Handheld GPS Units

CATPRIDE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While I was laying down on the ground after hitting a stump ya Polarisryder and Showtime were there seen it all. One member from Showtime's group had a GPS unit on his sled bars. I'm in the market to buy one, was out today looking at one, its made by Garmin and the model is Oregon 300. Now does anybody have any suggestions on GPS units that are tried tested and true. Does anybody have the Oregon and could add any likes or dislikes. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a Oregon helmit camera and it is a cheap camera it works well.Google there Website as they sell quit a bit of electronic gadgets,didnt know they had gps units.
catmando!

Broner

Reaction score
GARMIN GPSMAP 60CSx is one of the better units on the market u can use it for just about anything. You should be able to pick it up now for around 400.00 or so. You can get mounts to fit all kinds of toys.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
While I was laying down on the ground after hitting a stump ya Polarisryder and Showtime were there seen it all. One member from Showtime's group had a GPS unit on his sled bars. I'm in the market to buy one, was out today looking at one, its made by Garmin and the model is Oregon 300. Now does anybody have any suggestions on GPS units that are tried tested and true. Does anybody have the Oregon and could add any likes or dislikes. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Rhino 530 and a 110 for the wife. I have topo maps loaded in the 530 for Revy, Golden, Kelowna, and all of the SE corner of BC up to 56MB.

We use them for the radio communication for ourselves and in larger groups they work with the Cobras as long as they are on the same channel. they work best with other Rhino units.

I carry the 530 in a heated riser bag and have never lost satellite communication. Used to carry my GPS (Etrex Vista) on a Ram mount but since the 530 works in the bag I like because there is a little more protection for them. I have the Lithium-ion battery pack and find that there is no problem going all day.

I find them invaluable in new places particularily when the weather gets bad because I have the 1:50,000 map at my finger tips with back lighting. Haven't been lost yet and I have been into some areas where it is very easy to ge turned around.

There was a good thread earlier in the year but maybe it was on DooTalk. Do your research and pick what you think will be best for your situation. Good luck....

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rhino all the way. It doesn't only help you but it will help the rest of your group if they are carrying rhino's too. It will track all other riders in your group. Top notch gps/two way radio

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Garmin GPSmap 76CSx. Have very good luck with this usnit. Quick to aquire satelites easy to use. color map display. Easily interfaces with PC Good all around handheld. Little large but not cumbersome

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
rhino all the way. It doesn't only help you but it will help the rest of your group if they are carrying rhino's too. It will track all other riders in your group. Top notch gps/two way radio

where to get them and whats the price for them?

HAHA bushwacker, man that was funny, and all your friends kept on going lol, made new friends though while you did it !!

Web Mobile

Reaction score
Using Garmin etrex HCx. Mounted GPS & Spot using RAM mounts from GPS City in Calgary. Very good mounting systems. Installed accessory plug & Snow Bungie battery to run GPS, so it stays on when sled is shut off. Yet to find a GPS that doesn't eat a set of batteries / day. Down loaded (5 -6 Hr, 3.03 Gb) Ibycus Topo 2.1 map, very good, shows topo, oil wells, cut lines, water ways, camps, etc. in color.

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Using Garmin etrex HCx. Mounted GPS & Spot using RAM mounts from GPS City in Calgary. Very good mounting systems. Installed accessory plug & Snow Bungie battery to run GPS, so it stays on when sled is shut off. Yet to find a GPS that doesn't eat a set of batteries / day. Down loaded (5 -6 Hr, 3.03 Gb) Ibycus Topo 2.1 map, very good, shows topo, oil wells, cut lines, water ways, camps, etc. in color.

Hey Web mobile

I have the same unit. Regarding the batteries..............I used Energizer Litium. I only use these batteries when Im using it on the sled as they work great in the cold. I road all last weekend(3 days) with the gps on with the one set of litiums.............and they are still good. They are a little pricy but i only use them in the cold.

Where can you get this snow bungie battery you mentioned?

Cheers

Glen

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
In Garmin there new one the Oregon, have you ever seen it, has touch screen.

Sorry man, I've never heard of it but saying that I've been totally happy with the Rhino so I haven't looked at the new ones.

GPS Central in Calgary is the best place for info, price and tech support. Map Source is the software package with the 1:50,000 maps in it. You can download any of the topo maps across Canada so if for example you want to go to the west coast you can delete some flatland maps and insert the ones you need and when you get back home vise-versa.

GPS Central 403-239-1400 and they are located sort of across the street from Shaw SMC. Cheers, fs

RockyMtn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RINO.....ALL THE WAY!!! Not only will you find your way out, but your broke down buddy with his RINO. Buy the US version as it supports the 5watt transmitter. Ebay!!!!!!

cles

Reaction score
I use a Garmin 60CS with 2500 mAh rechargeable batteries. If I start out the day with fully charged batteries (a spare set in the coat pocket) I never run out of power. Unless using the backlight at night....that really drains them. Charge them overnight and I'm good for the next day.

amunro

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just IMO I have had a few GPS the 60c works great the 60cx is much the same but it has a compass too so that when you are stopped it still knows what direction you are looking. BUT since I have been sledding I have found the RINO to be INVALUABLE. you can click the mic and everyone that has a rino can see you location on there map, helps when and if you get seperated. ALso the radios work Great. I dont have one yet but will be buying one soon
Just my 2 cents

RockyMtn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use a Garmin 60CS with 2500 mAh rechargeable batteries. If I start out the day with fully charged batteries (a spare set in the coat pocket) I never run out of power. Unless using the backlight at night....that really drains them. Charge them overnight and I'm good for the next day.

Important also! The RINO's battery system let me ride 3 full days on a charge, and was 1/4 full for the drive home. Impressive I must admit!!

CHEERS!!!!
:cool::beer::beer::cool:

RockyMtn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just IMO I have had a few GPS the 60c works great the 60cx is much the same but it has a compass too so that when you are stopped it still knows what direction you are looking. BUT since I have been sledding I have found the RINO to be INVALUABLE. you can click the mic and everyone that has a rino can see you location on there map, helps when and if you get seperated. ALso the radios work Great. I dont have one yet but will be buying one soon
Just my 2 cents

530 hcx also has compass. Handy when stopped in the trees. Hows the reception on the 60c? From inside my shop (metal),or basement at home, I can pull in,on avg. 8 or more satellites @ half signal.

amunro

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The 60 C are good with reception a little slow but good. There is a 2 rinos that have the compass in them as well one is a 130 and the other i dont know but it has a color screen. I say Rino all the way

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go with the Rino`s. They have a built in radio, one less thing to carry. I have the US 520 it sits in my pocket when I`m riding and I never loose signal. The Battery will last me two days before I have to recharge. If I`m stopped and need help I can send out my position to others. If I can`t find someone i can poll them and get their position, and the 5 watt radio works well. We were on a mountain range and pick up another radio over 10 kms away(straight line of sight). It is suppose to be go for 14 miles(21 kms) and I think it would do it without problems.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I currently use a magellan exporist 500, and have had it for a few years. Added the canada topo and battery pack all for under $300 (canadian tire) and figured it would be all I need. And really it is, but hey, why not upgrade.

I am now in the market for a new GPS and was looking at the Garmin 60, more access to topo maps, updated software and all good reviews.

I hadn't looked at the Rino's but after readying everyone's comments on it I may do some more looking.

GPS city seemed to have the best prices and best service in Calgary as well.

I use mine for everything though, driving, quading, sledding, hiking, fishing. Lots of way points I wish I could convert over when I get a new one! I never found the magellan software to be user friendly.

Top Bottom