Grooves in clutch faces What causes them??? POSTING FOR BERNOFF!!!!!!!!!!

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
POSTING FOR BERNOFF!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know what causes the grooves to form in the faces of out clutches??? There was 3 sleds in our group all bought at the same time all driven relatively the same way, but this one seems to be creating grooves in the faces of the primary and the others are still pristine.... What could cause this and how to remedy it???

Is it possibly an alignment issue??? Driving habits??? belt condition/belt selection???

image(4).jpg

Our old 06 revs had somewhat the same issue but not sure why its only one sled out of the group thats acting like this???

Any help is great!!!!!!!!!!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does that particular person warm up or idle there machine more often than the others? The only thing that can be caused by that low in the sheave is the belt running in the same spot for long periods of time. JMO

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does that particular person warm up or idle there machine more often than the others? The only thing that can be caused by that low in the sheave is the belt running in the same spot for long periods of time. JMO

Could it be belt selection too??? If a specific person used a non oem belt (to get off of hill) and that belt even though was listed for an XM but may/may not have a larger overall width, would that cause it too with the long idle time ???

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
whats the spec again.... creep with the track off the ground???. alignment would likely eat belts before the shieve.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that's from the clutch touching , the plastic bushing inside to stop it in the governor cup might be missing or worn

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is warmed up I would say, the same as the other sleds. After that its all fun and tree pruning. Sometimes on the trail I can be slowly increasing the throttle and all of a sudden go like hell as if threw a bunch of nitros into it.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clutch kit bernoff??

When I did my kit in my xp, I was warned that the two half may touch at full shift, but take the blocker out

I've got 2700 km, original belt

Not marks like that

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I think maxwell is right. Excessive idle with the belt wearing just one spot on the primary sheave. I try to warm mine up going up the trail rather then letting it idle in the parking lot forever. I go easy on the throttle the first few clicks.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its all stock in the clutches. The only thing I do is rotate between the belts to keep them wearing the same.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would agree if I had3 or 4 thousand kms on the sled with the 15 minute warmups.Going to clean it in the next few days, might find something then.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say you are running your belt to loose like most people do. Should only have about 1" deflection.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took the clutch apart and don't see anything wrong. The ramps are very tight on the dowel pins. Are they supposed to be tight or just snug.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That don't matter to much. It's the rollers that move not the ramps. It just makes it harder to turn your clicker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom