everything together. Most of the adhesive stays on the cork so they will stick on the new bars. Tape the ends and any pieces that might be lifted a bit. Some guys put stuff inside the grip when installing but with air you don't really need to as they won't move. Good luck.

X2... I've done it twice on my T3 now :doh: count the wraps of tape and note how they seal the ends of the bars so the air/grip trick works, possibly take a pic while disassembling. ...take all controls off bars and aim heat gun a couple inches away from the corks and heaters (do not apply direct heat...and wait for the heat to soak into the aluminum, then gently peel them back and reinstall on new bars immediately. Not being able to get the wires free of the bars presents a challenge but you get used to it after a couple goes. Cheers.
6ddf002796477f6fa2c963b52c19952e.jpg

Top Bottom