Handheld GPS Units

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you buy your rino out of the states you can get the American version with a radio that transmits with 5 watts instead of the Canadian 2(or 3) watt max

RockyMtn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you buy your rino out of the states you can get the American version with a radio that transmits with 5 watts instead of the Canadian 2(or 3) watt max

Yes you want to get the US model, very important, as you will double your transmission range, which might save your hiney someday!!!!

Ordered 8 of these units, all from different ebay stores. Had them within 6 business days from most of the outlets. Pick the stores with 98% rating or higher & over 15000 sales. Safe bet for sure. Canadian buyers obviously will pay exchange rates, what do you do! 5 watt radio worth it!!!! I bought with Cdn dollar higher than US, so saved a bit!

Rino is compatible with OilTrax lease locator for you oilfield guys who could possibly right the unit off for business use!..;) Just need a micro SD card installed. I see Canadian Tire now carries OilTrax.

CHEERS!!!!
:cool::beer::beer::cool:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
A compass is nice but with the loaded topo maps and the GPS set for North at the top of the screen (where it should be) what's the big deal??

I don't use or haven't had to use the compass in 5 years of using a GPS.

Just my $0.02.....

RockyMtn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, your right in a way. Most GPS's location arrow will rotate in all different directions when not moving. Not a big deal if you get off your atv and walk to get true direction heading, when needed. But the RINO will auto switch to compass when under a set speed and aid you into pointing you in the right direction without the need to walk around to get your heading. Just food for thought. I normally use the sun if it's out, moss on tress, chit like that. But a socked in day, sometimes it's nice to know where "north" is, without leaving your atv's side!...;)

But compass is not a must, when you see where your trail came from and which way your pointing, in relation to it! Right?

CHEERS!!!!
:cool::beer::beer::cool:

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A little note,You can buy the 5 watt american version locally on the south side and if you go with garmin 530 which I would highly recomend buy the cx without the electonic compass as we were told at the course by the instructor that the electronic compass drains your battery a lot faster than the one with out.
I really like mine!
catmando

Taz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While I was laying down on the ground after hitting a stump ya Polarisryder and Showtime were there seen it all. One member from Showtime's group had a GPS unit on his sled bars. I'm in the market to buy one, was out today looking at one, its made by Garmin and the model is Oregon 300. Now does anybody have any suggestions on GPS units that are tried tested and true. Does anybody have the Oregon and could add any likes or dislikes. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

We have a couple of Garmin EtrexVista's for sale they work great we have lots of tracks we have over laid on Google Earth. At the time we bought them they were $385 we are asking $150 and comes with Mapsource and pc patch cords. We are buying the Garmin Rino 530hcx so we can use the radio and proximity features as well as other things. I have used mine in Costa Rica, Nicaragua All over Mexico and the Arctic. If you want to spen $550 then buy the Rino.

Kenai

Reaction score
While I was laying down on the ground after hitting a stump ya Polarisryder and Showtime were there seen it all. One member from Showtime's group had a GPS unit on his sled bars. I'm in the market to buy one, was out today looking at one, its made by Garmin and the model is Oregon 300. Now does anybody have any suggestions on GPS units that are tried tested and true. Does anybody have the Oregon and could add any likes or dislikes. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I have the Magellan Explorist 600 with Red Pine Mapping, GPS Maps and Accessories snowmobile trail maps loaded to it. I have used this gps for hiking, geocaching, and now snowmobiling. I also bought the handlebar mount for the sled. So far so good. Totally waterproof, color screen, and sd card for unlimited storage of trail maps.

Web Mobile

Reaction score
Labradorian

Picked up the Snow Bugee Battery at the Ed. Sled Show.
Check your local dealer or online.
The problem I have with lith batts is usually dead or don't have any xtra when they die.
If/when you mount GPS & SPoT together leave at least 1 ft. between for lack of interference.

Top Bottom